Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 08:32 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,523,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Well the Dominicans have just stripped the citizenship of Dominicans who were born to illegal Haitian migrants going as far back as 1929.

Experts fear crisis over ruling stripping citizenship from Haitian-Dominicans | Fox News
yeah they do that kind of isht. they act like they don't want them there, but won't give the Haitians passports to leave. one kid had got a minor league baseball deal and lost it, b/c the DR wouldn't give him a pp to go to the US. another man was not able to marry his American wife and go back to the states with her because of lack of documentation.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
And the Mayan, Aztec, Tlaxcalan and many other native Mexicans in addition to the Mexicans whose ancestors were brought in from Africa. Plus look at famous Mexicans like Frida Kahlo, family was not Spanish.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
What is very interesting to me about this, my Grandmother was born in Mexico. A Mormon ex pat family, that moved to Mexico when polygamy was illegal. Her parents, 100% Swedish. My Grandma, is "Mexican", I have blonde hair, blue eyes, and I guess, by this definition, I would also be "Hispanic".
But someone does not have to actually be from a hispanic nation to be one. I have "chicano" friends whose families are in the Midwest USA, grandparents lived in Texas, possibly even great grandparents lived in Texas. They speak no Spanish, have never stepped foot in a hispanic country but would be considered to be 100% hispanic.

In fact another guy I know from New Mexico said his family never came from south of the border, they go way way back in New Mexico. He's native-American but with a Spanish last name which makes him hispanic even though he speaks no Spanish. He isn't sure if he's got any Spanish ancestors but his grandparents spoke Spanish. He would be hispanic he says but not Mexican because his family never lived in Mexico.

Another family I know is directly from Mexico, they speak Spanish but also learned English. They're 100% Jewish but consider themselves to be hispanic and have ancestors that lived in Spain and immigrated to Mexico from there.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:31 AM

308 posts, read 500,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I don't know why anyone of any ethnicity would enter their 7-year-old in a beauty pageant. That being said, she has as much right to claim her Latinness as anyone else. The fact that most Latins are not white but still embrace white notions of beauty notwithstanding, light/mixed Dominicans don't have the right to think they're the arbiters of who should represent what Latins look like.

The ultimate irony of this is when a black Domimican girl won Miss Italy a few years ago, the Italians raised a funk about how Denny Mendez didn't represent Italian beauty. Of course, when she was asked about the whole controversy at the Miss Universe pageant, she responded by saying (in Italian) that she didn't want the word "black" to be used to describe her. The Italian interpreter, who had an incredulous look on his face, changed her statement to say that Mendez was speaking out against discrimination against immigrants in Italy.

I swear you can't make this crazy stuff up.
Denny Mendez won Miss Italy in 1996. She was of mixed race. She was born in DR to two Dominican parents. Her mother and her father did not remain together. He mother got married to am Italian man and she packed up and moved with her family to Italy.

If she doesn't identify as black, then she is not black. What's it to you if she doesn't identify as black? She is of mixed race like most Dominicans.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Being "Black" and "Hispanic" are not mutually exclusive.
I know that. Re read my comments. I was stating that her claim to being Hispanic is allegedly from her late grandmother who was supposedly from the DR. I'm aware that black and Hispanic are NOT mutually exclusive. I've been saying that for several years now.

I'm not sure what this girl's full lineage or heritage is other than the DR roots.

I suspect that there is more to the story that is being left out that we are not hearing. That's why further investigation of this from outside is important and the media likes to stir up controversy and issues ratings and race baiting and ethnic divisions and poLIEtical mongering and politics.

If what is being reported is fully true than it's effed up, PERIOD!

Old 10-01-2013, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Sounds like "racial profiling" to me; it's Ok for Hispanics to do that to each other if a person looks too "Black"? Sheesh!
It happens to many whites as well too or those Hispanics that resemble one race. It happens to Asian Hispanics.

Ppl still think there is a Hispanic look. Hispanic by de facto to many ppl, makes them think of mixed race looking. That's the way it's marketed and on Spanish language media they often show the whitest Latinos, some often whiter than those on mainstream English language media.

The Hispanic/Latino label and it's incorrect usage is very damaging.

Ppl say that when Hispanics and Latinos become the majority that it will be lighter toned and white Latinos and Hispanics that will take over and run and control the USA with the white identified status quo.

Hispanics/Latinos are able to have their cake and eat it too. It's all poLIEtics.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:52 AM

Quote:
The only Latin country with a significant East Indian population is Venezuela. Also a few in Puerto Rico.
Panama has a sizable East Indian descent population.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's why I oppose criteria for things that involve some sort of Sherman Williams paint color chart.

This months national geographic beautifully sums up my feelings on how more and more of the US is becoming mixed race and the lines will just keep getting blurrier and blurrier.

The true irony is that most of the "latinas" that would win that kind of contest really just look like J-Lo and would be 75% or more European. They are practically "white" when they stand next to the south americans that don't end up modeling.

They are really just arguing over which part of Europe some of these gals have most of their DNA from.
The USA is already mixed race. LOL. Most people that settled in the lands of the USA from the earliest of times have mixed with different groups. It's just a matter of the American psyche and consciousness recognizing mixed race identity and mixedness.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Come to think about it, the actress Tatyana Ali has a similar background, but her dad is a Trini immigrant to Panama. Her mom is Afro-Colonial Panamanian (as opposed to West Indian or Afro-Antillano), her dad is East Indian.

First time I really got hip to the extent of Indian Culture in Trinidad was years ago when a calypsonian named Chris Garcia did a video with a bunch of women dressed in Indian garb.
Actually, Tatyana Ali's father is Trinidadian of East Indian descent. Her mother is a Panamanian of African descent. Her mother has Afro-Colonial roots, and in addition supposedly a little bit of West Indian roots as well. Her parents met in the USA.

There was a travel docu series special that explored her roots and traveling to Panama. It was pretty interesting and good to see.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
From what I understand, there is a small but significant population in Panama, plenty descending from those immigrants from West Indian countries to build the Canal. Then there were immigrants straight from India later on. One close friend of my family is mixed Indian & African descent from Panama. She breaks out the traditional dress with the rest of us on special occasions. :-)
In Panama (PTY/507), they use the term "culiso" to describe East Indian descendants skin complexion or to refer to any person with a brownish skin tone color. It comes from the hispanicization and bastardization of the term "coolie".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies