Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 11:47 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Because they need a Boogeyman!!!!
I don't think it is so much looking for a boogeyman. I feel that stories regarding violence seem to capture people far more. Violence gets people's attention far more. As to why violence grabs a person's attention, that is another discussion.

Old 08-10-2014, 11:55 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
And what criminal offenses are the ones that usually put black men behind bars? Drug offenses. What a colossal waste of lives and public resources. Not difficult to figure out what effect it has on blacks when so many black men are locked up for the better part of their most productive years for dope offenses.

Have you noticed that the right-wingers who are on here who are suddenly crowing about 4th and 5th Amendment rights have little to say about "stop and frisk" in NYC? See, they only care about such things when they think it will affect them. When it's those dirty Negroes or any of the myriad other groups they don't like, not only are some indifferent, many are fully behind trampling on their Constitutional freedoms.

Nope, I never noticed any conservative express concern over stop and frisk in NYC.

I suppose it's because they don't live there and the people who do live there won't completely eliminate the program because they don't want the crime.

New York's vote to curb stop-and-frisk is another win for civil rights | Brittny Saunders | Comment is free | theguardian.com

Old 08-10-2014, 12:29 PM

This is often what I see. Whenever White people go on shooting rampages, such as what Elliot Rogers did this year, people try to go to the "he was mentally ill" or "he played too many video games". If Black people shoot and kill each other, no one asks why. It's chalked up to "that's Black people for you" or "they do this because Black people are defective of defficient, or something related to their race". It is the way people are viewed on the occasion they commit a crime that is an issue. If a White person commits a violent crime, it is looked at as "mental illness" or "someone made that person upset". Whenever a Black person commits a crime, everything about that person's race is brought up.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Nope, I never noticed any conservative express concern over stop and frisk in NYC.

I suppose it's because they don't live there and the people who do live there won't completely eliminate the program because they don't want the crime.

New York's vote to curb stop-and-frisk is another win for civil rights | Brittny Saunders | Comment is free | theguardian.com
The persons who are the most affected by it are the ones who are going to express the most concern.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:36 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,147 times
They should bring stop-and-frisk to the East Side of St. Paul. I'd be totally fine with it and think it would be another step in the right direction to clean up the bad rubbish in the neighborhood.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:45 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is often what I see. Whenever White people go on shooting rampages, such as what Elliot Rogers did this year, people try to go to the "he was mentally ill" or "he played too many video games". If Black people shoot and kill each other, no one asks why. It's chalked up to "that's Black people for you" or "they do this because Black people are defective of defficient, or something related to their race". It is the way people are viewed on the occasion they commit a crime that is an issue. If a White person commits a violent crime, it is looked at as "mental illness" or "someone made that person upset". Whenever a Black person commits a crime, everything about that person's race is brought up.
I don't know what you're talking about. Whenever a white person goes on a shooting rampage, it's usually some dude going in a mall, school, or other public place shooting strangers and leaving behind some written manifesto. Yeah, that's insane.

When a black person goes on a shooting rampage, it's usually gang violence. I think most people understand the latter and realize it's not insanity, but war. The lone shooter in a school or mall is very rare, though frightening and mind-boggling. The drive-by is somewhat common in certain neighborhoods. I don't blame black people or think black people are defective, but I do have to wonder why so many call for an end to stop-and-frisk or decriminalization of drugs and petty thefts when they're the ones benefiting from it.

I actually heard someone say the prison system is apartheid in America, as if there are a bunch of innocent people there. I do think there are problems with the judicial system, but I also don't want to see property theft being decriminalized or drugs other than marijuana being decriminalized. I think stop-and-frisk is probably unconstitutional, but I do not live in New York and I can actually understand why so many there like the program. New York City has less murders than smaller cities with half the population. I don't mean less per capita, but less total murders. That being said, I'd fight to get rid of it on constitutional grounds if I lived there. If I was a member of a group known to be disproportionately targeted, I'd probably refrain from walking around town with a gun or a joint.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
They should bring stop-and-frisk to the East Side of St. Paul. I'd be totally fine with it and think it would be another step in the right direction to clean up the bad rubbish in the neighborhood.
I'm not you. The police aren't as likely to frisk you. If anything, it would be done to me. I am not fine with the police randomly stopping me and searching me. Why? This is my perspective. If I haven't broken any laws, if I haven't done anything suspicious, leave me alone.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don't know what you're talking about. Whenever a white person goes on a shooting rampage, it's usually some dude going in a mall, school, or other public place shooting strangers and leaving behind some written manifesto. Yeah, that's insane.

When a black person goes on a shooting rampage, it's usually gang violence. I think most people understand the latter and realize it's not insanity, but war. The lone shooter in a school or mall is very rare, though frightening and mind-boggling. The drive-by is somewhat common in certain neighborhoods. I don't blame black people or think black people are defective, but I do have to wonder why so many call for an end to stop-and-frisk or decriminalization of drugs and petty thefts when they're the ones benefiting from it.

I actually heard someone say the prison system is apartheid in America, as if there are a bunch of innocent people there. I do think there are problems with the judicial system, but I also don't want to see property theft being decriminalized or drugs other than marijuana being decriminalized. I think stop-and-frisk is probably unconstitutional, but I do not live in New York and I can actually understand why so many there like the program. New York City has less murders than smaller cities with half the population. I don't mean less per capita, but less total murders. That being said, I'd fight to get rid of it on constitutional grounds if I lived there. If I was a member of a group known to be disproportionately targeted, I'd probably refrain from walking around town with a gun or a joint.
I never said you blamed violence from Black people on being Black. I wasn't talking about the way you see it. I was talking about a consensus. And the consensus I see is this. I see some people blaming race as the issue why many Blacks commit violence.

I've never been to New York City for myself. Honestly, this is the way I see the rationale behind stop and frisk. I see it as being willing to live under a police state. I don't see Blacks really benefiting from stop and frisk. The way I see it, many who support themselves being subjected to it, well, I can't quite figure that out. I would not support it because I know it would mean I am more likely to be stopped and frisked, as a Black man. I do agree with it being unconstitutional. I can guess the rationale behind someone who would support S and F, knowing they are the least likely to be stopped.

1) Fear
2) The feeling that some people shouldn't have their constitutional rights respected
3) Not being able to relate to those who are the most likely to be subjected to it.

One thing to consider about New York City is this. Guiliani went after some quality of life crimes, such as graffiti. NYC went through an overhaul. Alot of the worst elements of NYC left the city, and went to neighboring states such as New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Now there are crimes occurring out there. New York City is also more expensive than it used to be.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:37 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm not you. The police aren't as likely to frisk you. If anything, it would be done to me. I am not fine with the police randomly stopping me and searching me. Why? This is my perspective. If I haven't broken any laws, if I haven't done anything suspicious, leave me alone.
I've been pulled over on the East Side because I "looked suspicious" before. And I'm sure if they brought in stop-and-frisk they would consider doing it to me as well.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
I've been pulled over on the East Side because I "looked suspicious" before. And I'm sure if they brought in stop-and-frisk they would consider doing it to me as well.
Well, I am not going to be okay with it. As Benjamin Franklin once said. He who gives up essential liberties for temporary security will get neither. I'm not willing to give up anything. S and F is unconstitutional. Illegal search and seizure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies