Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 06:10 PM

24,865 posts, read 24,451,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Yeah, it was around that time frame. I remember that my grandpa smoked kents and talked about how cool the filter made the smoke. He died of lung cancer.
Luckily only my great grandmother and my great uncle had lung cancer. I quit the day I found out I was goijg to be a father. That was 10 years ago. I recently got my mother to try one a few weeks ago. I tgink she might like the flavors. She has smoked since she was 10, and is now in her 50s. I worry about her, and I told her that im not asking her to quit, but to try e cigs, at least if to cut back on the real thing. So far shes down to a pack a day. She usually smokes 2.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:12 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,260,678 times
I haven't touched a cigarette for over 3 years since I got my first e-cig. Granted it was a crappy brand that has since been bought out by big tobacco, but it opened the door for me. Now I have over 100 flavors, and several models of e-cigs. It has become more of a hobby for me now, but I still love the flavors, and they curb my sweet tooth.

I, personally, don't think that cigarettes should be banned. However I won't be buying another pack.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:16 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,309,065 times
My sister is using e-cigs to help her quit. She'd tried a different brand a few years ago, but it wasn't quite right for her, so she went back to actual tobacco. This new one is different, and she likes it. The place she goes to get the flavors has hundreds.

I'm glad she's switched, because our father died of lung cancer at 41. I'd like to keep her around a little longer.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:07 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,691,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I haven't touched a cigarette for over 3 years since I got my first e-cig. Granted it was a crappy brand that has since been bought out by big tobacco, but it opened the door for me. Now I have over 100 flavors, and several models of e-cigs. It has become more of a hobby for me now, but I still love the flavors, and they curb my sweet tooth.

I, personally, don't think that cigarettes should be banned. However I won't be buying another pack.
Banning cigarettes should be a personal choice rather than a government mandate, even though I'm aware of and carry the negative results of their effects.

Good for you for quitting and taking up e-cigs. My life became substantially better when I stopped smoking tobacco. I'm sure your's has too.

Last edited by mohawkx; 08-18-2013 at 07:16 PM..

Old 08-18-2013, 07:15 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,709,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I used to be a smoker, years ago. There was no e-cigarette option. I've tried one, it tastes fine, not a marlboro red, but still tastes fine. I remember I smoked mainly for the nicotine. It wasn't about the taste of the cigarette. This is evident in people switching to cheaper and cheaper brands with higher and higher taxation.

Cigarettes, are not like cigars. Cigars are a taste, and its not something I smoke for a nicotine high. I enjoy the smoke, the flavor, and I really like it when I'm drinking. I don't see a "e-cigar" being as good as a naturally grown tobacco leaf.

But when your pulling the smoke through a filter, you're already messing with the natural flavor. Then it becomes more about the drug, not the smoke. The drug can be administered through water vapor.

So, after careful study of e cigarette effects, should we outlaw regular cigarettes?

I know two former smokers who have thrown away the packs for these things. Hell, I liked Nicotine so much I thought about using them myself. But I figured I could save the money and go with coffee. My choice though.

Just food for discussion, carry on.
Leave out the stupidest of words: OUTLAW, and you are on to something. Why, oh why must liberals always ban stuff? Do they not have the sense to stop on their own?

I love ecigs. Been vaping for close to 5 years. I still have the occasional cig, and I honestly don't know why. I just like 'em, I guess. But I gave up a nearly 3 pack a day habit because of rising taxes on the things and for a long time, only vaped. Then I mooched a Cherry Clipper Little Cigar off a friend just to see what it was, and now I smoke them every now and then. Even though they're called Cigars, they're cigarettes in brown wrappers.

Love my ecigs, though. Coffee/Chocolate.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:17 PM

13,645 posts, read 10,044,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So if they outlawed cigarettes, real ones tomorrow, could you make due with the e-cigs? I mean there seems to be a rational MASSIVE health and cost savings to the federal government by doing that. If we are going to pay for a national healthcare system at anyrate.

all of that barring full research on e-cigs. I know the scientific jury is still out on just how healthy they are.
I think if hey banned real ones I'd just have to give it up all together, if I could. I kinda feel like e cigs are just prolonging the inevitable - meaning that you should stop when you're ready rather than switching to the supposed lesser of the two evils. A nicotine addiction is still a millstone, anyway you deliver it.

I actually smoke less than 10 a day now, and never a whole one. Just enough to keep the withdrawals at bay I guess.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I think if hey banned real ones I'd just have to give it up all together, if I could. I kinda feel like e cigs are just prolonging the inevitable - meaning that you should stop when you're ready rather than switching to the supposed lesser of the two evils. A nicotine addiction is still a millstone, anyway you deliver it.

I actually smoke less than 10 a day now, and never a whole one. Just enough to keep the withdrawals at bay I guess.
Actually getting into the actual pharmacology of it all, cigarette addiction is two addictions. One is the addiction to nicotine. The other is addiction to what is called "hand to mouth". People who smoke more than a pack a day and light one up every 45 minutes become addicted to the process of smoking in addition to the nicotine. Hand to mouth is no different than compulsive eating.
I personally found that kicking the nicotine habit was the easy part with e-cigs. You just lower the nic in your juice very gradually until there is 0% nic and lot's of flavor. I recommend double flavor juices when you remove all the nic.
It took me a year to go from 24mg of nic to 0mg and I never looked back. It took me over 2 years to get to a point where I leave my e-cigs at home and just have a toke or two when i watch the tele or relate to the zoo that is P&OC.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:30 PM

45,309 posts, read 26,580,169 times
Nonsmoker here, butt why do the real ones need to be banned, cant peple just decide for themselves?

Old 08-18-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Nonsmoker here, butt why do the real ones need to be banned, cant peple just decide for themselves?
That seems to be the consensus. Banning should be a personal choice rather than a government mandate.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:01 PM

32,147 posts, read 15,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I finally quit 8 years ago and that was my decision. Smoking should absolutely not be banned. Have we learned nothing from prohibition. If you want to have a nonsmoking ban inside then that is reasonable but to ban smoking in outdoor areas is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies