Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 07:25 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Jakiyah McKoy, Miss Chiquita Delaware, stripped of crown for not proving Hispanic heritage

The pageant organizers demanded to see her papers. Ironic, no?

Meet Jakiyah McKoy, the 7-year-old who won the Miss Chiquita Delaware beauty and talent contest for Hispanics this year. After she claimed the crown, however, there was a problem: The public didn't think she was "the best representative of Latin beauty, " according to El Tiempo Hispano. According to reports, Jakiyah's win caused controversy at the time she was crowned, then later as organizers said her parents never brought in documentation that proved her Dominican heritage (one of the requirements for contestants is that they must be at least 25 percent Latino). Maria Perez, president of contest sponsor Nuestras Raices Delaware, told the Latino Rebels website, "We can't have her be the queen if she doesn't have the proper documentation." An online petition has been set up to allow Jakiyah to keep her crown.

So illegals protest when we require "proper documentation" but strip a child of a pageant crown for not proving her heritage with "papers"...my how rich.
I agree with you there, Calipoppy. Hispanic's NOT a race or an ethnicity; it's a word that can mean anything when twisted around. A girl from Argentina; even if she was of "pure" Swedish family, would she be Ok as a "Hispanic"? I don't know in 2013.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:26 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That her Hispanic-ness is being questioned. I've heard of a scholarship being denied before on similar grounds, but the recipient in that case was a blonde, blue eyed girl.
my son didnt even qualify for the hispanic scholarship....why, because they only want central american nationalities...and our ancestry is from Spain

Old 09-30-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Seven-year-old Jakiyah McKoy was crowned Little Miss Hispanic Delaware two weeks ago but was soon forced to relinquish her title after concerns over her heritage led to an investigation and sparked a backlash. The complaints reportedly came from pageant-goers who believed McKoy — who is black and was born in Brooklyn, NY — did not epitomize Latin beauty, according to Buzzfeed and Latino Rebels.

McKoy allegedly qualified because her grandmother was born in the Dominican Republic but a pageant official admits that her family was asked to confirm her heritage after the organization was questioned on the issue. The other contestants were allegedly not asked to provide proof of their backgrounds.
Sounds like "racial profiling" to me; it's Ok for Hispanics to do that to each other if a person looks too "Black"? Sheesh!

Old 09-30-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Uh; only SOME Mestizos would be Ok; not others like East Indian and anglo white mixes and so on. Sheesh!

Old 09-30-2013, 07:33 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; only SOME Mestizos would be Ok; not others like East Indian and anglo white mixes and so on. Sheesh!
The only Latin country with a significant East Indian population is Venezuela. Also a few in Puerto Rico.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:42 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The only Latin country with a significant East Indian population is Venezuela. Also a few in Puerto Rico.
There are a few in Panama too, no? Venezuela, for sure, with Trinidad & Guyana so close.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:06 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
No irony here. The laws that you allude to and the rules of a beauty pageant are two very different things.
Isn't a law also a rule?

Why shouldn't both be followed properly? Why should the Beauty Pageant, something that's not seriously important to the lives of all Americans, have rules that are more important than the Laws of our nation?

Old 09-30-2013, 08:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturesFinest View Post
Wonder if there is a White Girls beauty pageant?
We used to have one, it was called "Miss America". Thank g-d it's no longer a whites-only pageant.

The article quoted in the OP was outrageous. Replace "Hispanic" with "Aryan" and see how that reads. It would sound like racist, neo-Nazi BS which is exactly what it would be.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:16 AM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That her Hispanic-ness is being questioned. I've heard of a scholarship being denied before on similar grounds, but the recipient in that case was a blonde, blue eyed girl.
That's why I oppose criteria for things that involve some sort of Sherman Williams paint color chart.

This months national geographic beautifully sums up my feelings on how more and more of the US is becoming mixed race and the lines will just keep getting blurrier and blurrier.

The true irony is that most of the "latinas" that would win that kind of contest really just look like J-Lo and would be 75% or more European. They are practically "white" when they stand next to the south americans that don't end up modeling.

They are really just arguing over which part of Europe some of these gals have most of their DNA from.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
my son didnt even qualify for the hispanic scholarship....why, because they only want central american nationalities...and our ancestry is from Spain
"The Hispanic scholarship?"

What's that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies