Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2013, 04:10 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times

Advertisements

It is true that her arrest occurred AFTER (chronologically speaking) her complaint to the McD president.

However the arrest was not BECAUSE of her complaint. She and others chose to protest somewhere they were not welcome (not a McDonalds).

I have nearly zero sympathy for someone working as a cashier at McDonalds for ten years. It is probably an act of charity that her bosses haven't replaced her with someone more motivated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 04:33 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times
Give it a few more years and her job will be completely computerized.

Fast Food Self-Ordering Replaces Cashiers - YouTube

Old 10-16-2013, 08:55 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,910 times
He deserved to hear from one of his employees, rather than one of his VP lackeys who are full of lickspittle and smooth words.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:15 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post

“It’s really hard for me to feed my two kids and struggle day to day,” Salgado shouted at McDonald’s USA President Jeff Stratton while he spoke to the Union League Club of Chicago. “Do you think this is fair, that I have to be making $8.25 when I’ve worked for McDonald’s for ten years?”

She should be shouting at herself in the mirror.

[the source of the problem is looking right back at her]

Old 10-16-2013, 11:54 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
macpherson;31836204] Little growing babies need a young healthy women to develop and be nurtured out of, its the way its supposed to be.
Those little babies also need a MAN to own up to his responsibilities of providing all means of support to them and their mothers. That's also the way it supposed to be. Unfortunately some male segments of our society have no interest in such things and this is what you get.

Quote:
What kind of a society would shun young women having a baby regardless ? This world and its bent way of doing things is not in step with the surviving norm of the species and twisted. A culture without.
The kind of society who doesn't want to "be judgemental" towards men who consider a child not much more than an after effect of getting laid and women who chose to not take advantage of their education opportunites and, instead, have babies out of wedlock. Repeatedly.

We have way too many in society who find that acceptable today.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:57 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
He deserved to hear from one of his employees, rather than one of his VP lackeys who are full of lickspittle and smooth words.
Or better yet, YOU hire her at a "living wage" and show those bootlicking corporate lackeys how it's done.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:59 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Or better yet, YOU hire her at a "living wage" and show those bootlicking corporate lackeys how it's done.
Go work for a corporation and hang with the VPs. You'll see what I mean and change your tune.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:02 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
My god, if she doesn't agree to the pay quit and get another job.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:22 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Those kind of jobs pretty much pay the wages that the work demands - no skills required, no education required, no experience required... literally ANYONE can do the job.

When you offer a job that anyone can do, you don't have to pay very much, because if someone thinks it's too little, you can just hire someone else who thinks it's enough for them.

Those kind of jobs are not meant to be "career jobs" that you can expect to support a family on - they are temporary jobs that you can do to make a little extra money. If you are a teenager with no bills or expenses, you can make a few hundred bucks a month to buy a ****ty used car or a new xbox or whatever. If you are an adult and a little behind on your bills you can pick up one of these jobs to help catch up, etc. And then you quit and go off to college or get a "real" job or whatever.

The problem is some people think that if they have a job, ANY job (fast food, Wal-Mart, etc.), it should be enough to live off. They fail to grasp the concept of supply/demand and don't consider that it makes no sense to expect to be paid a high wage for doing a job that literally anyone else could do as well. If they want a "living wage" then they should acquire some useful skills that people ARE willing to pay more for.

But this is why I like the Universal Basic Income idea from Switzerland. If you don't have the skills or education needed to get a good job, then fine - here's your money that everyone gets. If you need a little more, pick up a job at Burger King. But I don't like any of these suggestions like "minimum wage" or "living wage" that forces companies to pay more than the market demands, because all that does is increase costs for the rest of us. Especially when "the rest of us" DON'T get raises when minimum wage goes up, all we get are increased costs.
I disagree with your idea that these are not "career jobs". Go the McDonalds website and go to the job section where it says careers not jobs for teenagers or anything like that. If they are advertising it as a career then that is what it is. If supply/demand has a job that does not pay enough to live on would it not be better to just get rid of that job and create better paying jobs. If a job can not even be worth enough for someone to live on seems like a pretty useless job to me. I do agree a Universal Basic Income would be great and might eliminate the need for some of these jobs.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:25 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Why do people think they should be able to make a living at places like McDonalds?
Why do you think if a job can not provide a living for someone the job should even exist? You do realize there are only so many higher paying jobs not enough for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies