Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 07:31 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,935,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And just how does one PROVE their Latin ancestry?

This lovely little Afro-Latina had a (now deceased) grandmother who was from the DR. If she had been living in the US illegally then she most likely did not have documents that would satisfy as "proof". But if little Jakiyah McKoy has to prove her Latin heritage so should ALL of the other contestants. And if it was so important then ALL of the contestants should have been required to produce documentation prior to the pageant.
Agreed about proving "Hispanic" ancestry since there's NO "Hispanic" DNA.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:35 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,935,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Latino is simply a geographic thing but most Latinos are Hispanic culturally. Hispanic is a culture and even if one doesn't speak Spanish if they had ancestors that originated in Spain they are considered to be Hispanic culturally.

World English Dictionary
Hispanic (hɪˈspænɪk) — adj 1. relating to, characteristic of, or derived from Spain or Spanish-speaking countries
Uh; even that can get messy since a German with a name like "Rodriguez" ain't "Hispanic" especially if he does NOT speak Spanish.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:10 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,529,448 times
Hispanic/Latino isn't a race. You can be of any race, including black. Not all Latinos are mixed, so to deny this girl her crown because she "doesn't represent Latino beauty" is comical. What is "Latino beauty" anyway? You're either attractive or you're not, and obviously the judges had deemed this girl pretty regardless of whether she was Afro-Latino, Anglo-Latino, whatever.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:56 AM

63,089 posts, read 29,276,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; even that can get messy since a German with a name like "Rodriguez" ain't "Hispanic" especially if he does NOT speak Spanish.
A person with a German surname can still be culturally Hispanic from his mother's side. It all depends on what culture he adopted....his fathers or his mothers.

George Zimmerman is a good example of that. His father wasn't Hispanic but his mother was. From what I heard he adopted his mother's culture.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:04 AM

63,089 posts, read 29,276,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't agree with that, an example of this is one of my very good Friends from Cuba, he is black. African blood, and maybe mix, he is mulatto, he speaks Spanish...who knows if he had ancestors from Spain?
Cubans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If you don't know if he had ancestors from Spain or not then how can you make such a claim? Being black or a mix has nothing to do with it as that has to do with race not culture. Obviously since he speaks Spanish he has at least adopted the Hispanic culture.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:31 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,525,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
Well Beverly Johnson is mixed too. Denny* Mendez is of mixed ancestry. And if you look at the different Jewish groups in Italy you'll notice that some resemble mixed Afrodescent populations. There are also sizable amounts of Greek Jews (Romaniate) and North African Jews in Italy and many resemble their Middle Eastern, Arab, Latino and mixed race Afrodescent peoples across the globe. Hell, look up the Tennanim and more specifically the Yemenite/Yemen Jews

Moreover, the point is to illustrate that it all depends on the perception of the person from other people. Many ppl across the globe view people from Latin America as not the same as black people. I've witnessed many times ppl get treated differently when they find out that someone is from the Dominican Republic, and to that person it makes them think that they are not black because in the minds of many being from DR can make you exempt from being black.

I know a person who is not into black people, yet has dated many dark skinned Dominicans and other dark skinned Latinos, and when questioned and told that the people he is dating is black, he responds saying, no they are not black, they are Hispanic.

So this issue at hand is a two way street or even a mutual multi tiered multi layered way street
Beverly Johnson is no more mixed than the majority of black americans. Don't be silly. If Denney Mendez was from Latin America, but of Italian lineage there would have been 0 uproar.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
I don't see anything wrong with a person wanting to stay with their own kind or maintaining their skin color.

I know dark skinned people that do the same thing. To each their own, it's their perogative.

Also keep in mind that people marrying within their own families was to also help maintain their names of prestige or to maintain their higher or wealthy social standing regardless of skin color. Class was a big motivator in many cases
You don't see anything wrong with incest. Noted. If my husband and I shared a set of grandparents or our parents were siblings it would be 1000% no go. I do not care what my favorite color is.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I don't know...maybe the same way the countless African-American women I've encounterhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9Del2eYT4Q&feature=youtube_gdata_playered seem to know that they have Cherokee or Blackfoot Native roots LOL...was I supposed to take those claims at face value too?

MY GOD this is getting humorous...

I'm going to make an educated guess here....I'm going to say Jakiyah was singled out because there is a good chance she was the only contestant who didn't have a spanish last name...and very possibly the only contestant who didn't speak a lick of spanish..

And even worse the only contestant whose Mother also did not speak spanish.
I've heard far more white people claim native american roots. This is not something only black women do. Btw, the Dominican grandmother was supposedly on the father's side. She was not the mother's mother. She is the one who decided not to fight the issue. Maybe the girl is 1/4 Dominican, maybe not, but that is the percentage set by those running the pageant. If the girl had proof of being 1/4 latino, then the rest of this would be a non issue and it wouldn't matter what any of us think, not even your Dominican family members. Like others said, she was latina enough to win. Her crown was taken for lack of paperwork.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:42 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,199,020 times
One thing is quite evident. Many parents who involve their children in pageantry at a young age are extremely competitive. After the girl won, they complained about the organization needing to check her paperwork. The mother should have ensured she had proper documents. However, I blame the organization the most. Had they implemented the paperwork policy across the board from the beginning, this would not have occured. I feel for the children involved more than anything.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:47 AM

2,996 posts, read 3,548,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Denny Mendez looks black because she IS black. She can try to wish away her black DNA all she wants but she is readily identified as a fairly dark skinned "black" woman by most who happen to look at her. Her mother can marry all of the Caucasian men of Europe that she pleases but it does not change her daughter's DNA from being that of a partially subSaharan African.
Okay, who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies