Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 07:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Jakiyah McKoy, Miss Chiquita Delaware, stripped of crown for not proving Hispanic heritage

The pageant organizers demanded to see her papers. Ironic, no?

Meet Jakiyah McKoy, the 7-year-old who won the Miss Chiquita Delaware beauty and talent contest for Hispanics this year. After she claimed the crown, however, there was a problem: The public didn't think she was "the best representative of Latin beauty, " according to El Tiempo Hispano. According to reports, Jakiyah's win caused controversy at the time she was crowned, then later as organizers said her parents never brought in documentation that proved her Dominican heritage (one of the requirements for contestants is that they must be at least 25 percent Latino). Maria Perez, president of contest sponsor Nuestras Raices Delaware, told the Latino Rebels website, "We can't have her be the queen if she doesn't have the proper documentation." An online petition has been set up to allow Jakiyah to keep her crown.

So illegals protest when we require "proper documentation" but strip a child of a pageant crown for not proving her heritage with "papers"...my how rich.
this is hilarious

Old 10-09-2013, 01:05 AM

138 posts, read 328,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well "hispanic" is a pretty artificial term that actually doesn't mean much of anything. It's not a race, it's not any particular ethnic group. The term implies someone whose national allegiance, language, and cultural ties are to one of the Latin American nations except for Brazil.

As far as looking Mexican, because of where I live, I see lots of blond Mexicans but I've also seen black Mexicans when I was in Mexico. Because of where I live, when I see Mennonites speaking German, I assume they are Mexican, they look like Mexicans even before I see their Chihuahua license plates. They look just as Mexican as the Alicia Villarreal types and the dark skinned Jarochos. To me it's like Americans, usually you can tell someone is from the USA whether they are black or white. Same as you can often tell someone is from the Southern part of the USA, or from the Northeast, or from New York or Boston, independent of ethnicity.

The irony is that many people in other parts of the USA will see people they assume are Mexicans but are from El Salvador or Guatemala or even from Colombia or Panama or further south.
That's because as I've said, Malumute, the "Hispanic look" is that of the Mestizo and the Amerindian, here, in the U.S. Most of Latin America, with some exceptions, is Majority Mestizo and a significant population Indigenous. Mexico, Central America, and many countries of South America fit that description. Guatemalans are always mistaken for Mexicans because 40% of Guatemalans are pure indigenous, and almost the entirety of the rest of the population is Mestizo. Even here in the U.S, Mexicans and Mexican Americans will look at white looking Mexicans and assume they aren't Mexican, but rather that they are just white. Here in the U.S. race plays a significant role in identity. People get confused when you look white or black and call yourself a "Hispanic".

Old 10-09-2013, 01:19 AM

138 posts, read 328,436 times
Here in the U.S, there is such thing as not looking Mexican enough. If you look too white or too black, you don't look Mexican enough. There is no such thing as someone looking too indio in the U.S to say that person doesn't look Mexican enough. Mexican identity to Mexican Americans, means being VERY proud in our indigenous roots. Yeah, we speak spanish, but we AREN'T Spaniards. Mexican history starts when the first people settled Mexico prior to the Olmec civilization. I think black and white Americans understand this. Mexicans are the largest Hispanic group in the U.S, our ideas and culture is dominant in the Hispanic community. That's why when people see Guatemalans they think they are Mexicans because they are very indigenous looking, a lot of them are pure indigenous. The U.S has a very racial history. I think it's just a racial thing in the U.S, and I think you'd have to be submersed in U.S politics, culture, and history for a long time to get it.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:41 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Azteca View Post
That's because as I've said, Malumute, the "Hispanic look" is that of the Mestizo and the Amerindian, here, in the U.S. Most of Latin America, with some exceptions, is Majority Mestizo and a significant population Indigenous. Mexico, Central America, and many countries of South America fit that description. Guatemalans are always mistaken for Mexicans because 40% of Guatemalans are pure indigenous, and almost the entirety of the rest of the population is Mestizo. Even here in the U.S, Mexicans and Mexican Americans will look at white looking Mexicans and assume they aren't Mexican, but rather that they are just white. Here in the U.S. race plays a significant role in identity. People get confused when you look white or black and call yourself a "Hispanic".
Quote:
Here in the U.S, there is such thing as not looking Mexican enough. If you look too white or too black, you don't look Mexican enough. There is no such thing as someone looking too indio in the U.S to say that person doesn't look Mexican enough. Mexican identity to Mexican Americans, means being VERY proud in our indigenous roots. Yeah, we speak spanish, but we AREN'T Spaniards. Mexican history starts when the first people settled Mexico prior to the Olmec civilization. I think black and white Americans understand this. Mexicans are the largest Hispanic group in the U.S, our ideas and culture is dominant in the Hispanic community. That's why when people see Guatemalans they think they are Mexicans because they are very indigenous looking, a lot of them are pure indigenous. The U.S has a very racial history. I think it's just a racial thing in the U.S, and I think you'd have to be submersed in U.S politics, culture, and history for a long time to get it.
Agreed and it's def time for the LatAm based Mestizos to STOP using the word "Hispanic" and just call themselves "American Indian", it least it'd be more honest.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:00 AM

62,977 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed and it's def time for the LatAm based Mestizos to STOP using the word "Hispanic" and just call themselves "American Indian", it least it'd be more honest.
That wouldn't be entirely accurate then. Racially they are mestizos a mixed race of usually American Indian and Spanish white. Most are Hispanic culturally because they speak Spanish. One cannot deny a part of their genetics/ethnicity while only referring to themselves by the other half.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:39 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,588 times
Minorities once again displaying how they can be some of the most racial people around, and still get away with it Scot free. Friggin' disgusting.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Except they aren't American Indians. They aren't even Mexican Indians. Mestiso means mixed race, any mix of white, black, and native Mexican.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:04 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Minorities once again displaying how they can be some of the most racial people around, and still get away with it Scot free. Friggin' disgusting.
What are "racial people"?

Old 10-09-2013, 11:21 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
That's exactly what this thread is about, the very racist attitudes of hispanics. The irony, real Mexicans who actually love their country and it's culture and live there, choosing it over easy American dollars, aren't nearly as racist. They wouldn't say for example that a Mexican citizen like Alicia Villarreal isn't a real Mexican, yet those who fled Mexico for the US and it's dollars would. The real Mexicans live in Mexico and they can be any race or color.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:27 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
Papers please, we want to see verification of your Hispanic eligibility.

Yes, that is hilarious. Only those who work in a government agency giving out benefits can see the real irony there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies