Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 04:04 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
How so? They cost 20 x the cost of a regular bulb.

I refuse to use them.
the place your buying them from is ripping you off than, also cfl's especially the "sunlight" ones give off a brighter "bluish white" color as opposed to the basic 40 watt bulbs. I really hate to see your electric bill that is anyway if you own your own place and not just renting, I'm an electrician and the site I work on has 24 floors at first they were using the 100 watt bulbs the regular kind and I can't tell you how many times the bulbs would get so hot they would actually melt the lamp holders. Also the moment someone turned on a drill or a saw the breakers would trip within a few minutes because of the bulbs taking up so much power. And when a bulb blows in the socket its truly a p.i.a. to take them out especially when they still have power going through them so many of them have I had to just take down completely and replace and now the super of the place has us using 14 watt cfl's that give off a much brighter and much nicer light.

Quote:
I said I refuse to use them. I don't buy them, period. My landlord told me they run about $5 each. But I wouldn't and won't ever know.

And if you use 130V bulbs, you don't have to worry about replacing them often. They last for years. Simple, 130V instead of 120V. It's been so long since I've had to buy some I couldn't tell you what they cost, but a 4-pack is pretty much the same as 120V.
I hope your not paying much for those bulbs because if you are your being cheated out of money there is no such thing as 130 volt bulbs all regular bulbs are 120/220 volt it's the wattage that changes that would be anyway unless you get more specialized ones but than they go to 120/220, 208/220, 480/220. No such thing as 130 volt. And unless you rarely turn the lights on in your house I seriously doubt your story of never having to replace them, the good thing about the newer bulbs and I'm not just talking cfl's I am also talking led lights is they can last nearly forever or at least out live you. Plus and this is only with led's they don't get hot to the touch unlike your regular bulbs and even cfl's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 04:08 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
Quote:
Since you're not employed by him, isn't that a rather stupid statement? You do realize you have to be employed by someone for them to give you the proverbial 'pink slip', do you not?

Now you know.
That's okay....lefties are okay with people telling them what to do.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:11 PM

577 posts, read 512,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
the place your buying them from is ripping you off than, also cfl's especially the "sunlight" ones give off a brighter "bluish white" color as opposed to the basic 40 watt bulbs. I really hate to see your electric bill that is anyway if you own your own place and not just renting, I'm an electrician and the site I work on has 24 floors at first they were using the 100 watt bulbs the regular kind and I can't tell you how many times the bulbs would get so hot they would actually melt the lamp holders. Also the moment someone turned on a drill or a saw the breakers would trip within a few minutes because of the bulbs taking up so much power. And when a bulb blows in the socket its truly a p.i.a. to take them out especially when they still have power going through them so many of them have I had to just take down completely and replace and now the super of the place has us using 14 watt cfl's that give off a much brighter and much nicer light.

I hope your not paying much for those bulbs because if you are your being cheated out of money there is no such thing as 130 volt bulbs all regular bulbs are 120/220 volt it's the wattage that changes that would be anyway unless you get more specialized ones but than they go to 120/220, 208/220, 480/220. No such thing as 130 volt. And unless you rarely turn the lights on in your house I seriously doubt your story of never having to replace them, the good thing about the newer bulbs and I'm not just talking cfl's I am also talking led lights is they can last nearly forever or at least out live you. Plus and this is only with led's they don't get hot to the touch unlike your regular bulbs and even cfl's.
Good points. There are 130v bulbs, we sold them at the electrical supply company I used to work for. It's not that they run on a different voltage, it has more to do with being rated for 130v for places with power surges. They have a thicker than normal fillament to keep them from burning out as quick, more of a commercial grade incandescent bulb. Still they don't save any money other than they just last longer than a typical incandescent bulb, but not nearly as long as a CFL.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:19 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
Good points. There are 130v bulbs, we sold them at the electrical supply company I used to work for. It's not that they run on a different voltage, it has more to do with being rated for 130v for places with power surges. They have a thicker than normal fillament to keep them from burning out as quick, more of a commercial grade incandescent bulb. Still they don't save any money other than they just last longer than a typical incandescent bulb, but not nearly as long as a CFL.
ah well look at that I actually learned something from this site never heard of the 130v ones but I can see how they would be of use. Than again to use them for home use seems a bit foolish are they cheaper than cfl's ? how much more expensive are they than compared to regular "120v" bulbs ?

Old 08-28-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
ah well look at that I actually learned something from this site never heard of the 130v ones but I can see how they would be of use. Than again to use them for home use seems a bit foolish are they cheaper than cfl's ? how much more expensive are they than compared to regular "120v" bulbs ?
They run about 20% more than standard 120v. Most of the time I saw commercial customers (schools, factories) buy them. However even they mostly have switched to CFL's. No matter the organization, they all move over to CFL's due to the cheaper costs. I am not sure how anyone could argue with saving money, unless it's just to stick their finger in the opposing political parties eye, lol. Kind of silly if you ask me.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:28 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
Damned things are loaded with mercury.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Damned things are loaded with mercury.
Extremely low amount of mercury, which is more than offset with the power saving (less mercury from power plants). Besides, how would the mercury in a CFL hurt you, unless you are one of those glass eaters?? If so, you should stick to incandescents.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:34 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
No. As I stated with the use of the car battery comparrison...we live with dangerous materials and there is a proper way to dispose of them.

I assume you have a home, and there are many dangeous and toxic items in your home, is there not? I also assume you have the knowledge to safely and correctly handle and or dispose of those items?

That is the point you should have derived; not some silly notion of a car battery in you living space.

Yes... I get what you are trying to say, but you seem to be glossing over the absurdity of the problem here.

We already had a light source that was cheaper, and better than what we replaced it with AND it was not toxic.

We also do not live around a car battery, it is a valid point if you are going to make such comparisons. A light bulb exists in our homes everywhere. It is next to our beds, in our bathrooms, in our closets... it is everywhere. A car battery is in a car, usually in non-living space (garage or outside). There is no comparison, no reasonable argument to be made as you were trying to make.

You are avoiding the entire issue that these bulbs are anti-environment all the way around. The only "positive" they have is that they use less energy and that one is mired in an assumptive position that can not even be quantified to its benefits as the "problem" it attempts to remedy can not even be properly established either.

So what we have is another "green" solution that does more harm than it does good.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:35 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
Extremely low amount of mercury, which is more than offset with the power saving (less mercury from power plants). Besides, how would the mercury in a CFL hurt you, unless you are one of those glass eaters?? If so, you should stick to incandescents.
You may allow mercury in your home, I will not.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:40 PM

219 posts, read 285,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Beck is an idiot and this just proves it.
Yup, Beck is the right wing version of Rachael Madcow Bill "misogynist tool" Maher or Chris Mathews
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies