Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 08:57 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Folks can't seem to grasp it. Blacks aren't just out killing people for no cause. No matter how whacked their reasoning, there is a reason. And until we do something about the drug laws in this country, things will not change.

There was rampant violence surrounding Prohibition that evaporated with legalization. The problem is that there is no incentive to dealing with the drug war when the victims are brown.
So very true.

I come from an are that was hit hard during Prohibition. It wasn't blacks controlling the bootlegging rackets, it was the white population. And they killed Police, killed those in their way, and terrorized the city. But no one is assuming that all white people are violent. Or bad. Or drug dealers.

The statistics the OP is hinting at does more to highlight the disparities created in this country more so than anything else IMO.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:03 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
If you really thought about what you typed, you'd figure out your own answer.

If you think the issue has to do with race, go to Russia, or time warp back to 1930's Chicago or turn of Century New York.

If your wanting to know why our crime rates are so high in this country, well, look at what historically has caused high crime rates.
So what's the reason for high black crime rates in Canada? Very little black oppression or slavery to speak of, yet so many act EXACTLY like their American counterparts. Namely ghetto as hell and constant crime and murder. Explain why?

Quote:
Do you not deal with white crime in "your" city and in "your" country? How do you feel about it?
Living in Toronto, NO I don't deal with much white crime because there's very little of it at least when it comes to violent crime. It will be once in a blue moon that you'll ever hear of a white person being involved in a shooting or stabbing or murder that happens in the streets. And its very rare that you'll hear of any muggings and only somewhat frequent that you'll have a sexual assault that involves whites.

So I feel great that the vast majority of my race (and most non-blacks for that matter) chooses to live in peace rather than commit crime.

Quote:
*And just to note, rampant oppression from a mere 50 years ago is nothing to brush aside. Many of those people are living today. Have you not learned about life from your parents/grandparents? If you were born in an age of extreme discrimination (and in many cases was barred from higher education) what type of life lessons do you think those people passed down to their children?

Also, LOTS of folks are history buffs. Do you just want to avoid the "icky" parts?
There were no black slaves 50 years ago were there? And even with blacks and civil rights, that has nothing to do with whites that were born in the 80s and 90s who never did anything to blacks but still have to suffer.

And its interesting how Asians dealt with discrimination when they first arrived in North America vs how blacks did. Most Asians chose to rise above it and work hard to make a living for themselves and to create a better future for their kids. Many blacks chose to eternally cry about it and continually do a **** poor job of raising their kids and many turned to crime. And this is why Asians are mostly successful today and so many blacks are still ghetto as hell.

Yes yes you can argue blacks were more oppressed and mistreated than Asians, but its not like Asians had a walk in the park when the first came here. And that shouldn't stop you from being a good parent and working hard for your kids and make sure their future will be brighter than yours.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:06 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Social conditioning.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:09 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
So what's the reason for high black crime rates in Canada? Very little black oppression or slavery to speak of, yet so many act EXACTLY like their American counterparts. Namely ghetto as hell and constant crime and murder. Explain why?

Living in Toronto, NO I don't deal with much white crime because there's very little of it at least when it comes to violent crime. It will be once in a blue moon that you'll ever hear of a white person being involved in a shooting or stabbing or murder that happens in the streets. And its very rare that you'll hear of any muggings and only somewhat frequent that you'll have a sexual assault that involves whites.

So I feel great that the vast majority of my race (and most non-blacks for that matter) chooses to live in peace rather than commit crime.

There were no black slaves 50 years ago were there? And even with blacks and civil rights, that has nothing to do with whites that were born in the 80s and 90s who never did anything to blacks but still have to suffer.

And its interesting how Asians dealt with discrimination when they first arrived in North America vs how blacks did. Most Asians chose to rise above it and work hard to make a living for themselves and to create a better future for their kids. Many blacks chose to eternally cry about it and continually do a **** poor job of raising their kids and many turned to crime. And this is why Asians are mostly successful today and so many blacks are still ghetto as hell.

Yes yes you can argue blacks were more oppressed and mistreated than Asians, but its not like Asians had a walk in the park when the first came here. And that shouldn't stop you from being a good parent and working hard for your kids and make sure their future will be brighter than yours.

Hmmm, ghetto.

Interesting choice of words. Why do we have ghettos? Why do we have black gangs in this country? Do you know those answers?

Old 09-17-2013, 09:09 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post

I'm not even sure why I'm debating with someone in another country who probably doesn't have much experience dealing with this issue.

Why are you harping on slavery? Do you think that once slavery ended all was well and blacks were embraced by all? Just so you know there was another 100 years of oppression that ended less than 50 years ago. As I said, many of those people are alive today. And if you think the experience of your parents/grandparents matters not, you are very wrong.

You speak of whites suffering. How many victims of the crimes you reference are blacks? Are you not concerned for the black people who suffer? Why do you condemn the majority of blacks for what the minority do?

re: Asians. Your premise is so weak, it's sad. Did Asians experience hundreds of years of oppression in the US? If not, your comparison is faulty. And BTW, there are plenty of degenerate Asians in the US (not to mention in their home countries). Let's hope you don't venture into the wrong area and find that out the hard way.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:12 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
And this is why I have a problem with the stuff that you have said. This statement pretty much shows arrogance on your part. You aren't interested in having a discussion on race relations. You are just venting your own anger and hatred towards Blacks.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:19 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And this is why I have a problem with the stuff that you have said. This statement pretty much shows arrogance on your part. You aren't interested in having a discussion on race relations. You are just venting your own anger and hatred towards Blacks.
Exactly. Especially considering that the majority of blacks ALSO choose to live a life free of violence.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Especially considering that the majority of blacks ALSO choose to live a life free of violence.
Thank you. I'm Black, I don't live a life of violence. The vast majority of Blacks that I know have chosen not to live a life of violence. The ones that have are paying the price right now, in prison. This who "my race is better than yours" stuff is crap, and it contributes nothing to discussions about race relations. All it does is anger people and alienate them.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:26 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Folks can't seem to grasp it. Blacks aren't just out killing people for no cause. No matter how whacked their reasoning, there is a reason. And until we do something about the drug laws in this country, things will not change.

There was rampant violence surrounding Prohibition that evaporated with legalization. The problem is that there is no incentive to dealing with the drug war when the victims are brown.
It did not evaporate. It simply moved into drugs, gambling and other crimes. I agree that we should reform our drug laws but not because it's going to end crime. It's not.

Drug dealers are not going to just throw up their hands and go get a job at McDonald's if we legalize drugs.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
re: Asians. Your premise is so weak, it's sad. Did Asians experience hundreds of years of oppression in the US? If not, your comparison is faulty. And BTW, there are plenty of degenerate Asians in the US (not to mention in their home countries). Let's hope you don't venture into the wrong area and find that out the hard way.
Something else to consider. Asian ethncities are different. Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese, Hmong,etc. There are different ethnicities. In the USA at least, there are relatively fewer persons of Japanese, Indian, or Korean descent who are in gangs. With Asian ethnicities, there are often more Hmong, Vietnamese, and Cambodian persons who are in gangs. In the USA, it is more likely that Black Americans are in gangs. You don't see this much from African immigrants(with Somalians being an exception).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies