Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 08:48 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,687,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
There are a few in Panama too, no? Venezuela, for sure, with Trinidad & Guyana so close.
Didn't hear anything about Panama, but yes, the Venezuelans tend to descend from migrants from Trini and Guyana.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:05 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,192,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Didn't hear anything about Panama, but yes, the Venezuelans tend to descend from migrants from Trini and Guyana.
From what I understand, there is a small but significant population in Panama, plenty descending from those immigrants from West Indian countries to build the Canal. Then there were immigrants straight from India later on. One close friend of my family is mixed Indian & African descent from Panama. She breaks out the traditional dress with the rest of us on special occasions. :-)

Old 09-30-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
From what I understand, there is a small but significant population in Panama, plenty descending from those immigrants from West Indian countries to build the Canal. Then there were immigrants straight from India later on. One close friend of my family is mixed Indian & African descent from Panama. She breaks out the traditional dress with the rest of us on special occasions. :-)
Come to think about it, the actress Tatyana Ali has a similar background, but her dad is a Trini immigrant to Panama. Her mom is Afro-Colonial Panamanian (as opposed to West Indian or Afro-Antillano), her dad is East Indian.

First time I really got hip to the extent of Indian Culture in Trinidad was years ago when a calypsonian named Chris Garcia did a video with a bunch of women dressed in Indian garb.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:21 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,443,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Many countries just exhibit the complex of skin color outright...without race classification. It's just in America we have it down to a science.

In the Dominican Republic the light skinned latinos have their own racial epithets for dark skinned ones and vice versa but that doesn't mean that they come to America and forget that their is a skin complex....that is a exponentially stupid argument.

When a Dominican or any other Latino in America says "they are not black" they mean they are not African-American...

These arguments are made by black Americans trying to convince everybody else that there is a macro perception of black skin and that black latinos and black americans are synonymous. They aren't.
How many Dominicans you know? I agree that when they say they are not black they are saying they are not African American. However the few Dominicans I have talked to about this will also say they have no African ancestry and their dark skin is due to Indians in their family. Dominicans work hard to stress their European roots over African roots. Can't say I blame them though.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
How many Dominicans you know? I agree that when they say they are not black they are saying they are not African American. However the few Dominicans I have talked to about this will also say they have no African ancestry and their dark skin is due to Indians in their family. Dominicans work hard to stress their European roots over African roots. Can't say I blame them though.
Yeah.......if my roots were in Ghana I'd deny them as well........

Old 09-30-2013, 11:40 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,524,456 times
Quote:
I wish more people understood this. Some Cubans, Panamanians, Ecuadorians and Colombians are damn near 100% African - in Colombia's Choco some have even retained their African surnames.
that's awesome. too bad black Americans had ours stolen from us. not only did they destroy the garden they had to salt the earth.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
that's awesome. too bad black Americans had ours stolen from us. not only did they destroy the garden they had to salt the earth.
This guy, a doctor and public intellectual in Choco, is an example. His surname comes from Cameroon.

Gustavo Makanaky | University of Pittsburgh - Academia.edu

Old 09-30-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Sounds like "racial profiling" to me; it's Ok for Hispanics to do that to each other if a person looks too "Black"? Sheesh!
it sounds like racial profiling only if you don't know what profiling means. what were they profiling her for? at the very least it was a stupid move by the pageant organizers not getting the proper documentation before hand. at the most it is racial discrimination. no one, but right wing white male "victims" ever said that only white people discriminate. there's plenty of racism in Hispanic cultures. if this wasn't an issue there wouldn't be an article about it.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah.......if my roots were in Ghana I'd deny them as well........
what's wrong with Ghana?

Old 09-30-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
what's wrong with Ghana?
It's a sly dig at EdwardA, the black white supremacist, who claims to be from Ghana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies