Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 03:48 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Are you seriously arguing the point that if you take you little kids out, and they make a rip roaring mess, its just the job of others to clean up?

SEROUSLY?
What rip roaring mess? All I saw from the photo's in the OP were a few crumbs. Who cleans up when an adult has too much to drink and makes a rip roaring mess with his dinner back out onto the table? LOL. Guess what it is YOUR job to clean it if it's your establishment. Nobody else is gonna. Or perhaps somebody should start a business where you come in and order then eat and do the dishes clean the table and floor and push the chairs back in and leave?? I doubt that would last long. Maybe a day or two. Of course many of the folks in this thread would eat there so maybe I'm wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
And these are the people who think they don't need to tip the waiter who has to clean up after their children because they think they are PAYING the waiter's salary.
I've not seen one word about tipping in this entire thread. It appears a change of subject is in order for you for some reason.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:02 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I've not seen one word about tipping in this entire thread. It appears a change of subject is in order for you for some reason.
Apparently some people think it's the job of the servers to clean up the mess created by children that goes beyond cleaning a table. There have been threads about how people think that tipping servers is paying their salary and their salary includes serving and cleaning tables AND apparently cleaning up the mess on the floor left by children. Are you one of those people? So it is related.

If you think I'm derailing the thread use the "Report" button - which you are very familiar with.
If you don't like what I post, ignore it or better yet, use the "Ignore" feature - which is your friend.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:04 PM

No that is the job of the bussers.........

"Job Description for Restaurant Busser Position

Job Duties

What Are the Responsibilities of a Restaurant Busser?
Commonly referred to as bus boys, bussers take responsibility for the cleanliness and overall appearance of the dining area of a restaurant. Bus person job duties generally include clearing off and sanitizing tables for the next group of customers, disposing of trash and other waste, and keeping the restaurant stocked with adequate supplies, such as plates, glasses, silverware, and napkins. In many establishments, a bus person may be asked to fulfill a number of additional duties. Bussers often help cooks, servers, dishwashers, and bartenders perform small tasks as needed."

- See more at: Restaurant Busser Jobs - Job Description and Salary Information

Old 08-08-2013, 04:18 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Are you seriously arguing the point that if you take you little kids out, and they make a rip roaring mess, its just the job of others to clean up?

SEROUSLY?
No. I actually never said that. What I said was that in certain circumstances cleaning crumbs off the floor left by children is part of the responsibility of the establishment.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:22 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
but you can teach kids to behave in public, from a year old on. Or if they do not, you march them outside. simple as that. I can think of 2 times when I wanted to personal spank a couple of kids, or maybe the parents: once when a little guy about 18 months old decided screaming at the top of his lungs was acceptable and so did his parents. Obviously it was driving us crazy. we didn't say a word but we did them dirty looks. Our 10 month old granddaughter was sitting there being a good baby. As they left the father or maybe grandfather came over to us and said; just wait til he (not she is older) he will do the same thing. All kids like to scream!!!! the other time I was having lunch with an old friend I only got to see a couple of times a year. A couple of young mommies with 3 toddlers and a baby were sitting next to us. The kids were allowed to get up, throw food and run all over. Never did mommy's even try to quiet them down. We did ask the waiter if there was another place we could sit? His response, sure we can put you at the bar...We choose to stay where we are and luckily the 2 moms left, shortly there after.

Kids should learn at a very young age how to behave. If they can't then mommy and daddy should leave them at home and in no way should it be the job of any restaurant to clean up after your kids or anyone else, other than normal spills and drops we all do. Remind me not to sit next to you next time we go out to eat.
Next time I'm in Arkansas I remember that people there hate children and be sure not to sit next to anyone. Not all children are alike and not all can be trained to "behave" somewhere at 10 months old. And all I have seen so far in this story is crumbs on the floor. What's next, throw out the handicapped person if he drops crumbs? Yeesh, I sometimes forget how much some people hate children.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:39 PM

451 posts, read 769,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Why do you think that is? Because no matter what you keep claiming here these kids who you say are acting up everywhere and bothering patrons everywhere and causing all these disasters at every restaurant USA just isn't reality. If it were these restaurants would take action because it would be costing them business. It's however not costing them business so no action is needed by the business. Now you can go back to your stories.
You're putting words in my mouth. I never said that horrible children are in every restaurant in the country all the time. YOU said that people who don't want to dine with bratty children should patronize restaurants that children don't go to. I asked you twice to name such a place, because in my experience many parents have no concept of what is and is not an appropriate place to bring their children. Now you're getting belligerent because I called you on something you can't back up.

For the people who say you can't teach toddlers manners, I disagree. My friend taught her son to say "thank you" before he could walk. Yes, you have to stay on them about it, because they have the attention span of a goldfish, but it can be done. A lot of parents just don't seem to want to put forth the effort it takes to raise courteous, respectful, responsible human beings. The trouble is that they aren't the only ones who have to put up with the bad behavior. For some reason it is socially taboo to say a word against anyone else's children, so restaurant owners and employees feel helpless to address the situation when things get out of hand.

If the business owner in the OP had this big of a problem with the way the children were behaving, she should have been able to ask the mother to deal with them or leave.

Last edited by ThatCrazyRedhead; 08-08-2013 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: stupid Swype

Old 08-08-2013, 04:44 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,754,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I'm going to have to side with the mother on this one. I expected to see a hellified mess and all I saw in the pics were some crumbs, which could be easily vacuumed, on the floor. then to find out they were eating scones. c'mon. this business owner sounds like a mental case. I'm always wary of businesses that talk about "the right to refuse service".

being a military wife myself with young children, I know how some of these women can be when it comes to supervising and controlling their children, but I can't see how this woman could have done anything different. give a 1 year old and a 3 year old scones, they're going to make crumbs.
I didn't think it was too big of a mess either. however, I am totally skeptical of anyone who is skeptical of business owners right to refuse service.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
You're putting words in my mouth. I never said that horrible children are in every restaurant in the country all the time. YOU said that people who don't want to dine with bratty children should patronize restaurants that children don't go to. I asked you twice to name such a place, because in my experience many parents have no concept of what is and is not an appropriate place to bring their children. Now you're getting belligerent because I called you on something you can't back up.

For the people who say you can't teach toddlers manners, I disagree. My friend taught her son to say "thank you" before he could walk. Yes, you have to stay on them about it, because they have the attention span of a goldfish, but it can be done. A lot of parents just don't seem to want to put forth the effort it takes to raise courteous, respectful, responsible human beings. The trouble is that they aren't the only ones who have to put up with the bad behavior. For some reason it is socially taboo to say a word against anyone else's children, so restaurant owners and employees feel helpless to address the situation when things get out of hand.

If the business owner in the OP had this big of a problem with the way the children were behaving, she should have been able to ask the mother to deal with them or leave.
Well I never said that but kids are kids and throw tantrums sometimes, act up, etc. especially when waiting aorund bored for their food. So do adults at times. I did name such a place your own kitchen. If not your taking a chance that somebody might dare upset you when your out dining. Going out in public has it's downsides like that. Just like your taking the chance somebody could upset you by looking at you the wrong way in your eyes. Best bet is to stay home.

Exactly how am I getting belligerent? Are you eating while your read??

Old 08-08-2013, 04:50 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
Love it.

Oh, my, how my ass smarts just thinking about what would have happened had I acted the way some of today's kids act.

But....parents can no longer spank or punish their kids.

Thank you, Dr. Spock, you freak!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies