Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 08:21 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Gay people? DINK? Any business is CRAZY to offend them! They usually have high incomes, higher levels of education, no children, and they throw lavish, over the top parties.

Some business owners have no sense.
Wow. Such stereotypes. Actually, research shows that gay men have lower incomes than straight men.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:35 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
We have overwhelming evidence that the free market can't be trusted with this sort of thing.

Regardless, you are entitled to your opinion. At the same time, we decided many decades ago that we would in fact regulate a business's ability to discriminate. You can feel that is wrong or unjust, but it is the law and it's not going to change now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Firstly, I'd like you to provide the "overwhelming evidence", since there has never been anything like a free market in the modern world.
Secondly, your arrogance is staggering. Who are you to decree that something is the law and it will never change?
Lol. Let'em live in his fantasy online world. He feels "empowered" screaming in the wind.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:45 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
That was asked before, but no one seems to want to answer it. I sure wouldn't want to force someone to make me a food item.
They should put their money where there mouth is or rather vice versa. If this is really about cake then it would be interesting to see if any of the avowed homosexual darlings or their sympathizers would come clean and provide an answer. You and I or any other reasonable person for that matter would reply in the negative with regards to consuming food prepared under force and duress. They claim to want cake but would they eat it?

The angry militant homosexual bullies don’t want to admit that it has nothing to do with the cake and everything to do with forcing people into unconditional compliance with their homosexual agenda. If anyone dares to have the audacity to hold a different opinion or disagree with them these diabolical terrorists enjoy extracting retribution and take great pleasure in dishing out excessive and unreasonable punitive measures. A lovely bunch of haters indeed.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:47 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
They should put their money where there mouth is or rather vice versa. If this is really about cake then it would be interesting to see if any of the avowed homosexual darlings or their sympathizers would come clean and provide an answer. You and I or any other reasonable person for that matter would reply in the negative with regards to consuming food prepared under force and duress. They claim to want cake but would they eat it?

The angry militant homosexual bullies don’t want to admit that it has nothing to do with the cake and everything to do with forcing people into unconditional compliance with their homosexual agenda. If anyone dares to have the audacity to hold a different opinion or disagree with them these diabolical terrorists enjoy extracting retribution and take great pleasure in dishing out excessive and unreasonable punitive measures. A lovely bunch of haters indeed.
If I could rep you again, I would. An excellent summary of the current situation.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:47 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Gay people are not seeking more and more power, we are seeking equality. It is really as simple as that.
Some do seek power and control - some don't. As for equality - I am an older guy and can go back decades and report to you that gays were always treated equally and with care and respect just like any normal decent person treats other people....If it was 1965 and there were a few gays in the neighbor hood...all that was said was "Bob is a gay as a rose" - older gay couples were left alone and they led private lives...There was no big deal about it back then- NOW they turn the whole thing into a major issue...If someone was different they were simply referred to as "*****" or different.

YOU had equality and you had respect - what you have now is conflict- why I don't know.

I really do not remember anyone being denied employment or being hated - or persecuted...Jerks who persecute other human beings don't give a damn if you are black - gay - smart or stupid...Jerks to not discriminate on who they seek to oppress and persecute. People assume that there have been great strides forward as far as the tiny gay minority...I see things regressing and resentments forming...Once something becomes political all is lost.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:56 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Would you eat a cake prepared by a bakery that didn’t want to do business with you but you managed to bully them into compliance?
It just might be the most expensive ugly cake in history!
Let's see...
a 4-layer pineapple upside down cake with butterscotch and caramel frosting and cream cheese filling, coated with whipped cream made with brown sugar...
What could the toppers be?
Any ideas?

Old 08-16-2013, 09:01 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,938,415 times
As this thread shows, homophobes will be homophobes (and then whine that they're not homophobes). Good on this couple for calling out the backwards, insecure owners of the bakery. Now good people know not to give them thier business.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:02 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
As this thread shows, homophobes will be homophobes (and then whine that they're not homophobes). Good on this couple for calling out the backwards, insecure owners of the bakery. Now good people know not to give them thier business.
LOL. You've got it backwards. Good people now know to give them their business. I would.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:25 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Um, none. But then again Oregon is in no way whatsoever bypassing the Constitution here.
What about the rights of the bakery owner? Or are rights one-sided?

Old 08-16-2013, 10:40 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
What about the rights of the bakery owner? Or are rights one-sided?
Statues very often have to play a balancing act with rights. I am more than okay with taking away the right of a business owner to discriminate and deny service based on an innate, biological characteristic such as race or sexual orientation in order to preserve the right for all people to be able to freely engage in commerce - a public good.

You're the one who seems to think that public accommodation anti-discrimination laws such as this Oregon one violate the Constitution. Would you care to explain to me how? I don't see it (and the courts haven't seen it either).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies