Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 11:59 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
Right. Also, for example, Vanna White is half Puerto Rican. Her father is from Puerto Rico. She changed her last name as she rose up in show business.
Vanna's dad, Miguel Angel Rosich, didn't have a Spanish surname, so ethnic reasons had nothing to do with why she changed her name.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:15 PM

2,965 posts, read 3,533,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
You don't know that and you can't prove that. Vanna White could have won.

As a matter of fact if you watch the Univision and Telemundo channels and networks, they have Nuestra Belleza Latina(s) beauty pageants and they always have white looking Latinas with blond hair and blue eyes. Barely any of them are even significantly mixed. In fact I think they even turn away darker skinned and mixed race Latinas from entering. Go look at the Latina channels. Many of the miss world pageants in various nations often only select white and lighter skinned Latinas.

I think 2010 was one year when the Miss Universe and Miss World pageants had a large selection of black women representing the different Latin American nations. I think almost all people selected in most Latin nations for 2010 were black Latina women.

I think ppl also fall for the stereotype of how certain nations should look so that colors peoples perceptions and stereotypes of what Latinos look like or how they should be.

Telemundo and Univision and their pageants are full of and cater to Spanish speaking white people!
I think it's stupid that you have this one ethnic group that takes up a prominent part of the census, when those of us who identify with our English or German roots can't have a "Anglo of any race" or "Teutonic of any race" designation.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Vanna's dad, Miguel Angel Rosich, didn't have a Spanish surname, so ethnic reasons had nothing to do with why she changed her name.
She was adopted by her stepfather and judging by that surname, her biological dad was a Slavic Puerto Rican.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
I think it's stupid that you have this one ethnic group that takes up a prominent part of the census, when those of us who identify with our English or German roots can't have a "Anglo of any race" or "Teutonic of any race" designation.
Anglos and Teutons are white Europeans.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Anglos and Teutons are white Europeans.
So are the vast majority of Spaniards and ethnic Europeans living in Latin America.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
So are the vast majority of Spaniards and ethnic Europeans living in Latin America.
We're not talking about Spaniards or Europeans. We're talking about Spanish-speaking Latinos or those with ancestry in Latin America, who can be of any race, living in America.

That's totally different from the context in which you speak of Teutons or Anglos in the U.S. Many German Americans recognize themselves by following and maintaining that culture in this country. Most of Southern culture, especially, in this country is Anglo and Celtic in origin.

But these ethnic groups - by the way they define themselves - don't have those of other races among them.

Last edited by Lucario; 10-03-2013 at 01:42 PM..

Old 10-03-2013, 02:12 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,865 times
Quote:
stop whining. minorities didn't make it that way. "white" is a designation of power in the US and your ancestors wanted to be white.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
stop whining. minorities didn't make it that way. "white" is a designation of power in the US and your ancestors wanted to be white.
You don't know anything about what my ancestors wanted. Stop typing nonsense.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Do you identify with any of your black ancestors or relatives? You may not have the former but you probably have the latter.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:04 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,865 times
Quote:
that's funny. YOU telling me to stop typing nonsense. show me one post where you haven't typed nonsense on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies