Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 11:12 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
You're using semantics...I call it broken.

Jamaican Patois is BROKEN ENGLISH. Period...

There is huge cockney influence along with their own patchwork. What is cockney? Slang...what is slang?

Informal language.

Broken! Maybe that's slang for informal! I love question begging.
I am of the opinion that Jamaican patois is a dialect or even a language and Patois/French-Creole is a language. That's what the mix of people or languages created. Any "broken" terminology ignores the contributions of other languages. It is not semantics. But of course, you can call it what you want, which to me reflects your misunderstanding of mixed culture(s).

Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 PM

308 posts, read 500,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There is no way to know. There are no Olmec people today to test them for genetic markers and no one knows what ever became of them. The baby heads most definitely look African. How would Asian Siberians crossing the Bering Strait and going all the way into southern Mexico think up African features for their carvings?

It's not a myth or a lie -- it's just people wondering who or what inspired those carvings and wondering who were the Olmecs.
Please watch this video on POLYTOPICITY:

Polytopicity - YouTube

Old 10-01-2013, 11:16 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And just how does one PROVE their Latin ancestry?

This lovely little Afro-Latina had a (now deceased) grandmother who was from the DR. If she had been living in the US illegally then she most likely did not have documents that would satisfy as "proof". But if little Jakiyah McKoy has to prove her Latin heritage so should ALL of the other contestants. And if it was so important then ALL of the contestants should have been required to produce documentation prior to the pageant.
I don't know...maybe the same way the countless African-American women I've encountered seem to know that they have Cherokee or Blackfoot Native roots LOL...was I supposed to take those claims at face value too?

MY GOD this is getting humorous...

I'm going to make an educated guess here....I'm going to say Jakiyah was singled out because there is a good chance she was the only contestant who didn't have a spanish last name...and very possibly the only contestant who didn't speak a lick of spanish..

And even worse the only contestant whose Mother also did not speak spanish.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:17 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
The ones who stripped her surely do...all that matters...

And the lack of support on Jakiyahs "petition" tells me that Latinos ain't exactly pouring out in support either.
The point is that those who protested could have been of any Hispanic background.

And I'll bet that the majority of Hispanics couldn't care less about the pageant in the first place. Those in my family surely do not and likely feel it is better that children at such a tender age should not be involved in pageantry.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
And I'll bet that the majority of Hispanics couldn't care less about the pageant in the first place. Those in my family surely do not and likely feel it is better that children at such a tender age should not be involved in pageantry.
I agree that is the most likely scenario. And agree on the last point as well.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:20 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
wow, all this hubbub over a trashy private "competition" run by a penny-ante private business that's the Delaware version of Honey Boo Boo?
Sorry, little Miss McKoy, your family failed you the minute they entered you into this idiocy. It's a made-up title that's all about the pageant producer making money.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:22 PM

308 posts, read 500,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There is no way to know. There are no Olmec people today to test them for genetic markers and no one knows what ever became of them. The baby heads most definitely look African. How would Asian Siberians crossing the Bering Strait and going all the way into southern Mexico think up African features for their carvings?

It's not a myth or a lie -- it's just people wondering who or what inspired those carvings and wondering who were the Olmecs.
Please watch this video on POLYTOPICITY. It explains it in detail short and sweet and to the point :

Polytopicity - YouTube

Old 10-01-2013, 11:24 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Lol I wonder if Calipoppy would give someone like...oohh...Kim Kardashian a standing ovation if she won a Miss Ethiopia contest based on her great, great aunt having citizenship there...
Quote:
I don't know...maybe the same way the countless African-American women I've encountered seem to know that they have Cherokee or Blackfoot Native roots LOL...was I supposed to take those claims at face value too?

MY GOD this is getting humorous...

I'm going to make an educated guess here....I'm going to say Jakiyah was singled out because there is a good chance she was the only contestant who didn't have a spanish last name...and very possibly the only contestant who didn't speak a lick of spanish..

And even worse the only contestant whose Mother also did not speak spanish.
What is obvious is that this little Afro-Latina performed well enough to be crowned the best representative of Latin heritage. What does her mother speaking Spanish have to do with anything? I know 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation Latinos who do not speak a word of Spanish and that makes them no less Latino. I also know many Latinos who do not have a Spanish surname and this does not make them any less Latino.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
Please watch this video on POLYTOPICITY:

Polytopicity - YouTube
Yea this dude nails it.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What is obvious is that this little Afro-Latina performed well enough to be crowned the best representative of Latin heritage. What does her mother speaking Spanish have to do with anything? I know 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation Latinos who do not speak a word of Spanish and that makes them no less Latino. I also know many Latinos who do not have a Spanish surname and this does not make them any less Latino.
Wait wait....

So, if you have two American born Latinos. One speaks spanish fluently and one doesn't speak an ounce of it...

They are EQUALLY Latino?

LOL

Thank you for exhibiting you do not know what culture is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies