Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 08:28 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
stop whining. minorities didn't make it that way. "white" is a designation of power in the US and your ancestors wanted to be white.
True that. 150 years ago us "Irish" were the REAL N words. Meaning "free persons of color" had a better time than us in many parts of the US. We went from the shanty to lace curtain Irish. Now; with the hood rats offing each other off real fast, the decent Black dudes and ladies are stepping up and taking care of business like the POTUS in 2013.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:47 PM

138 posts, read 328,436 times
The typical hispanic look is that of the Mestizo and Amerindian. If someone looks too white or too black they can be considered "not hispanic" enough. I've never heard of someone looking too indio (Indian/Amerindian) to not look Hispanic enough. Ex: George Lopez who looks heavily, if not purely Amerindian is someone you'd think of when the word "Hispanic" is uttered.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Azteca View Post
The typical hispanic look is that of the Mestizo and Amerindian. If someone looks too white or too black they can be considered "not hispanic" enough. I've never heard of someone looking too indio (Indian/Amerindian) to not look Hispanic enough. Ex: George Lopez who looks heavily, if not purely Amerindian is someone you'd think of when the word "Hispanic" is uttered.
That's the La Raza definition but guess again, not all hispanics are straight out of Mexico. Nor are all Mexicans Mexican indios, many are black, white, and all kinds of mixtures.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:13 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Please do not take my quote out of context....

I did not call the girl a grimy black american.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:59 PM

138 posts, read 328,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's the La Raza definition but guess again, not all hispanics are straight out of Mexico. Nor are all Mexicans Mexican indios, many are black, white, and all kinds of mixtures.
Of course, not all Latinos are from Mexico or are of Mexican descant, but the majority of Latinos in the U.S. are of Mexican descant.

In regards to the second half of your statement, malamute, the same can be said for Germany, or any country in the world really. Not all Germans are white, many are Arab, Black, Asian, so on and so forth. However, the majority of the population does fit a certain "stereotype", thus the reason why someone can look German, or, in this instance, Mexican.
Wouldn't you say?

Old 10-06-2013, 10:38 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Please do not take my quote out of context....

I did not call the girl a grimy black american.
Your EXACT words are below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
My honest opinion...

I think they just didn't want to lose to some grimy black American trying to pull a fast one.

That's just me...

I believe if that girl was up there dancing bachata, singing merengue and showing and proving...these mothers would have had no issues. I could be totally wrong.

I'd also like to take it back to the J Lo and Longoria examples....two polar opposites , so it seems, when it comes to the perceived significance of their respective cultures. One marginalized the native tongue while the other went to great lengths to verse herself in it and embraced it.
If the little girl was the only one running for anything (in this case meaning the pageant) then who else were you referring to in your post? The adults were not running so they could neither win nor lose. So your comment was obviously directed at the child.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Azteca View Post
Of course, not all Latinos are from Mexico or are of Mexican descant, but the majority of Latinos in the U.S. are of Mexican descant.

In regards to the second half of your statement, malamute, the same can be said for Germany, or any country in the world really. Not all Germans are white, many are Arab, Black, Asian, so on and so forth. However, the majority of the population does fit a certain "stereotype", thus the reason why someone can look German, or, in this instance, Mexican.
Wouldn't you say?
Well "hispanic" is a pretty artificial term that actually doesn't mean much of anything. It's not a race, it's not any particular ethnic group. The term implies someone whose national allegiance, language, and cultural ties are to one of the Latin American nations except for Brazil.

As far as looking Mexican, because of where I live, I see lots of blond Mexicans but I've also seen black Mexicans when I was in Mexico. Because of where I live, when I see Mennonites speaking German, I assume they are Mexican, they look like Mexicans even before I see their Chihuahua license plates. They look just as Mexican as the Alicia Villarreal types and the dark skinned Jarochos. To me it's like Americans, usually you can tell someone is from the USA whether they are black or white. Same as you can often tell someone is from the Southern part of the USA, or from the Northeast, or from New York or Boston, independent of ethnicity.

The irony is that many people in other parts of the USA will see people they assume are Mexicans but are from El Salvador or Guatemala or even from Colombia or Panama or further south.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:27 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
Sadly, this type of "ethnic" heritage pride, has a downfall, in creating division, and exclusion, when in reality, it should be embracing diversity. It reminds me of when I was teaching school, and some Hispanic Mothers and teachers wanted to have traditional folk dances taught to the children for Hispanic heritage month...but only wanted Hsipanic children allowed to participate. They only wanted Hispanic children to do the dance at the school party. And, because this was an after school event, that required a registration fee, they were able to exclude the children they wanted to exclude.

This needs to stop. I appreciate cultural heritage and pride. But, this was obviously a staged event, catering to a definite audience. It surprises me that they even let a girl participate that did not fit their agenda.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:04 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Your EXACT words are below

If the little girl was the only one running for anything (in this case meaning the pageant) then who else were you referring to in your post? The adults were not running so they could neither win nor lose. So your comment was obviously directed at the child.
Are you asking for the context of my statement? I was speaking about the mother. The mother was the legally consenting adult submitting her child into a pageant.

Is it logical to think a 7-year-old twisted her mothers arm to enter the pageant? Or is it a more reasonable suggestion that the mother coerced an unwitting child into the pageant?

Not very hard to wrap your head around. I clarified my statement once an it zinged off of you. Maybe this time it will snap into place.

Or...maybe you will continue to make arguments..not with my meaning of my.words but your meaning of my words. Lol

Old 10-07-2013, 06:53 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
Well Anglos, Germanics, Brittanics, and Teutonics can by of any race or race mixtures. It's just as equivalently analogous to Hispanic/Latino and such contextual usages
I do not agree. While Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Peruvians, Colombians, etc. are Hispanic/Latino, Black Americans are not Anglos. And unless you want to refer to recent immigrants to Germany, there are no nonwhite Teutonics.

In the case of British or such, I can see a case being made for people such as West Indians and other former colonial subjects of the British Empire being considered British.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies