Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 06:49 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Another "if everyone had guns" thread as if that wouldn't cause other problems. There are restrictions on military bases for very good reasons and we don't need to arm everyone for the 1 in a billion event. There are already armed guards at many government and private facilities, we don't need solutions that are worse than the disease.

Tell that to the crew of the U.S.S. Cole who had to stand there like idiots with guns WITHOUT BULLETS while terrorists cruised right up to them with a rubber raft full of explosives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 06:55 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
The policy goes back further than any of you silly people on either side of the aisle are aware...
On December 7th, 1941, the soldiers at Schofield Barracks were unable to shoot at the attacking Japanese planes because their weapons and ammunition were locked away, and nobody had given the order to unlock them.
I first joined the military in 1959, and DOD policy then was that private weapons owned by those who lived on base, whether in housing or barracks, were to be stored in the armory when not in use.
These policies are NOT "new", and cannot be attributed to any recent President.
However, it is a fact that, given the current climate of shootings, obama has had 5 years to CHANGE the policies so that our military facilities could be better defended, and has not done so! The fact that the Marines had weapons but no ammunition is absolutely ridiculous!

Old 09-19-2013, 07:08 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,350,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The army base "gun-free" policy can be traced back to Department of Defense Directive 5210.56, signed into effect in February 1992 by Donald J. Atwood, deputy secretary of defense under President George H.W. Bush.
The directive says: "The authorization to carry firearms shall be issued only to qualified personnel when there is a reasonable expectation that life or DoD assets will be jeopardized if firearms are not carried"..."DoD personnel regularly engaged in law enforcement or security duties shall be armed."

The directive became "Army Regulation 190-14" in the Clinton era - but is not a Clinton executive order - and only applies to Army bases- not to the Naval Yard.

This Is Why Most Military Personnel Aren’t Armed on Military Bases
The Marines had guns but weren't allowed to have ammunition. Who's fault is that?

Disturbing! Marines Had Weapons, But No Ammo During Navy Yard Shooting (Video) | The Gateway Pundit

Old 09-19-2013, 07:21 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Really? That's bizarre?

Is it bizarre that Obama said a president has no authority to attack a nation without congressional approval, then got elected and attacked Libya without congressional approval?

Is it bizarre that Obama said it was unpatriotic to raise the debt ceiling and voted against it, then got elected and said it was irresponsible for Republicans to not raise the debt ceiling?

Is it bizarre that Obama introduced sequestration and declared he'd veto any attempt to get around it, and then blamed Republicans for allowing sequestration to happen?

Is it bizarre that Obama said the individual mandate was not a tax, and then defended it in court as a tax?

Is it bizarre that Obama refused to hear Republican ideas about healthcare reform, then made speeches about Republicans having no ideas about healthcare reform?

Is it bizarre that Obama said he would not approve a budget that didn't contain tax increases, then accused Republicans of refusing to compromise on tax increases?

While it is true that conservatives believe things said by right wing politicians and pundits that might not necessarily be true, I think the continued support by liberals for Obama after exceedingly blatant lies is rather more bizarre.
When a person constantly lies, it becomes normal behavior for that person and everybody just ignores it. That's what has happened with Obama. He knows if he tells enough lies and tells them over and over that people will think his behavior is normal.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:30 AM

46,311 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
There have been several attacks on military bases where there are armed guards in addition to a few others who are allowed to carry. .
There are always guards on base....and who are these "others" allowed to carry...please provide a link...

Quote:
I don't think a lot of thought goes into these attacks, after all they are crazy. Organized terrorists are one thing, crazy people that hear voices are quite another.
Really? Then why do people go to gun free zones to make these mass shootings?

Schools...gun free, the colorado shooting, the guy passed 2 othe theaters to get to a theater that was "guess what" gun free....

The most rescent shooting, guess what, gun free...

Gun free = unless you are a guard or somethng like that, you are not allowed to have gun. Just putting that out there so people understand and not able to twist words...

Old 09-19-2013, 07:54 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,910,626 times
Quote:
The army base "gun-free" policy can be traced back to Department of Defense Directive 5210.56, signed into effect in February 1992 by Donald J. Atwood, deputy secretary of defense under President George H.W. Bush.
The directive says: "The authorization to carry firearms shall be issued only to qualified personnel when there is a reasonable expectation that life or DoD assets will be jeopardized if firearms are not carried"..."DoD personnel regularly engaged in law enforcement or security duties shall be armed."

The directive became "Army Regulation 190-14" in the Clinton era - but is not a Clinton executive order - and only applies to Army bases- not to the Naval Yard.

This Is Why Most Military Personnel Aren’t Armed on Military Bases
And that is a fact thus, I am sure, the wing nuts will completely ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:14 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Tell that to the crew of the U.S.S. Cole who had to stand there like idiots with guns WITHOUT BULLETS while terrorists cruised right up to them with a rubber raft full of explosives.
Actually, they had bullets. The Captain of the vessel determines the threat level, and in the case of the USS Cole, the Captain determined "Threat Condition Bravo." "ThreatCon Bravo" means weapons and ammo are issued, but weapons are not loaded, and no one is to open fire unless fired upon first.

After the USS Cole was attacked, naval vessels went to "ThreatCon Delta" during refueling operations. There are five threat levels:
  • ThreatCon Normal warrants only a routine security posture.
  • ThreatCon Alpha means the threat of terrorist attack is low. There are nonspecific threats of terrorist activity of unpredictable nature and extent. Personnel should be suspicious and inquisitive about strangers, particularly those carrying suitcases or containers, and they should be alert for unidentified vehicles and abandoned parcels or suitcases. Buildings, rooms, and storage areas not in regular use should be secured. Spot checks on vehicles entering the area are increased, and access points for vehicles and personnel are limited. Also, measures from higher threat conditions may be implemented. Threatcon Alpha may be maintained indefinitely.
  • ThreatCon Bravo means there is a medium threat of terrorist attack, though no particular threat has been identified. In addition to the measures taken under Threatcon Alpha, these steps should be taken, among others: Personnel who implement anti-terrorist contingency plans will be on call. Cars and other objects are kept at least 25 meters from buildings. The interior and exterior of buildings are frequently inspected for suspicious packages. All mail is thoroughly examined for letter bombs or parcel bombs. Visitors are physically inspected, and so are a percentage of their suitcases and other parcels. Random patrols check vehicles, people, and buildings.
  • ThreatCon Charlie means that a terrorist incident has occurred or that intelligence indicates that a terrorist action is imminent. These additional measures are taken, among others: All personnel responsible for implementing anti-terrorist plans are on duty. Access points are limited to the absolute minimum. All vehicles are searched at entry. Guards are issued weapons, and patrolling is increased. Barriers and obstacles are erected to control traffic flow, and vehicles are parked at a centralized location away from sensitive buildings.
  • ThreatCon Delta means a terrorist attack has occurred in the immediate area or that intelligence indicates that an attack against a specific location is likely. Normally, Threatcon Delta is declared as a localized warning (though not in this case). Among the additional measures taken: More guards are placed on duty, all vehicles on the military installation are identified, and all personnel must be positively identified. All suitcases, briefcases, and packages brought into the installation are searched. Local authorities are consulted about closing roads and facilities that might make sites more vulnerable to terrorist attack.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:24 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,058,283 times
Quote:
Deflect and mock if you wish but I see you aren't arguing with the facts.

Hard to argue with facts when EVERYTHING is Bushes fault. We had a drought here this summer and wouldn't you know it- it was Bushes fault !! I'll bet that Bush will be blamed for all bad things longer than Columbus is blamed for bringing diseases to America !

Last edited by Nodpete; 09-19-2013 at 08:44 AM..

Old 09-19-2013, 08:27 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
The policy goes back further than any of you silly people on either side of the aisle are aware...
On December 7th, 1941, the soldiers at Schofield Barracks were unable to shoot at the attacking Japanese planes because their weapons and ammunition were locked away, and nobody had given the order to unlock them.
I first joined the military in 1959, and DOD policy then was that private weapons owned by those who lived on base, whether in housing or barracks, were to be stored in the armory when not in use.
These policies are NOT "new", and cannot be attributed to any recent President.
However, it is a fact that, given the current climate of shootings, obama has had 5 years to CHANGE the policies so that our military facilities could be better defended, and has not done so! The fact that the Marines had weapons but no ammunition is absolutely ridiculous!
Unless there is a scheduled alert, all weapons are stored in the armory. The only people on base that have weapons are those who are "under arms." Such as guards and law enforcement.

I agree, this is not an uncommon occurrence. The exact policy you experienced in 1959 was also in effect during the 1970s when I was on active duty. I kept several private firearms in the armory. I could check them out anytime I wanted them, and I could use my private firearms on the base ranges, but otherwise they were kept in the armory.

There were no Marines aboard the USS Cole, but there were sailors who were on guard duty and issued both weapons and ammunition. However, since the threat level, set by the Captain, was "Threat Condition Bravo" the weapons were not loaded and they were not allowed to fire on anyone unless fired upon first.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:00 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasINtexas View Post
banned or not, he was just another obama supporter doing what the voices told him to do.

what is there about being a liberal that makes you want to get a gun and kill innocent people ?
This is funny.

Statistically, the majority of military members are not what one would call the "Obama base."

Also, according to news reports, the last time the man voted was in...2000.

As for the OP, as much as it annoys me that these memes get started at all, I really don't see much value in pointing fingers. The larger issue for me is the overall lack of security at the Navy Yard. Security clearance or no, shouldn't bags, etc. be scanned upon arrival? I mean if I have to take off my shoes at airports...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies