Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 10:48 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
For several hours, EBT cards stopped showing their balances in parts of Louisiana. Walmart stores in Springhill and Mansfield, LA took pity on EBT users and announced that they would accept the cards on good faith, so welfare users “could get food to their families.”

What happened next is both Walmarts were jammed packed. Entire shelves were cleared as EBT card holders raced to the stores and filled up carts with anything they could grab.

Walmart began accepting the cards on good faith at 7:00 PM. However, at 9:00 PM the balances started showing again. Immediately a woman was caught trying to “buy” $700 worth of stuff with a balance of $.49.

When loudspeakers announced that EBT balances were showing again, dozens of patrons immediately abandoned their carts. It seems the majority of the the people remaining in line were knowingly trying to defraud Walmart. Both Walmarts were left cluttered with jam packed carts. The EBT card holders were simply trying to get more free stuff at Walmart’s expense.

Perishable items left in the carts were ruined.

EBT users abuse generous Walmart to steal goods
I'm not going to start with the Walmart is evil anyways, so who cares bandwagon. This was actually a wonderful gesture by Walmart to help those in need. what WM should have done was say that they would take the payments in good faith only up to a certain amount, like $50 per customer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 10:50 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,379 times
EBT, how shame-less you would have to be to whip out that I AM A TOTAL FAILURE calling-card and slap it down on the counter for all to see. No wonder these people never get off benefits, the kind of mindset you'd be reduced to in order to even be able to use such a card pretty much guarantees you never being successful. Eat the turkish delight and you are a slave for life, bought and paid for.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:52 AM

945 posts, read 968,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
EBT, how shame-less you would have be to whip out that I AM A TOTAL FAILURE calling-card and slap it down on the counter for all to see. No wonder these people never get off benefits, the kind of mindset you'd be reduced to in order to even be able to use such a card pretty much guarantees you never being successful. Eat the turkish delight and you are a slave for life, bought and paid for.
That was a mic dropper. My god did you crush me with laughter!

Old 10-14-2013, 10:53 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,862,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Mmm...yea. Goes by number of "dependents". What a mess this is. Just a free fer all. EBT cardz became a license to loot. At least it was confined to food items, I can just imagine the frenzy if booze, cigs and clothing were fair game. Still, the monumental waste of food is beyond comprehension for me.

I grew up in a world where you did NOT waste food. My folks were depression era, and it left ingrained habits. And to think, a whole stores stock of perishables ...gone. Trash. Truly disgusting.
My parents were children in the post-depression years, but I grew up in a similar world where you did not waste food and you DEFINITELY did not take what is not yours.

It does not speak well of those involved that the store felt the need to call the police to the store. I've stood in line for concert tickets where the crowds were easily larger than the number of people that were in this Walmart, and nobody ever felt the need to call the police.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:56 AM

945 posts, read 968,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I'm not going to start with the Walmart is evil anyways, so who cares bandwagon. This was actually a wonderful gesture by Walmart to help those in need. what WM should have done was say that they would take the payments in good faith only up to a certain amount, like $50 per customer.
Why is a selected class (EBT users) treated differently than citizen who actually provided their own funds?

What a foolish way to think about things, a system goes down so let's give them more free stuff.

This is how it should have gone down: declined = nothing like someone who has a maxed out VISA or Mastercard.

California + Walmart hater = illogical and immoral

Old 10-14-2013, 11:00 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,757,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Walmart stores in Springhill and Mansfield, LA took pity on EBT users and announced that they would accept the cards on good faith, so welfare users “could get food to their families.â€
What did Walmart think would happen? That those welfare users would be gracious enough to only put a handful of items in their shopping carts? It goes to show Walmart the kind of people that they were dealing with.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:08 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
If I was in the upper mgt at Walmart I would fire all the people that were involved in making a decision to trust the public to do the right thing. Predicting the outcome was as easy as stealing candy off a baby with no arms. I would have a full investigation and even fire the people that agreed with that idiot decision.
I think it's sad that it's predictable, but it is SO predictable...

Old 10-14-2013, 11:09 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
EBT, how shame-less you would have to be to whip out that I AM A TOTAL FAILURE calling-card and slap it down on the counter for all to see. No wonder these people never get off benefits, the kind of mindset you'd be reduced to in order to even be able to use such a card pretty much guarantees you never being successful. Eat the turkish delight and you are a slave for life, bought and paid for.
Do you walk around flashing your cards?
I have never seen what other people swipe with and I don't think people look at what I swipe with.
It'd be easy to hide from everyone but the cashier.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:13 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Here's an idea... Make the leeches (gasp) WORK OFF their debts. Be it community service, yard work around local Walmarts, etc.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:20 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,396 times
be realistic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies