Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:01 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,078,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So, after careful study of e cigarette effects, should we outlaw regular cigarettes?
The bolded above is your pertinent question.

As a child of parents who smoked, and a former leader in a group that advocated for anti-smoking laws, Harrier gives an adamant answer of no.

Allow the free market to work.

E-cigarettes fill a niche, and they help to break the addictions of smokers.

However, Harrier does not support the banning of cigarettes, and as he does support the legalization of all drugs.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:02 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,078,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I finally quit 8 years ago and that was my decision. Smoking should absolutely not be banned. Have we learned nothing from prohibition. If you want to have a nonsmoking ban inside then that is reasonable but to ban smoking in outdoor areas is crazy.
on your post - and congratulations on quitting!

Old 08-18-2013, 09:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,062,750 times
That is like saying with near beer why do we need real beer.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:27 PM

32,162 posts, read 15,172,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
on your post - and congratulations on quitting!
Thank you Harrier, we never agree on anything lol What I don't like is college campuses and this ban. I don't see anything wrong with being able to smoke in between buildings on campus. I realize it's their property but no one owns the air.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:29 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,691,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That is like saying with near beer why do we need real beer.
Unless you drink a whole lot, beer will never do what cigarettes do to you. I can attest to that.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:58 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,316,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
It took me a year to go from 24mg of nic to 0mg and I never looked back. It took me over 2 years to get to a point where I leave my e-cigs at home and just have a toke or two when i watch the tele or relate to the zoo that is P&OC.

Hmm I instantly went from an average pack and a half a day to NOTHING after smoking for ten years, no drugs, no patch, no E-cigs, just cold turkey.

When I stopped smoking if I count the extra smokers pay for their health insurance at work, I instantly got a $75/week raise.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:10 PM

11,176 posts, read 10,758,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Hmm I instantly went from an average pack and a half a day to NOTHING after smoking for ten years, no drugs, no patch, no E-cigs, just cold turkey.

When I stopped smoking if I count the extra smokers pay for their health insurance at work, I instantly got a $75/week raise.
Just counting the cost of cigarettes, I saved an average of $65 a week by cutting back from 2 packs a day to 1 pack or so a week.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:38 PM

234 posts, read 185,152 times
Yet the adddiction is to nicotine and so why not ban them altogether? France has banned them, Australia considers e-cigs and vaping liquid a controlled substance due to nicotine concentrated as such can be posionous. And Australians are a bright freedom-loving progressive people finally free from being considered mere penal stock and taking their place in the world as a truly civilized society!

If Americans were truly interested in being healthy and addiction-free, all these things should be done away with. Big Pharma will simply take the place of anything that can be profited off of and we all know corporate profits are bad unless they are given over to non-profit corporations who work benevolently on our behalf.

Anyone who needs nicotine or a drink or a toke of marijuana- even a lite beer! is really just dependent on an unnecessary drug that is not good for anything but altering blood chemistry and is existentially the same as popping heroin or methamphetamine. Who wants to be even remotely seen as an addict? No one. So give up the beer and the toke and the rest and realize your glorious potential! That, or be seen as a filthy addict full of hate for others and selfish, too, selfishness and asocial behavior masquerading as independence being the ugliest thing anyone can be associated with in this day and age.

It is time to forego these horrible addictions so as to live fully, work toward developing ourselves to our utmost potential. You don't need to vape or chug a beer. You need to become one with the rest of the collective conscience and contribute your fair share so that all may thrive. That is the right thing to do and if you don't know that, someone is bound by duty to inform you otherwise.

No one needs a cigarette or another electronic device to become addicted to. Rather than vape, join FB and show the world how glorious you are to be free from whatever it is that has been decided to be bad for you. Undoubtedly, it is bad for you and who really wants to do bad things to oneself?

Old 08-18-2013, 10:40 PM

255 posts, read 220,186 times
Banning cigarettes will never happen. It's like prohibition; there are too many that actually enjoy smoking and/or are simply addicted and believe they can't quit. Also, the public outcry would overwhelm the legislators. Not to mention all the money wrapped up in tobacco. That's money that goes into campaigns and politicians wouldn't dream of turning off that spout.

But while we are on the topic of e-cigs, did anyone here know that on top of the Utah Indoor Clean Air Act (making smoking within 25 feet of building entrances illegal) Salt Lake City (or one of the other lesser nearby cities) is actually debating making using e-cigs indoors illegal as well. I don't smoke, I will never smoke. But what is the point of coming up with alternatives that don't adversely affect those around you if you are going to ban those as well? Maybe it was the image of smoking that is offensive.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:43 PM

11,176 posts, read 10,758,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Smell View Post
Yet the adddiction is to nicotine and so why not ban them altogether? France has banned them, Australia considers e-cigs and vaping liquid a controlled substance due to nicotine concentrated as such can be posionous. And Australians are a bright freedom-loving progressive people finally free from being considered mere penal stock and taking their place in the world as a truly civilized society!

If Americans were truly interested in being healthy and addiction-free, all these things should be done away with. Big Pharma will simply take the place of anything that can be profited off of and we all know corporate profits are bad unless they are given over to non-profit corporations who work benevolently on our behalf.

Anyone who needs nicotine or a drink or a toke of marijuana- even a lite beer! is really just dependent on an unnecessary drug that is not good for anything but altering blood chemistry and is existentially the same as popping heroin or methamphetamine. Who wants to be even remotely seen as an addict? No one. So give up the beer and the toke and the rest and realize your glorious potential! That, or be seen as a filthy addict full of hate for others and selfish, too, selfishness and asocial behavior masquerading as independence being the ugliest thing anyone can be associated with in this day and age.

It is time to forego these horrible addictions so as to live fully, work toward developing ourselves to our utmost potential. You don't need to vape or chug a beer. You need to become one with the rest of the collective conscience and contribute your fair share so that all may thrive. That is the right thing to do and if you don't know that, someone is bound by duty to inform you otherwise.

No one needs a cigarette or another electronic device to become addicted to. Rather than vape, join FB and show the world how glorious you are to be free from whatever it is that has been decided to be bad for you. Undoubtedly, it is bad for you and who really wants to do bad things to oneself?
Can't tell if sarcasm or not.

If it isn't, well, thanks for the pep talk. However, it shouldn't be the government's place to tell citizens what they can or cannot do to their own bodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies