Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 05:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,758,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
I honestly don't care if I can or not, I'm talking about the stupidity of the race baiters. There is no "hispanic" race and that words needs to be removed from the census. If you want to check Spanish, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, etc... for ethnicity, that's great! Stop the race-baiting BS. If I can't enter my daughter in a "Little Miss Hispanic" contest, then we should be able to have a "Little Miss Caucasian" contest. I wouldn't put my daughter in one of those things; I'm just saying because of the ethnocentric madness.
True. There is the American language, culture, and people, and country. Hispanics prefer to cling to the language and culture of the hispanic countries they left.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:57 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,553,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
Denny Mendez won Miss Italy in 1996. She was of mixed race. She was born in DR to two Dominican parents. Her mother and her father did not remain together. He mother got married to am Italian man and she packed up and moved with her family to Italy.

If she doesn't identify as black, then she is not black. What's it to you if she doesn't identify as black? She is of mixed race like most Dominicans.
Denny Mendez looks black because she IS black. She can try to wish away her black DNA all she wants but she is readily identified as a fairly dark skinned "black" woman by most who happen to look at her. Her mother can marry all of the Caucasian men of Europe that she pleases but it does not change her daughter's DNA from being that of a partially subSaharan African.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:01 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,553,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Eva has deep Spanish roots but she is also Native American as well. Tex-Mex mestiza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
Right that is what I said or rather was trying to illustrate in my post. But in addition to take it a step further, Eva Longoria has notable black African ancestry as well. I believe she had over 10% African on her genetic DNA test. By U.S. American one droppist logic she could be considered black. It's interesting how fellow people of the same colonial context of French and Spanish Creole ethnic populations are one dropped as black etc.

Also there was no border delineation of clear definition between Spanish Tejas (Texas) and Louisiana etc so many share the same ancestors and traditions. Just wondering.

It's interesting how identities are sociopolitically constructed and perceived. Hmm

Eva Longoria is 70 percent European, 27 percent Native American, and 3 percent African.

Henry Louis Gates, Jr.: Faces of America: The True Dichotomy of Eva Longoria

And Dominican actress Michelle Rodriguez is nearly one quarter subSaharan African

I'm 73% European, 23% African and only 4% Indian,” Rodríguez said.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/ent...in-pbs-series/

Old 10-01-2013, 06:30 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,923,241 times
Quote:
I don't know what you look like, but you certainly could. You're right that it would be stupid, but I don't know about antagonistic. What if I went to some European pride/cultural events? I've always wanted to go to a Renaissance Faire.........
Ren fairs: I've been to a few and the 1 near Phoenix I've seen many American Indians, of all people. Tho I saw very few "brown" Hispanics. Yeah I know, it's goofy.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Most white and Asian ethnic groups have their parades, pageants, scholarships, lodges, etc.

It's only when Black and Latino people do the same thing that the racists get their panties all in a bunch.
Tho I think it got creepy in places like St Bernard, Louisiana with the white "Hispanics" when Leander Perez ran the show they hated dark skin people and I'd bet "brown" Hispanic people would've been shafted too.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
what is caucasion culture? can you compare it to Hispanic culture(s)?
Uh; Hispanic culture IS a "Caucasian" culture IF talking about "white" based ones.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:30 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,523,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Eva Longoria is 70 percent European, 27 percent Native American, and 3 percent African.

Henry Louis Gates, Jr.: Faces of America: The True Dichotomy of Eva Longoria

And Dominican actress Michelle Rodriguez is nearly one quarter subSaharan African

I'm 73% European, 23% African and only 4% Indian,” Rodríguez said.

Michelle Rodriguez Traces Family Roots in PBS Series | Fox News Latino
you probably already know this, but the crazy thing is Michelle Rodriguez's ancestors tried pretty hard to avoid that black DNA. they even married within their families to avoid marrying darker people.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:33 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,523,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; Hispanic culture IS a "Caucasian" culture IF talking about "white" based ones.
Hispanic culture of the new world is not just Spanish culture. many aspects of almost every Hispanic culture include things handed down from west African and native culture. specifically food, music, and dance.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:39 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,681,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I was just thinking about cape verdeans today. there was a friend of mine who loved Nelly Furtado, because she is of Portuguese descent. my friend has cape Verdean parents. the love affair between Portuguese and CV is a one way street.
So true. I am not CV but look like one and speak Portuguese. Anytime I spoke the language to Portuguese, especially when I lived in Boston, they iced me off immediately.

Quote:
the last bastion of self hate in Black America is 1, disguised as fashion/style and 2, the war between the genders that has blatant self hate undertones.

Lots of colonized minds still out there.........

Old 10-01-2013, 07:45 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,681,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Tho I think it got creepy in places like St Bernard, Louisiana with the white "Hispanics" when Leander Perez ran the show they hated dark skin people and I'd bet "brown" Hispanic people would've been shafted too.
Yes they would have. The Isleño (Canary Islander) Perez family was one of the most rabidly racist in the South. Ironically lots of black people in the Caribbean have ancestry in that island chain, including myself. I would love to see if we're related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies