Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 09:38 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times

Advertisements

[quote=AlsoNotMe;35361694]@ Kuchief - why? Keeping score is fine.

It's keeping standings that's the problem.

And don't just say keep standings because you should.

Not one person on this forum has made a solid case to keep them.

Ever heard of playoffs? Apparently not. I'm sure you think every team should make the playoffs. And yes they do have em for kids. Ever heard of the Little League World series? Doesn't seem you've heard of that either. Oh and they do have soccer tournaments, basketball tournaments, football playoffs for the pee wee's where if you win your bracket division you keep moving on in said tournament or season. Hey if you want to go play for fun then go down to the local ballyard when your a kid like we all used to do back in the old days and play all day long. Nowdays kids want to play Xbox and the like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 09:39 PM

[quote=AlsoNotMe;35361694]@ Kuchief - why? Keeping score is fine.

Ever heard of playoffs? Apparently not. I'm sure you think every team should make the playoffs. And yes they do have em for kids. Ever heard of the Little League World series? Doesn't seem you've heard of that either. Oh and they do have soccer tournaments, basketball tournaments, football playoffs for the pee wee's where if you win your bracket/division you keep moving on in said tournament or season. Hey if you want to go play for fun then go down to the local ballyard when your a kid like we all used to do back in the old days and play all day long. Nowdays kids want to play Xbox and the like.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
You are such an Obamabot, you don't even realize when you lie?

"A recent study of every soccer player in the world showed that kids in score-keeping leagues grow up to be terrible at soccer." -you

If you were smart, you would have realized that you just reinforced my point. It is destructive for parents and coaches to yell and emphasize winning over all other things like being healthy, having fun, and developing skills. Keeping score and not giving everyone a trophy in and of itself is not the problem. Bad coaches, bad parents, and etc are.
I would bet anything that video games that have scores appeal much more to kids than ones that don't, where they just play the game to play it and never have any kind of score.

Kids will even play against themselves, trying to beat their previous score.

I think it's fine to do when it comes to soccer though. Just leave the American sports alone.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:09 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,657 times
[quote=KUchief25;35363170]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoNotMe View Post
@ Kuchief - why? Keeping score is fine.

Ever heard of playoffs? Apparently not. I'm sure you think every team should make the playoffs. And yes they do have em for kids. Ever heard of the Little League World series? Doesn't seem you've heard of that either. Oh and they do have soccer tournaments, basketball tournaments, football playoffs for the pee wee's where if you win your bracket/division you keep moving on in said tournament or season. Hey if you want to go play for fun then go down to the local ballyard when your a kid like we all used to do back in the old days and play all day long. Nowdays kids want to play Xbox and the like.
So your argument is "have you ever heard of playoffs?" No I haven't, what are they? God. Just because you disagree with something doesn't mean you haven't heard of it. "I guess I want to go to bovine university too" then right (for you simpsons fans out there).

Really? So it's back to #1: "It's what we've always done."

Have you ever heard of reading an argument? Little League World Series is for kids 11 - 13 who are competitive all-stars. Pee Wee is roughly age 13, when standings should be started to be kept. What I and others are talking about are house leagues for kids under 12. So I don't get your point at all, probably because you don't have one. We're not suggesting eliminating playoffs from the universe, just from house league until age 12.

There's no 'little league world series' for house league kids aged 8, is there?

And hell yes I want to play for fun and I want my kid to as well.

And for whoever suggested the only reason to play video games is to get a high score must never have heard of games where scores aren't kept (like RPG's, or MMORPG's).

Old 06-24-2014, 03:15 PM

Oh copetitive All Stars who keep score and you want that to go away? Pee is age thirteen? Thirteen is Jr. High. I didn't think you knew what you were talking about and you prove it. Good work. Pee wee is fifth/sixth grade when they start playing tackle around here. Hey you know what the younger ones who play flag keep score and have standings and playoffs too.

You liberals have destroyed the country enough now your after the children. Just leave em alone.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:55 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,137,755 times
I don't see what the problem is here. If they don't want to keep score it's their choice...

Old 06-24-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I don't see what the problem is here. If they don't want to keep score it's their choice...
Anybody ask the kids their opinion? Of course not. Like I said before liberals have screwed things up enough leave the kids alone.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:32 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoNotMe View Post
Realize this is an old post, but had to respond as a coach, referee, player, and soccer convenor - who wants to cheer for Canada in a world cup again before I die.

It's not about the kids not knowing who's winning. It's about parent coach's not feeling the need to win by putting the fat kid in the net everytime, telling the weak kids to get out of the way to let big jimmy get it, and to not just kick the ball from far out to score while the nets are big and the goalies are small. That approach only serves to marginalize the weaker kids and encourage them to quit, and get the stronger kids to learn the same technique over and over - that lasts until about 14 when they meet kids from other countries that do encourage skills development and they crush our kids.

So yeah, the kid's know the score during the game. It's not a secret, that's not the point. It's not PC, unless you think it's PC to keep doing what we're doing, which isn't working.
This is exactly what happens, and thank you for pointing it out. Some of the most atrocious coach (and parent) behavior I've ever witnessed happened at U8 soccer games. My husband, a life-long player and huge fan of the game, stopped coaching because of this kind of stuff. His philosophy of encouraging physical fitness and skills development by playing all kids in all positions ran counter to the current trends of early specialization and marginalization of weak players. He finally gave up in disgust, and our kids joined a community swim team, which is much more inclusive. Nobody in our family regrets making the switch, and our children have turned out to be excellent swimmers with high levels of physical fitness, due in no small part to the positive feedback they received even when they didn't come in first. In youth competitive swimming, every athlete gets his moment on the block, and individual times provide an objective measure of improvement over the course of the season. The team may lose the meet, but the kid feels pride in knocking two seconds off his 100 IM and making his target cut time. That keeps the kids motivated, the parents happy, and everybody coming back for more.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-25-2014 at 12:29 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 10:04 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,657 times
Thanks Random Parent. Based on your postings I'm going to guess you're American... I can't remember, even with this lack of competition and playoffs, does the US do okay in olympic swimming competitions? (he says facetiously)

Old 06-26-2014, 10:21 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
It's a different environment, that's for sure. Yes, there's fierce competition at high-level meets, but no kid is excluded from swimming even if he's the slowest one in the pool, and there's an objective measure of his improvement independent of the team's record. I'm not opposed to traditional youth team sports at all, but we should acknowledge that there's a stiff penalty for kids who lag behind in their skills development. They are not so subtly encouraged to get out of the way long before it's reasonable for them to give up, as you and others have so aptly pointed out. Swimming isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it has certainly been a better fit for our family, providing ample time and space for our children to grow into their athletic ability. Unlike other competitive youth sports, there's no incentive for coaches to bench team members, regardless of skill level. It's better for the kids, fast and slow alike, and better for families. It's just a friendlier sport. Youth club soccer, on the other hand, was dog eat dog. I don't miss it.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-26-2014 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies