Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 01:06 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

The American revolution was hard to explain. Washington, Jefferson, and Madison are all on the list of top 10 richest presidents, due to their land ownership.

America

They were all doing quite well under Brit rule, so why did they rebel? It would be like a Warren Buffet leading an armed revolt today. It's unimaginable that something like that would happen today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 01:12 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"Progress" (as in "Progressives") is moving backward. The "American idea" is still the newest idea in the history of man. The Left's ideas are all old and failed systems from the past, which have been responsible for the oppression of people by the ruling class. That is where they want to take us back to.
Yes, but it only applies to the peasants, not for our ruling class or the war machine we call a gov't.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:38 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,117,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Yes, that's why the vice presidential nominee in 2008 was a woman and the favorite Tea Party candidate for the 2012 race was a black main. And today one of the Republican front runners for 2016 is hispanic.

I'm at a point where I don't think even most people like you really believe that crap anymore. I think you just realize that it's effective propaganda for John Q Public who doesn't take the time to look into things. For someone today who is actually interested in politics to honestly believe in their heart that conservatives are racist and sexist en masse they would have to be complete bonehead. And while I disagree with liberals politically, I don't question their intelligence. So I have to conclude they are using race as a political tactic.

Another piece that goes to support this is how liberals denigrate any and all evidence of conservatives not being racists. If they were sincere in their beliefs, then logic dictates they would welcome something like Nikki Haley - a woman and a minority - being in the Republican party and being elected governor of a southern state. But they don't. It really gives the lie to liberals who claim to want the advancement of minorities. They just want the advancement of themselves and want minorities to be their issue. They thrive on identity politics.
That was all for show. McCain had to compete and thought that since Hillary was out, that all stupid women needed was to "break the glass ceiling" with a Palin...boy were the wrong about American women.

Mr. 999 was their answer to running a black guy to compete with Obama...what a charade!

Old 08-11-2013, 02:01 PM

7,498 posts, read 5,747,274 times
Quote:
"Progress" (as in "Progressives") is moving backward. The "American idea" is still the newest idea in the history of man. The Left's ideas are all old and failed systems from the past, which have been responsible for the oppression of people by the ruling class. That is where they want to take us back to.
If you think about this it makes total sense. Progressives need handlers and do not like to take personal responsibility or suffer hardwork to achieve some level of personal success. They need to feel as if someone has control, someone is the director of their lives and will help them through life's ups and downs. They do that by sucking the life out of others who are self sufficient and driven. It's a pathetic movement void of individual responsibility, accountability and moral aptitude.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:13 PM

2,385 posts, read 1,586,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
We have much more reason to revolt against the federal government today than the colonists did to go up against the British in the 18th Century.

It is a small wonder that a revolution hasn't yet occurred.
I think as long as people have enough to eat, have housing, have their iphones and cable tv everything will stay calm. Once that changes, things will get interesting in this country.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:22 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,297,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Yes, but it only applies to the peasants, not for our ruling class or the war machine we call a gov't.
Why do you call our government a "war machine?" That is a cliché. Explain what you mean.

One of the primary purposes of the Federal government is to provide for the common defense, as stated in the Constitution. This is an important consideration, especially in today's world.

However, even in Colonial times, Islamic pirates (the Barbary Pirates) were pillaging our ships on the high seas. This called for the formation of a Navy to deal with the threat. It's interesting to note that Islamic pirates still operate today, and threaten, and have even taken captive, sailors off the coast of Africa.

We live in a world that is even more dangerous today, our main threat being that of Islam, which once nearly obliterated Christianity in much of Europe, save for the Crusades, which drove them back. Even so, much of Christendom, what was once the Byzantine Empire (the Eastern Roman Empire), fell to Islam (Turkey, and about all of North Africa).

Muslims are at war with Christianity and all of Western civilization. Yet, we will not say that we are at war with Islam. Are we so naive? Or, are we too "politically correct" to acknowledge our enemy?

The goals of Islam have not changed since the Muslim hordes ravaged Europe.

Defense is important, if we are to survive such a threat. 9/11/2001 was a "shot across the bow." It seems that we have already forgotten this event.

Fort Hood was another warning, and so was the Boston bombing.

Wake up!

Old 08-11-2013, 04:31 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Yes, that's why the vice presidential nominee in 2008 was a woman and the favorite Tea Party candidate for the 2012 race was a black main. And today one of the Republican front runners for 2016 is hispanic.

I'm at a point where I don't think even most people like you really believe that crap anymore. I think you just realize that it's effective propaganda for John Q Public who doesn't take the time to look into things. For someone today who is actually interested in politics to honestly believe in their heart that conservatives are racist and sexist en masse they would have to be complete bonehead. And while I disagree with liberals politically, I don't question their intelligence. So I have to conclude they are using race as a political tactic.

Another piece that goes to support this is how liberals denigrate any and all evidence of conservatives not being racists. If they were sincere in their beliefs, then logic dictates they would welcome something like Nikki Haley - a woman and a minority - being in the Republican party and being elected governor of a southern state. But they don't. It really gives the lie to liberals who claim to want the advancement of minorities. They just want the advancement of themselves and want minorities to be their issue. They thrive on identity politics.
Of course. Just like them being anti-war unless it's their guy beating the drums. They don't even give a damn about the environment, it's about control! EPA doesn't even apply to the gov't or military, who are the largest polluters of all. They exist to harrass individuals and corporations that they don't like for political reasons. Same with IRS today, they are the muscle of this mafia syndicate, pay to play.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:44 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I never thought conservatives wanted to take us back to the 1870s. I think they want to take us back to the good old glorious 1950s, when white men ruled the world and women and minorities knew their place.
Actually the democratic party was full of bigots and segregationists....just sayin. Pres Johnson voted against the civil rights act before becoming prez. You did know that right?

Now, seriously, we do not want to go back to the 50's, but to get those cars back...now that is tempting.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:47 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
That was all for show. McCain had to compete and thought that since Hillary was out, that all stupid women needed was to "break the glass ceiling" with a Palin...boy were the wrong about American women.

Mr. 999 was their answer to running a black guy to compete with Obama...what a charade!
And the DNC's answer after a dismal performance by their 2008 pick is to push an old fat, pseudo liberal white woman up to the podium.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 08-11-2013, 04:57 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Why do you call our government a "war machine?" That is a cliché. Explain what you mean.

One of the primary purposes of the Federal government is to provide for the common defense, as stated in the Constitution. This is an important consideration, especially in today's world.

When was the last time we had to defend the USA? 1812
When was the last time congress declared war, from an attack of our military? 1941

So, we have been on offense, in some foreign nation ever since.
I don't call that defense. I call that conquering the world a little at a time.
Skrew leading the free world, there is a fight to rule it right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies