Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:00 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I like LED bulbs, and have compact cfl's, but remember, compact cfl's contain mercury, and have to be disposed of as hazardous waste.
Point being made is 99% won't dispose of em properly and they will end up in the waste fill. Who is accounting for that? NOBODY. It's a joke. Just like the rest of the militant enviro fantasy. They end up doing more damage than helping in the end. Heard of DDT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 01:21 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Do you have a battery in your car? Do you know there is a safety concern while installing, charging or changing it? How is a battery in your car not like a mercury filled light bulb?

There is a right way and a wrong way to handle the dangerous materials we all live with and use.
Battery acid is a lot less hazardous to the environment than mercury is.

If you ever drop a car battery you can clean it up by sprinkling baking soda on it & letting it dry. The baking soda neutralizes the acid.

Mercury can never be 100% cleaned up no matter what steps you take.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:21 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Liberals don't get it. I posted what the EPA, the government they love, say must be done to clean these things up and they still argue all is well. It has to be brain damage.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:28 AM

720 posts, read 706,157 times
I use C. F. Bulbs because it saves me money on my energy bill not because of any political argument on Global warming. As far as I'm concerned, the government has no business deciding what type of light bulb I use in my own home.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:34 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
Good points. There are 130v bulbs, we sold them at the electrical supply company I used to work for. It's not that they run on a different voltage, it has more to do with being rated for 130v for places with power surges. They have a thicker than normal fillament to keep them from burning out as quick, more of a commercial grade incandescent bulb. Still they don't save any money other than they just last longer than a typical incandescent bulb, but not nearly as long as a CFL.
This

Most power coming into your home can fluctuate from between 110-115 volts hence the standard 120 volt light bulb. The 130 volt light bulbs which are only found at electrical supply houses & lighting stores are for commercial applications (apartments, schools, churches, etc.) where power surges are common & less frequent monitoring of light bulbs being burnt out is needed. They extra 10 volts (thicker filament) gives added protection.

Older style traffic signal lights use 130 volt bulbs & so do obstruction beacons on masts & tall buildings.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:28 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Point being made is 99% won't dispose of em properly and they will end up in the waste fill. Who is accounting for that? NOBODY. It's a joke. Just like the rest of the militant enviro fantasy. They end up doing more damage than helping in the end. Heard of DDT?
You are right.

PUBLIC SERVICE Announcement

For those in Virginia beach, you can take CFL's to Virginia Beach Landfill and Household Hazardous Waste Facility on Jake sears road, or Batteries Plus.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:12 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What is insane in their reasoning is they throw tantrums and fits about plastic bags, go on about how even though they can be recycled, people won't do it and so the proper course of action they say, is to ban plastic bags entirely.

Odd, how recycling programs, incentives, etc... isn't enough for plastic bags, but hey... if it is a mercury laden bulb that has enormous long term consequences, no problem, why... people will properly dispose of them! Really!

Old 08-29-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
You are right.

PUBLIC SERVICE Announcement

For those in Virginia beach, you can take CFL's to Virginia Beach Landfill and Household Hazardous Waste Facility on Jake sears road, or Batteries Plus.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

The entire point is, that even though you may inform people through public programs, etc... at the end of the day... most people aren't going to go through all of trouble to properly recycle a CFL.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:24 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
How so? They cost 20 x the cost of a regular bulb.

I refuse to use them.
They last Much longer and use less power.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Smart money is moving to LED bulbs, which use considerably less electricity. So let Beck's power bills be higher. Who cares?
LED's are certainly safer. Though I can't stand the light they produce for reading. They are fine in many situations, just not that for me (the color of the light is off for me). Problem with them at the moment is they are far too expensive, though that can change over time.

This whole mandate thing was stupid. Better technology would have won out over time. If you have to subsidize and force people to use a technology, it is because it has limitations compared to the previous technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies