Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,806,156 times

Advertisements

And as far as Afrocentric, there is quite a lot of evidence that humans originated in Africa.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:35 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,570,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I'm basing my comment on the fact I came from a neighborhood with no shortage of representation of latino culture. And...I can say emphatically that no self respecting latino would have elected a little AFRICAN-AMERICAN girl, whose mother didn't/COULDN'T instill any form of the culture in her daughter, to represent that culture.
And yet this beautiful little Afro-Latina child WON over ALL of the rest of the little Latinas. So obviously the Latino pageant judges rated her as far superior to the "white" or "light" Latinas in representing Latin beauty and culture.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:35 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,200,079 times
Quote:
My whole family says hell no..

They agree it's not the little girls fault....but if you want to be representative of a culture..represent it!

By the OP's logic...most of the world has "Black DNA"...and guess what? It means absolutely nothing.
Maybe you responded to the wrong post because it's not clear to what you are responding.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
Right, although I never said that any of these languages are broken French. In your opinion though what is inaccurate about the term broken French or broken English?

There is also controversy over whether or not patois and creole in etymology or origin descriptions are even the same thing but that's for a whole other convo tehehe lol.

Ive always been amazed at how the French Creole/French patois spoken in the islands and nations and places outside of Haiti mirror each other virtually identically (known As Antillean French Creole or AFC) but yet Haiti's is so different.
The clarification was just to explain my point in the post that you responded to since it was originally directed at another poster. But imo, what is inaccurate about the "broken"
terminology is that these the languages that resulted from a mixture of linguistic influences.

The French patois/creole in other islands may share more similarities with each other than Haiti due to movement among the islands. There is probably more to it of course but that is all that comes to mind at the moment.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:47 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,923,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And yet this beautiful little Afro-Latina child WON over ALL of the rest of the little Latinas. So obviously the Latino pageant judges rated her as far superior to the "white" or "light" Latinas in representing Latin beauty and culture.
She actually didn't win....

Like I said, her mom got called out and caught with her pants down. And I'm glad she did. I know Latinos, darker than lil Jakiyah, that would have NEVER let that BS ride.

Get bent...

Old 10-01-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I'm basing my comment on the fact I came from a neighborhood with no shortage of representation of latino culture. And...I can say emphatically that no self respecting latino would have elected a little AFRICAN-AMERICAN girl, whose mother didn't/COULDN'T instill any form of the culture in her daughter, to represent that culture.
And that's why this mixed Afro-Latina/Afro-American girl won...because the display her culture was better than the rest.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Maybe you responded to the wrong post because it's not clear to what you are responding.
You said "but where does it say Dominicans have an issue"

I was giving my anecdote...my whole extended family (who are Dominicans) say she was rightfully stripped.

And most of my latino associates I discussed it with echo the sentiment.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
And that's why this mixed Afro-Latina/Afro-American girl won...because the display her culture was better than the rest.
And she was stripped because she isn't latina...which means she lied. And in turn, lost!

Old 10-01-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
The clarification was just to explain my point in the post that you responded to since it was originally directed at another poster. But imo, what is inaccurate about the "broken"
terminology is that these the languages that resulted from a mixture of linguistic influences.

The French patois/creole in other islands may share more similarities with each other than Haiti due to movement among the islands. There is probably more to it of course but that is all that comes to mind at the moment.
It's broken, as is your logic...you're talking in circles.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:54 PM

308 posts, read 501,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Well by your logic Don Cheadle is also a mixed race man. (He has nearly 20% European ancestry according to his DNA admixture test in the PBS series African American Lives 2)

So would you accept it of Don Cheadle claimed to be "white"? Most likely not. Nor would you accept it if Don Cheadle referred to himself as "mixed".
Woah, hold on now. Don't ASSume or put words in my mouth. There is no one look to being mixed race. As we know most so called black people in the USA and abroad in the diaspora even are mixed. Most true African Americans (AAs) are mixed. Most AAs on average have at least 1/4 (25%) white European ancestry in addition to some Native American.

There is no one look to being mixed race and there are many mixed race people (regardless of the racial mix or combo) that come out dark. It the end or the day it all comes down to perception.

Race itself doesn't exist biologically of genetically. No one can point out here one race begins or where one race ends on a spectrum. It's a sociopolitical construct!

If Don Cheadle identified himself as WHITE, then I actually would accept it. as it's up to the individual to define themselves. If he identified himself as mixed, I'd respect that too and he is in fact mixed or has mixed ancestry.

Does that mean that you accept the oxymoron of light skinned blacks or the idea of white looking blacks? By you very own logic, if you think about that in all logistics, that's just as absurd, ludicrous, and ridiculous as Don Cheadle being a dark skinned white.

I personally believe that if a light white looking person can claim to be black, then a dark skinned person should be able to claim to be white. I think it's good to put whites and white supremacy in it's place and to further speed up the proccess of being equal and equality.

Just like for example, with the racist one drop rule, white supremacists in the mid 20th century bolstered the imposition of the one drop rule which stated that any drop of black in you can make you become confined to forced lumping and labeling as being part of and a member of the black race. In other words it was like white people saying that white blood was too good for a mixed race person to identify with it and that mixed persons or persons with any mixed ancestries were not worthy enough of identifying with it.

So we should push and question the white status quo to acknowledge and accept mixed and ppl of color in general as equals. By dividing or dictating one's identity and determining it for them is to follow suit in the footsteps of white supremacist and even one droppists arrogant imposition. It essentially creates an us vs. them mentality, and we don't need to further anymore divisions than we already have. We need to speak up and challenge the status quo period.

My point is that there is no right or wrong identity when it comes to race. If Denny Mendez is denying completely that she has any African ancestry at all then she has issues. If she denies the label of black she probably just isn't or can't relate to it or whatever it means to be black.

There are definitely ppl that are in fact black that are self hating and in denial and yeah ppl like those have issues but at the end of the day they may learn or if not they will drown in their ignorance.

Also, yes looks can be decieving. Look up polytopicity which is resembling other people or mirroring them in looks but being indirectly related to or indirectly influencing each other.

There are plenty of ppl that look like or resemble other races but are not of those races. It all comes down to perception. I'm not disagreeing with everything you've said here but I'm just pointing out the caveats and complexities of this issue

Last edited by ParadigmizedFactions; 10-01-2013 at 11:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies