Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 04:51 PM

308 posts, read 500,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
Beverly Johnson is no more mixed than the majority of black americans. Don't be silly. If Denney Mendez was from Latin America, but of Italian lineage there would have been 0 uproar.
No, you don't be silly. You're not even making any sense. First you would have to prove if there was even any uproar at all. From what I can muster, many people were proud to have a woman of color represent Italy. And yes I'm sure there were those ppl for various reasons that didn't want Denny Mendez to represent Italy for any variety of reasons, and sadly some of those reasons could have been due to racism, xenophobia, bigotry or hate. White Italians have faced uproar if Italians just don't like that person at all or for any variety of reasons.

As for Beverly Johnson, you and/or another poster user mentioned their names or comparing their looks akin to or being similar to Denny Mendez, after I stared and brought up/in the factor that Denny Mendez is of mixed ancestral lineage. I simply replied and brought up that if y'all reckon her looks to being like Beverly Johnson who is presumably African American, then it's easily fair and an acceptable FACT that obviously Beverly Johnson, like MOST Americans are of various types of mixed ancestry. I was simply speaking fact while at the same time addressing a flawed statement with an easily counter statement that was just as valid and flawed at the same time. So again Beverly Johnson and Denny Mendez both have mixed ancestry. How they choose to identify themselves is the ultimate and most important thing

There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to identities and perceptions. It's all about perceptions and mutual context and contextualizations.

The main point here though is that depending on context and perception, it blurs rigid lines and narrow thinking. It's not necessarily just black vs white and vice versa (no pun intended)

Old 10-02-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
You don't see anything wrong with incest. Noted. If my husband and I shared a set of grandparents or our parents were siblings it would be 1000% no go. I do not care what my favorite color is.
Don't put words in my mouth or ASSume. I was not speaking only about incest. I was talking about people who happen to be of the same skin color. I was just speaking of the reasons why incest occurred or why ppl of different backgrounds or families of the same skin color may have married each other.

Re read my comment again carefully. I don't not make any comment supporting or suggesting incest.

I do NOT support incest. I find it repulsive and disgusting.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Beverly Johnson is no more mixed than the majority of black americans. Don't be silly. If Denney Mendez was from Latin America, but of Italian lineage there would have been 0 uproar.
And who knows, there was Italian immigration to DR that occurred. It would be interesting if she has Italian lineage somewhere in her family tree. Go figure -_-

Old 10-02-2013, 05:08 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
She must be a white-hispanic
Good grief. I hate that term so much - it's so disingenuous - it makes me sick.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
I've heard far more white people claim native american roots. This is not something only black women do. Btw, the Dominican grandmother was supposedly on the father's side. She was not the mother's mother. She is the one who decided not to fight the issue. Maybe the girl is 1/4 Dominican, maybe not, but that is the percentage set by those running the pageant. If the girl had proof of being 1/4 latino, then the rest of this would be a non issue and it wouldn't matter what any of us think, not even your Dominican family members. Like others said, she was latina enough to win. Her crown was taken for lack of paperwork.
Yeah, that's the thing. Most white people in the USA are mixed. Whites often claim and do have Native American ancestry. Many even claim their black ancestors too. This has happened all throughout history. I don't know why some people act like it was the contrary.

Yeah the whole measuring Latino thing is a bit ridiculous now though. If the culture or identity is passed down and maintained, and the person identifies as such they should be accepted for such. Also you'd have to technically go all the way back to your ancient ancestors. Like what do ppl view as the starting point or ending point, you know?

I think there is more to the story that were not being told, about this media made uproar and controversy.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Okay, who cares?
Ditto! Thank you [round of applause]

Old 10-02-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I would question the racism on the part of these mothers. Her skin wasn't olive toned/brown enough for them? What does skin color have to do with it? If she has Hispanic ancestry then she should qualify as a Hispanic and that's all that matters.
Exactly. The caveat to all this is that the Hispanic ancestor of this girl could be a dark skinned black woman. There are many dark skinned black people in Dominican Republic that have absolutely NO ties or relations to the Haitian side of the island, and are very much so Dominicans.

I think many people have bought into the Hispanic/Latino label construct so much that they often can't fathom it when someone says that they are a white Latino or black Latino. People think that those type of people are mixed or half and half when that is not the case.

This also even happens with Arabs, Muslims, and Middle Easterners, and Jews etc. There are many Arabs that are in fact black, due to the Arab slave trade that has occurred since ancient times. And many ppl view being Arab and being a member of a race as mutually exclusive paridigms or entities.

For example look at the Haqq twins who are actresses, models, and friends of the Kardashians and tag along with them. The Haqq twins are 100% Iranian, Persians, and Arabs all at the same time, but they look like what many people call black.

It's all political and mental semantics.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:24 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
You do know that Haitians are Latinos too. And there are Haitians that identify with Latin identity, in addition to Caribbean identity. That's the thing, none of these label are identities are mutually exclusive.
Haitians are latinos geographically? Then they aren't Hispanic.

This is semantics...

This little girl is not Hispanic and she cannot prove s h e is Latin American..

In regards to Eva Longoria...what lands that are "part of the USA" in the 1500's?? There was no USA.

The name "Longoria" has hispanic roots. That alone affords her some luxury of benefit of the doubt as opposed to miss JAKIYAH MCKOY.

Lastly, don't build strawmen...I never said that speaking spanish is the "main qualification" of being Latino. I said language is one of the most, and probably the most, significant attribute of ones heritage.

If you disagree...I'd love for you to stand in the room with a Croatian and a Slovak and tell me which was which without them opening their mouth.

Can you do so with a Jamaican and a Haitian?

How about some Dominicans and Haitians?

Japanese and Korean?

Old 10-02-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I would question the racism on the part of these mothers. Her skin wasn't olive toned/brown enough for them? What does skin color have to do with it? If she has Hispanic ancestry then she should qualify as a Hispanic and that's all that matters.
Right. Also, for example, Vanna White is half Puerto Rican. Her father is from Puerto Rico. She changed her last name as she rose up in show business.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:28 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
Right. Also, for example, Vanna White is half Puerto Rican. Her father is from Puerto Rico. She changed her last name as she rose up in show business.
Cool...no problem problem proving either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies