Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 11:39 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Wait wait....

So, if you have two American born Latinos. One speaks spanish fluently and one doesn't speak an ounce of it...

They are EQUALLY Latino?

LOL

Thank you for exhibiting you do not know what culture is.
Yet there is far more to culture than language. Of course, language is an important aspect of culture but to limit the discussion to language reflects a limited understanding of what culture is as well.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:42 PM

308 posts, read 500,586 times
Quote:
I don't know...maybe the same way the countless African-American women I've encountered seem to know that they have Cherokee or Blackfoot Native roots LOL...was I supposed to take those claims at face value too?

MY GOD this is getting humorous...

I'm going to make an educated guess here....I'm going to say Jakiyah was singled out because there is a good chance she was the only contestant who didn't have a spanish last name...and very possibly the only contestant who didn't speak a lick of spanish..

And even worse the only contestant whose Mother also did not speak spanish.
Eva Longoria and Jennifer Lopez don't speak Spanish. Also Eva Longoria can trace her ancestry to more than one part of what is now the USA on both sides of her family going to back to the 1500s.

So how is it that you don't think Jakiyah or her family is telling the truth about her having Latin@ heritage?

Old 10-01-2013, 11:42 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Yet there is far more to culture than language. Of course, language is an important aspect of culture but to limit the discussion to language reflects a limited understanding of what culture is as well.
I cannot think of one attribute that is more significant of ones culture or ethnicity than language....

Old 10-01-2013, 11:59 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
I cannot think of one attribute that is more significant of ones culture or ethnicity than language....
That likely depends, especially since language may or may not denote a particular culture. Not to mention, some cultures are multilingual. For me, the dialect of my cultural background reflects our origins around the globe, but there is so much more to us. Many people have deep traditions that are major marks of their culture(s). Plus, people can speak the language of their ethnic/cultural origin yet almost completely immerse themselves in another culture or abandon almost all other cultural practices.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
Eva Longoria and Jennifer Lopez don't speak Spanish. Also Eva Longoria can trace her ancestry to more than one part of what is now the USA on both sides of her family going to back to the 1500s.

So how is it that you don't think Jakiyah or her family is telling the truth about her having Latin@ heritage?
Jennifer Lopez and Eva Longoria both, absolutely, speak spanish. Eva Longoria may have learned it later on in life but nonetheless there is no disputing her lineage. J Lo? Only an idiot would question her heritage in the face of her broken spanish...

J Lo is fluent btw...as shoddy as it is she can move to PR and not deal with any language barrier. Maybe PR is a bad example because most speak English there...lets say DR. She was raised in a spanish speaking home.

I'm not sure what point you are making about Longoria tracing her ancestry.

I question McKoys ethnicity because there simply is no perceptible evidence. If you are making a claim, to win a competition, you should be able to.substantiate it.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:16 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
Opinion: Not speaking Spanish doesn’t make you less Latino

Not even J Lo speaks Spanish, very well no one would accuse her of not being,"Hispanic" enough. Same with the late Selena Quintinallas-Perez.

Not speaking Spanish does not make you a different ethnicity.

Last edited by jasper12; 10-02-2013 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: Added link

Old 10-02-2013, 12:20 AM

J-Lo is one opinion....

Why do people make ethnic cleansing arguments then??? Hey who cares!? Colonialism stripped peoples customs and languages...but nothing changed!!

I guess all Trinidadians are Portugese and Dominicans are Haitian and Hungarians are Sumerian and so forth and so on

Old 10-02-2013, 06:42 AM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Wait wait....

So, if you have two American born Latinos. One speaks spanish fluently and one doesn't speak an ounce of it...

They are EQUALLY Latino?

LOL

Thank you for exhibiting you do not know what culture is.
Latino is simply a geographic thing but most Latinos are Hispanic culturally. Hispanic is a culture and even if one doesn't speak Spanish if they had ancestors that originated in Spain they are considered to be Hispanic culturally.

World English Dictionary
Hispanic (hɪˈspænɪk) — adj 1. relating to, characteristic of, or derived from Spain or Spanish-speaking countries

Old 10-02-2013, 06:52 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,683,943 times
We wouldn't be having this discussion if people understood the difference between race politics and cultural identities. Polls show that most Latin American immigrants don't fancy the word "Latino". The term denotes a vague representation of a group of people.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:55 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Latino is simply a geographic thing. Hispanic is however a culture and even if one doesn't speak Spanish if they had ancestors that originated in Spain they are considered to be Hispanic culturally.
I don't agree with that, an example of this is one of my very good Friends from Cuba, he is black. African blood, and maybe mix, he is mulatto, he speaks Spanish...who knows if he had ancestors from Spain?
Cubans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies