Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 07:09 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,988,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
still doesn't disprove my post. just because RR and GW spent more time on vacation, they also spent more time while on vacation working. something pbo just doesn't do.

air force one is a no equation for me, as air force one is always there for the potus, no matter who is potus.

I do not agree with the 1st lady and kids going off on their own separate vacation either on the taxpayer dime.
According to the Smerconish video in my OP, at this point in their Presidency:

• Obama took 14 trips - 95 vacation days
  • Clinton took 11 trips - 84 vacation days
  • Reagan took 29 trips - 180 vacation days
  • Bush took a whopping 50 trips - 323 vacation days!
So you think Bush's 50 trips (100 flights of Air Force One) was cheap to the taxpayer?

Or how about Reagan's 29 trips (58 flights of AFO)?

How about taxpayers paying for the Secret Service to travel (flight, meals, living accommodations) ?

And once again ... you have NO IDEA of how much time any of the presidents actually "works" while on vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 07:17 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,043,981 times
Can you show us a presidential schedule for GWB that showed him to be on "vacation" for those 50 trips?

Old 08-12-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Can you show us a presidential schedule for GWB that showed him to be on "vacation" for those 50 trips?
As stated in my OP:

Critics bash Obama's plans for vacay

Quote:
At the same point in Bush's presidency, the 43rd president had spent 367 days at his ranch in Crawford, Texas, and his parent's compound at Kennebunkport, Maine, according to a count by CBS News reporter Mark Knoller. Obama, who doesn't own a vacation home, has spent a total of 92 days of his presidency on vacation, according to Knoller.
Mark Knoller has been keeping track of this sort of data for many presidents.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:25 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
But unlike Obama, Bush and Reagan had a fully operational oval office at their ranches.
It also saved tax dollars by them being at the ranch, instead of the whitehouse.
Bush & Reagan paid for their bills while at the Ranch, with their own pay checks.
Really?

Quote:
The President has spent about one year of his 6 1/2 years in office vacationing in California. And those 356 days--the unofficial estimate of the White House transportation office--haven't been cheap.
Quote:
An unofficial and very conservative estimate based on knowledgeable sources puts the taxpayers' share of the 25-day rest at $600,298.

Considering that the Reagans visit the ranch at least three times a year and Palm Springs each New Year's--expenses for the presidential vacations in California have easily topped $8 million since they moved into the White House.
Quote:
The government also picks up the tab for people coming to the coast on official business.
Quote:
Some members of the presidential entourage reportedly arrange for short-term housing in apartments during their summer stays; the rest book into Santa Barbara hotels, mainly the Sheraton and the Biltmore.

Entourage members this trip rented 20 to 25 rooms at the Sheraton, including "a good percentage of the ocean-view rooms," according to the general manager. Assuming the same number at the Biltmore, 50 rooms at the two hotels for 24 nights of vacation at $100 a night (standard rates at the hotel range from $79 to $230) cost $120,000. Those seven visitors at the Red Lion would add an additional $700.
A hell of a lot of money back then!
And there is a lot more here Reagan's Vacation : When the President Takes Time Off Out Here, the Costs and the Logistics Are Enormous - Los Angeles Times about the added cost when the presdent "conducts" business at a place other than the White House.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
As stated in my OP:

Mark Knoller has been keeping track of this sort of data for many presidents.
Your own link doesn't actually say that the time GWB spent at his ranch was vacation time, I'm asking you a simple question. Show me where the trips that GWB took to Crawford TX were considered to be "vacation" time. All of the trips that Obama takes for campaigning aren't counted as vacation are they? No of course they aren't.

Let's compare apples to apples here, show me something proving that those 50 trips that Bush took were vacation trips.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
But unlike Obama, Bush and Reagan had a fully operational oval office at their ranches.
It also saved tax dollars by them being at the ranch, instead of the whitehouse.
Bush & Reagan paid for their bills while at the Ranch, with their own pay checks.

They paid for their own food and toiletries, no different than in the white house.. The rest was on the government. For Reagan this included the government picking up the tab for building a fully functional compound somewhere on the 688 acres of ranch property.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:32 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
So the Op suggests that because others did it or were worse then that makes it okay to do. We don't normally let our children use this excuse so I am wondering why as adults it is an acceptable excuse.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:36 PM

27,160 posts, read 15,334,701 times
Quote:
Republicans love to complain about Obama's vacation days.

Well your guy George W. Bush racked up a total of 323 vacation days at this point in his presidency compared to Obama's 95 days.

Reagan at this point took 180 days.

Clinton at this point took only 84 days.

So the next time you complain about Obama's vacation time ... you should first take a look at the time spent by the guys YOU put into office!

Watch the video here:

Michael Smerconish on Presidential Vacation Time

And Bush's number may even be higher than reported above:

You had your 8 years to bit^h, and you did rather loudly, it's our turn.

Don't like it?

Old 08-12-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Your own link doesn't actually say that the time GWB spent at his ranch was vacation time, I'm asking you a simple question. Show me where the trips that GWB took to Crawford TX were considered to be "vacation" time. All of the trips that Obama takes for campaigning aren't counted as vacation are they? No of course they aren't.

Let's compare apples to apples here, show me something proving that those 50 trips that Bush took were vacation trips.
You are talking semantics. There is no need to prove anything.

For Bush, Crawford and Kennebunkport were his personal places of choice whenever he left Washington. They are places where his family and friends live, and Texas is where he lived before he became president.

For Obama, it's Hawaii because that is where he grew up, and where his family and friends are located.

Presidents do not have a certain amount of vacation days like you find at most jobs, so calling them "vacation days" is really not relevant, even though that is what they are.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
You are talking semantics. There is no need to prove anything.

For Bush, Crawford and Kennebunkport were his personal places of choice whenever he left Washington. They are places where his family and friends live, and Texas is where he lived before he became president.

For Obama, it's Hawaii because that is where he grew up, and where his family and friends are located.

Presidents do not have a certain amount of vacation days like you find at most jobs, so calling them "vacation days" is really not relevant, even though that is what they are.

I'm not talking semantics, I'm talking basic common sense. If GWB went to Crawford TX that doesn't automatically mean he was "on vacation". It's widely known that he had a fully functional compound there which kept him able to work, why would you and every other liberal out there assume that when he went to Crawford that he was on vacation?

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-13-2013 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: Language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies