Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:24 PM

397 posts, read 264,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Our bankruptcy? The selling off of America? China superceding us as the world's Superpower? You, me, but most importantly your (I don't have any) children and grandchildren and theirs, and on and on, if the world even makes it that long.

This is what makes me wonder why I don't just say screw it and live for today. What is the point.
I dont have any kids, I am not tied down to anything in this country, a part of me wants to move to Canada so bad

And I would want to say screw it, but as someone who needs every dime I can get, I fear for the future(and I cant live in the present)

It must be nice to be a Republican and have millions of dollars stuffed away and not give a **** about anything that happens in this country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 11:24 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,405 times
I don't think it will be as bad as the great depression. It will be a worse recession than 2001 for sure. I'm pretty sure there will be at least a recession. The stock market is slowly deflating as even overly optimistic investors are realizing the party is over.

I only hope the US doesn't learn all the wrong lessons from this. The US needs to invest in its future, and for too long, we haven't been doing that. Roads, schools, education, those things are all important. How many more bridge disasters do we need before we wake up? Nobody is going to invest in a country with a crumbling infrastructure and semi-literate children.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:25 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Probably would not hurt most Americans to tighten their belts, go on a diet and learn to live frugal for a while as I certainly believe things will get tight if not tough for a while. However this certainly isn't the end of American civilization by a long shot.

While we have dug ourselves a very large hole that will take some time to recover from because we make far fewer manufactured items any longer. In addition we are now a net importer of food, something we have not done in over 50 years. We are also dependent upon foreign energy sources which further makes our situation difficult.

In time we will be on an upswing and our economy will boom again and the tough times will fade like fog in the afternoon. There is some concern for a potential serious gloom and doom period but it won't last. America has a way of bouncing back, I'm not worried about the long term.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:27 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I don't think it will be as bad as the great depression. It will be a worse recession than 2001 for sure. I'm pretty sure there will be at least a recession. The stock market is slowly deflating as even overly optimistic investors are realizing the party is over.

I only hope the US doesn't learn all the wrong lessons from this. The US needs to invest in its future, and for too long, we haven't been doing that. Roads, schools, education, those things are all important. How many more bridge disasters do we need before we wake up? Nobody is going to invest in a country with a crumbling infrastructure and semi-literate children.
Who is going to pay for all of this and where does the money come from? It's not an endless credit card. Yikes. What I am reading here is very scary.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
It must be nice to be a Republican and have millions of dollars stuffed away and not give a **** about anything that happens in this country
Indeed, but I guarantee the OP is not one of them nor anyone else in this thread. That is why I am astounded at the level of "oh........it'll be ok......" I read in this thread.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:31 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Philip has it nailed...

Thanks, Philip. Very well put.

Edit: My only question is what to do...hunker down with what I have miserably for the next few years, or say screw it and just live for today. I'm serious. The way it's going and if it keeps going this way, it will only be a matter of time and, even then, not much of it.
You are correct -- regarding the slow crash v. the fast crash aspect being a matter of time. My sort of joke version is that the crash is slow until the your feet start to get wet from the water reachnig your particular deck -- then everything seems to move very fast.

Overall it comes down to our oil addiction and that we have decided to attempt to start home-invasion robberies of other countries rather than curb it. The oil addiction is where our money is all going. Trade-wise, Govt-wise, Military-wise. And of course moral bankruptcy, as well.

This pretty typiical of our fellow American @ssholes that are going to drive the boat to the bottom -- from a thread here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/busin...ml#post2043691

===============================

Posted by XXXX

"Actually, we are in the market for a Motorhome to expand our road trips.

We live in a somewhat "rural" area and my daily commute to my office is about 90 miles -

Neither of the above is going to change . . . "

Total case of All-About-ME baby boomer brats ready to rip off the world for self-service.

As far as what we at large -- the companions of fools as it (from the proverb cautioning -- Even the companions of fools suffer harm) -- how do we mitigate and minimize harm these fools will bring US?

I cannot speak for anyone other than me -- our path is by growing surplus food, preparing surplus materials and creating surplus renewable energy, that we may have a "lifeboat" and provide for others, as we may.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:37 PM

Ah, Philip, I am a baby boomer, but I see clearly. Perhaps having the past I remember (the former America) helps me in some way. Again, I don't know why I care. Let all the others in this thread who no doubt will pay more for this than I will give a damn. Still, my blood pressure just rises and I think I'm going to have a stroke when I read some of the nonchalance in this thread. Ok, now I shall take a break and read that thread you linked to. thanks.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:38 PM

397 posts, read 264,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
You are correct -- regarding the slow crash v. the fast crash aspect being a matter of time. My sort of joke version is that the crash is slow until the your feet start to get wet from the water reachnig your particular deck -- then everything seems to move very fast.

Overall it comes down to our oil addiction and that we have decided to attempt to start home-invasion robberies of other countries rather than curb it. The oil addiction is where our money is all going. Trade-wise, Govt-wise, Military-wise. And of course moral bankruptcy, as well.

This pretty typiical of our fellow American @ssholes that are going to drive the boat to the bottom -- from a thread here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/busin...ml#post2043691

Posted by XXXX

"Actually, we are in the market for a Motorhome to expand our road trips.

We live in a somewhat "rural" area and my daily commute to my office is about 90 miles -

Neither of the above is going to change . . . "

Total case of All-About-ME baby boomer brats ready to rip off the world for self-service.

ha yea that person is typical of the Republican I am talking about, I had a few run in's with them today, I actually read in another post that that person admitted to making over $300,000 a year and they dont think thats alot of money

Old 11-19-2007, 11:44 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
Ah, Philip, I am a baby boomer, but I see clearly. Perhaps having the past I remember (the former America) helps me in some way. Again, I don't know why I care. Let all the others in this thread who no doubt will pay more for this than I will give a damn. Still, my blood pressure just rises and I think I'm going to have a stroke when I read some of the nonchalance in this thread. Ok, now I shall take a break and read that thread you linked to. thanks.
America has survived a civil war, two world wars, numerous conflicts, political scandals, environmental disasters, natural disasters, biological disasters, economic disasters, and a plethora of various other doomsday scenarios and we have endured, as we will through these tough times.

It is usually during the tough times in which people give serious thoughts to their actions, responsibilities, and duties which often lead to positive change.

While some folks see America as a piece of china that has fallen off a shelf and shattered into a million pieces, I see America as a flat tire on a car. While a major pain in the arse and a serious set back, it can be patched and tomorrow the sun will rise.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
As far as what we at large -- the companions of fools as it (from the proverb cautioning -- Even the companions of fools suffer harm) -- how do we mitigate and minimize harm these fools will bring US?

I cannot speak for anyone other than me -- our path is by growing surplus food, preparing surplus materials and creating surplus renewable energy, that we may have a "lifeboat" and provide for others, as we may.
Well, I read a part of that thread. Sort of made me angry. I gather the reason anyone cares about conservation, if at all, is because of money. Nevermind the fact of what is going on overseas in the name of democracy (a total farce but at least someone else's kid dies, not mine), is about oil and that's it.

I don't want to derail, but I must say it's awfully kind of you to be willing to even think of providing a lifeboat for others. You are enlightened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies