Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 08:02 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
"We?" You weren't there. And chances are, neither were any of your ancestors. Achieve something on your own rather than taking credit for things people who may have looked like you did.

And if you take credit for whatever great things they did, you have to take the blame for the horrible, savage things they did as well.
Uh; savage things? If we're gonna play that: maybe all "Black" people need to own up to the nasty stuff the Hutus did to the Tutsi's in Rwanda in OUR life times. Sheesh!

Old 10-09-2013, 08:06 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Azteca View Post
RACE: a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock

ETHNICITY: the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.
all Mexicans are not a family. ask the wealthy white ones. there are many tribes in Mexico. which one do you belong to? maybe one that doesn't speak Spanish? people. all Mexicans Do Not come from the same stock. there are Mexicans with 100% European blood. there are Mexicans of Asian descent. Jewish Mexicans. Mexican is a nationality just like being an American. there are many social groups in Mexico. there are natives that live a totally different life from Mexicans in Mexico city. their cultures are about the same as a liberal from NY and a miner from west Virginia.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:07 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
I read about this issue before because it seems to be making its rounds in the black media.

Anyway, given the information that we know, I don't think it's unreasonable for the validity of her ancestry to be called into question. I mean, the girl's name is Jakiyah McCoy for heaven's sake. Any reasonable minded person would have questioned the authenticity of her ethnic background. Anyone who says otherwise is either lying to themselves or just straight up biased.

Flip the scenario just a bit-- If this were a black little Miss Black America beauty pageant, with a little Chinese girl as the winner who claims that her grandmother was a black american from the US and still appeared to be visibly "Chinese" and yet still had a traditional Chinese first and surname without a shred of evidence to prove otherwise, how many of us wouldn't call that out as strange?

Old 10-09-2013, 09:00 PM

138 posts, read 328,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
all Mexicans are not a family. ask the wealthy white ones. there are many tribes in Mexico. which one do you belong to? maybe one that doesn't speak Spanish? people. all Mexicans Do Not come from the same stock. there are Mexicans with 100% European blood. there are Mexicans of Asian descent. Jewish Mexicans. Mexican is a nationality just like being an American. there are many social groups in Mexico. there are natives that live a totally different life from Mexicans in Mexico city. their cultures are about the same as a liberal from NY and a miner from west Virginia.
If you say you don't have indigenous blood, then you aren't a real Mexican, simple and plain.

To be Mexican means to have indigenous blood. The Aztec symbol for Tenochtitlan is on the Mexican flag for a reason.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:17 PM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
If you say you don't have indigenous blood, then you aren't a real Mexican, simple and plain.

To be Mexican means to have indigenous blood. The Aztec symbol for Tenochtitlan is on the Mexican flag for a reason.
So you completely ignore the facts put before you? Mexican is a nationality. Someone already explained to you that Mexicans can be of any race or ethnicity. It's the same in the U.S. Americans can be of either of those two things because it is only a nationality. Is there a mainstream identifying group? Yes, but that's not to say that someone of Chinese descent for example can't be an American. It is the same thing in Mexico or any other country in the world.

What if I were to say that one couldn't be a real American unless they were white? The screams of racism would fly off the handle. It wouldn't be racist it would just be an inaccurate statement for me to make just like you are doing about Mexicans.

You are totally confused once again as to what nationality is vs race/ethnicity.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:21 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I read about this issue before because it seems to be making its rounds in the black media.

Anyway, given the information that we know, I don't think it's unreasonable for the validity of her ancestry to be called into question. I mean, the girl's name is Jakiyah McCoy for heaven's sake. Any reasonable minded person would have questioned the authenticity of her ethnic background. Anyone who says otherwise is either lying to themselves or just straight up biased.

Flip the scenario just a bit-- If this were a black little Miss Black America beauty pageant, with a little Chinese girl as the winner who claims that her grandmother was a black american from the US and still appeared to be visibly "Chinese" and yet still had a traditional Chinese first and surname without a shred of evidence to prove otherwise, how many of us wouldn't call that out as strange?
FYI, you can not tell someone's Latin heritage solely by their name.

And if her heritage was in question, then why wasn't it raised as an issue BEFORE the pageant and BEFORE the parents paid the pageant fee?

Jakiyah McCoy was LATINA enough to WIN the pageant (which was judged by Latinos) over ALL of the other little Latinas. It only became an issue when the mother of the RUNNER-UP didn't like the fact that her white Latina daughter lost to a black Latina. So after the crown was stripped from the black Latina it was given to her white Latina daughter.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:

I'd wanna be the fly on the wall if you said your former prez Vincente Fox wasn't a real Mexican and what HE'D say to you. It wouldn't be real nice IMHO.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:25 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:

Some Mexicans have European ancestry. Some Mexicans have subSaharan African ancestry. Some Mexicans have Middle Eastern ancestry. Some Mexicans have Asian ancestry. And some (most) are a mixture. You can be "Mexican" without having indigenous ancestry.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Some Mexicans have European ancestry. Some Mexicans have subSaharan African ancestry. Some Mexicans have Middle Eastern ancestry. Some Mexicans have Asian ancestry. And some (most) are a mixture. You can be "Mexican" without having indigenous ancestry.
Agreed but some "Hispanics" hate the truth and have their heads in the sand.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:38 PM

138 posts, read 328,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So you completely ignore the facts put before you? Mexican is a nationality. Someone already explained to you that Mexicans can be of any race or ethnicity. It's the same in the U.S. Americans can be of either of those two things because it is only a nationality. Is there a mainstream identifying group? Yes, but that's not to say that someone of Chinese descent for example can't be an American. It is the same thing in Mexico or any other country in the world.

What if I were to say that one couldn't be a real American unless they were white? The screams of racism would fly off the handle. It wouldn't be racist it would just be an inaccurate statement for me to make just like you are doing about Mexicans.

You are totally confused once again as to what nationality is vs race/ethnicity.
Mexican is an ethnicity and a nationality. Again, it's not that hard a concept to grasp. Just like German is a nationality and an ethnicity. Need I again post the definition for the word ethnicity? Quite frankly, I don't care if I'm called a racist or not. The truth is the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies