Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 12:25 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Say the national minimum wage goes from $7.25 to $10.00. Imagine someone who's stayed at a job and gotten annual raises to where they're now getting $10/hr. The law passes and they just got their wage reduced to minimum wage. That's a huge insult to that person's self-esteem and likely their motivation.

Minimum wage laws are nothing but feel-good measures that will do absolutely nothing to help the people they intend to help.

They should complain to Congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 12:26 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
[url=http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2013/07/29/americas-hourly-wage-battle-heats-up/?source=cnn_bin]Even if prices will be a dollar or two higher for items, it's not a big deal for most middle and higher class people.
Who are you to decide what people can and cannot afford?

Do you even have a clue what the profit margins are for fast food restaurants?

Old 07-30-2013, 12:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Say the national minimum wage goes from $7.25 to $10.00. Imagine someone who's stayed at a job and gotten annual raises to where they're now getting $10/hr. The law passes and they just got their wage reduced to minimum wage. That's a huge insult to that person's self-esteem and likely their motivation.

Minimum wage laws are nothing but feel-good measures that will do absolutely nothing to help the people they intend to help.

Maximum unrelated occupancy laws are nothing but feel-good measures that will do nothing to help the people they intend to help.

Oh wait, they're not intended to help burger flippers, they're intended to hurt burger flippers.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:43 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Who are you to decide what people can and cannot afford?

Do you even have a clue what the profit margins are for fast food restaurants?
It's actually surprisingly high, at least for large chains anyway. Pfizer's profit margin is about 20.37% while McD's is 19.71%. Burger King is hovering around 10-11%, YUM brands is just below 10%, Brinker Intl (Chili's) is below 7%. I can understand why Pfizer has a large profit margin, but not McD's.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:45 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,882,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Costco has free wifi?
Some actually do. Why do you need free wifi at a shopping store? Wifi is very cheap anyway.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:01 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times
Quote:
Maximum unrelated occupancy laws are nothing but feel-good measures that will do nothing to help the people they intend to help.

Oh wait, they're not intended to help burger flippers, they're intended to hurt burger flippers.

Fail.

Municipalities collect taxes from each PROPERTY, not from each person living at the property. To allow too many people living at one property is to tax the infrastructure/services of that municipality, so limits on the number of people living at one property are created. (Related persons are usually exempt from that maximum, as breaking up a family is generally not something governments should be doing.) Maximum occupancy laws are much more than feel good measures. And they absolutely have a mostly positive impact on the community.

But you know this already, as I have pointed it out to you several times in other threads where you complain about your inability to buy what you want to buy, and insist on blaming others for that.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:08 PM

433 posts, read 953,900 times
Quote:
If you don't have the money - isn't that the original problem here? - for training, you're not going to become any of the above.
The Money?, you go to any community college at least in FL and TX and if you are really poor you will have a free ride for sure. And if you do not have a free ride, you may request a educational loan. For the mentioned trades, the investment is definitely worth it. Now, please do not waste your loan on some Art History major and then go to complain why you cannot make a living wage. I do not want to bash my fellow history major people but the demand for them is not there to justify a good wage. That's the reality of the marketplace.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:25 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
I am a firm believer that people are poor for good reasons. One of them is this stupid fetish with the minimum wage thing. If people can't see the fact that the higher the wage, the less the purchasing power, then they deserve to stay poor.

By the way, why do people have to work for minimum wage? The fact is that they choose to work that job. Go find a job that pays $100K and problem solved without increasing the minimum wage.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:02 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
sounds like gestapo!!!
Give me rapists and murderers any day what the hell is this country becoming..

what kind of pay do you get to want to work with rapist and murderers???
Pay is decent. Health care is definitely above average. I'm new at this position so I get the crummy schedule/slashed hours. But it's cool. I like the work and the people.

I grew up in the ghetto so I'm very comfortable around the slugs of society. Kids just drive me up a wall though! Lol.

I know most people would take the kids over convicts but a job is really in the eye of the beholder. Even if minimum wage jobs shot up to what I make I'd stay put....even child care. I'm not saying those jobs are beneath me...it's just the way I'm wired. Grant it I don't have a wife and kids at home so I can be more selective.

Let's say general physicians got paid double what they make now. Even if I had the brains and patience to do it (which I don't) I wouldn't pick that path.

Again...wiring. It's the X factor.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:10 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
If minimum wage doubles, so should every other wage out there. Then we are back at square 1 again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies