Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 01:39 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Ah yes, John Lott... the guy who used econometrics to "prove" that bad things happened in society once women stayed bring allowed to vote. What is it they say about correlation and causation?...

I would prefer to first see his work confirmed by other reputed academics before trusting what he says as quoted in a right-wing mouthpiece like Breitbart.
Translation

I can't find anything wrong with it so I am just going to say it was done by a RWNJ posted by a RW mouth piece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 01:48 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Interesting you mention that, just recently I heard someone say that the Portuguese constitution also allows people to topple the government as a last resort.
And Germany has such a provision as well.

The problem with such provisions is that it takes a lot of courage and nobody really knows when the situation is so bad that such action is justified. I mean, once you start it, you have to go all the way, else you will not succeed and maybe even be punished for what you tried.
That is also why nothing of that sort happens in the US, despite there being tens of millions of people who think Obama is the devil and destroying the country.
And that might also be one of the reasons for all the spying on the people. Government might want to prevent people from coordinating any efforts against it.
Under the past in the USA when some of the people had the idea the pres was getting out of line they just shot the pres.... Some 'needed killin' others not so much...

Personally, I fear this in the case of the current resident, since the line up to follow are all certifiably insane.

Perhaps your error is in thinking this current admin isn't inept. Obama was going to just bomb Syria with out bring Congress into the situation. He could, but he could be Impeached for that. Probably he would be impeached for that. Then Biden would be the next Idiot n Thief.

A nation can only suffer so many Idiots N Thieves, before no one to include assorted other countries will just laugh any demands off... pretty much the whole world does that now to the US....

Old 09-03-2013, 02:46 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,914,362 times
Quote:
Interesting you mention that, just recently I heard someone say that the Portuguese constitution also allows people to topple the government as a last resort.
And Germany has such a provision as well.

The problem with such provisions is that it takes a lot of courage and nobody really knows when the situation is so bad that such action is justified. I mean, once you start it, you have to go all the way, else you will not succeed and maybe even be punished for what you tried.
That is also why nothing of that sort happens in the US, despite there being tens of millions of people who think Obama is the devil and destroying the country.
And that might also be one of the reasons for all the spying on the people. Government might want to prevent people from coordinating any efforts against it.
You are Portuguese aren't you? You at least live there and don't know.

At least in the U.S., the people vs. the government is similar to the U.S. and Russia during the cold war. The feds have grown to a point they don't want to give up power and neither does the citizen. If either makes a move, it will be bad for both. Yes, they have been trying to disarm us for almost 100 years but a small portion of us have grown tired of being on the wrong side of a "compromise". The internet and free flow of information is great. Where once someone was a nut-case anti-government kook, they can find others that are just as passionate.

AR15.com is really my kind of site. We have a common interest in the infamous black rifle but most of us also are very distrustful of the federal government as well as most state governments. The general discussion section is about 1/2 politics and we can almost always agree on where we stand. I just checked and there are almost 8,500 people on that site now.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Under the past in the USA when some of the people had the idea the pres was getting out of line they just shot the pres.... Some 'needed killin' others not so much...

Personally, I fear this in the case of the current resident, since the line up to follow are all certifiably insane.

Perhaps your error is in thinking this current admin isn't inept. Obama was going to just bomb Syria with out bring Congress into the situation. He could, but he could be Impeached for that. Probably he would be impeached for that. Then Biden would be the next Idiot n Thief.

A nation can only suffer so many Idiots N Thieves, before no one to include assorted other countries will just laugh any demands off... pretty much the whole world does that now to the US....
After Biden is Bohener. Even though he has an R behind his name, he's as worthless as the rest of them. Just another big government statist wanting to stay in power.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:35 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
You are Portuguese aren't you? You at least live there and don't know.

At least in the U.S., the people vs. the government is similar to the U.S. and Russia during the cold war. The feds have grown to a point they don't want to give up power and neither does the citizen. If either makes a move, it will be bad for both. Yes, they have been trying to disarm us for almost 100 years but a small portion of us have grown tired of being on the wrong side of a "compromise". The internet and free flow of information is great. Where once someone was a nut-case anti-government kook, they can find others that are just as passionate.

AR15.com is really my kind of site. We have a common interest in the infamous black rifle but most of us also are very distrustful of the federal government as well as most state governments. The general discussion section is about 1/2 politics and we can almost always agree on where we stand. I just checked and there are almost 8,500 people on that site now.
No, I am not Portuguese, just an immigrant

They were discussing that issue because the prime minister, after one of his ideas had yet again been shot down by the supreme court, was so angry that he said something to the effect of, why do people cling to the constitution and the rights granted therein when it doesn't give them jobs? He is not very good at losing, you know, nor very intelligent in my opinion...

I assume that AR15 site is under observation by various secret services, right?

Old 09-03-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I do belive you can practice and train for things that may or not happen and if you have your reasoning will work better than if you had not. This seems to be true in your case.

At my time i was just a working dad with a kid in the crib and a sport hunter. I didn't own or want a seld defense by design gun then or hanve one, but i have 3 or more now.

The system of injustice has let me down more than 3 times.

I used to be a 3 chances sort of guy, but now you don't get 1..... 1 screw up and it's game over for people i know, and it;s less for people i don't.

In this instance 'you' doesn't mean you personally. We agree on a lot of things, and I am just backing you up. That time i meant you...

These naysayers live wall flower lives and never yet had to fight for a thing, much less stay alive.

I like how the violent offenders have ALL the rights don't you?
I've had to put down a dog that would have ended up killing someone. I feel bad but I don't lose sleep at night over it. A human that inflicts violence on the weak is no better. The man in the video I posted will never be rehabilitated. He enjoyed beating up that woman. He could have taken anything in that house without resistance but he chose to hurt her. Had she died falling down the basement stairs at the end, he would not have given it a 2nd thought.

I can also see how you think the offenders have the rights. I don't blame them, I blame the prosecutors. They pad their wins by pleading down the charges to avoid a trial. My nephew beat his step-father with a metal pipe and it was plead down to simple assault. He was sentenced to 5 years but will probably be out in 2. It was attempted murder and he should serve an appropriate sentence. A family friend beat her mother to death with a pipe wrench but only received 35 years which is approximately 2 years for each swing of the wrench. She will be out at age 70. She should rot in prison.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
No, I am not Portuguese, just an immigrant

They were discussing that issue because the prime minister, after one of his ideas had yet again been shot down by the supreme court, was so angry that he said something to the effect of, why do people cling to the constitution and the rights granted therein when it doesn't give them jobs? He is not very good at losing, you know, nor very intelligent in my opinion...

I assume that AR15 site is under observation by various secret services, right?
A job isn't a right. You can't have a right that requires someone else. Again, that's why our Constitution is about individual rights. I'm against the federal minimum wage for two reasons. First, the federal government has no power to set them. It's not in the Constitution and therefore no power exists. Second, it hurts the people it is really trying to help. If you look at it economically, if you aren't work $x per hour, then you won't be hired to do anything. You can't learn a skill and move up the ladder. You end up living off of the .gov for the rest of your life. And that's a whole different conversation.

Your prime minister sounds a lot like our current leader.

Yes, AR15.com is mentioned by name on government documents. There's no real information there, it's just a good clearing house for organizing what is already floating around the net. I have met a lot of great guys and it has opened up some training opportunities for me. I'm somewhere in this picture - TACTICAL PHOTOGRAPHER - "Images of Today's Warrior!" | Ronin Combat Strategies - Combat Pistol/Rifle, 3/31/12 | Photo 159

Old 09-03-2013, 04:54 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,745,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Therefore I guess you aren't able to read or you need a good pair of glasses.

so it per 100,000 lets make a map per murder of the states, you will find liberal cities have the highest murder rate.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I know, it has already been mentioned that in the US protecting society is not the job of the police anymore. I find that a bit regrettable...

It doesn't really matter what you kill the pythons with The point is that your constitution and laws allow, almost promote the spread of guns. And as a consequence you have all those armed criminals out there that people feel they need to protect themselves from. I just don't want such an arms race.

I expect not to be robbed, attacked etc., whether I am at home or outside. That expectation, based on my trust in our more or less competent police force and also in a more or less peaceful society, prevents me from feeling like I need to protect myself. And the vast majority of people I know feel that way as well.

It is a totally different approach compared to the US.

Of course there is also some crime here, occasionally there are murders etc. But we do not take them for granted, they are considered shocking exceptions so to speak. Thus we continue to trust it won't happen to us. And usually that is the way it is.
What is with such negative connotations? The Constitution and Bill Of Rights and laws protect and promote the spread and defense of life, liberty, and property, we do so with firearms..This "arms race" you think is happening is law abiding Americans rediscovering their heritage, and rekindling the bond fire that is liberty bathing in the light and warmth of freedom and driving back cold darkness of tyranny back into the night..
If you cant understand this, I take pity on you.

You "expectation" of a police force and a "peaceful society" what happens what it falls apart? or is use to abuse and murder people it sees as threats? as so is the case in many nations over many eras of history? like the people of Syria? did you think that some of those people who have been shot by their own nations soldiers and police officers think at one point we live in a"peaceful society and have a just and lawful police force" how is that working out for them?

"Thus we continue to trust it won't happen to us. And usually that is the way it is." how did that mentality work out for the victim? And what if it does happen? just sit there and be murdered?

Also trust? You are tell me their is no element of any society that abuse trust of one group of people?

Old 09-03-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The same reason the rest of you do ~ fear.
So not wanting to be a victim of crime=fear? please keep talking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies