Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:55 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
America has survived a civil war, two world wars, numerous conflicts, political scandals, environmental disasters, natural disasters, biological disasters, economic disasters, and a plethora of various other doomsday scenarios and we have endured, as we will through these tough times.

It is usually during the tough times in which people give serious thoughts to their actions, responsibilities, and duties which often lead to positive change.

While some folks see America as a piece of china that has fallen off a shelf and shattered into a million pieces, I see America as a flat tire on a car. While a major pain in the arse and a serious set back, it can be patched and tomorrow the sun will rise.
Well, age brings with it wisdom. If you're older than me I'll consider this. If not, I won't.

My father (who is 92) is the only person who could say this sort of thing and get away with it, so I won't take it seriously from you, no offense.

Times have changed and are different. The types of challenges we face today are different. Hell, even people are different. And this is the most diobolical administration ever, so you'll forgive me if I don't agree with your take on things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 12:17 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, I read a part of that thread. Sort of made me angry. I gather the reason anyone cares about conservation, if at all, is because of money. Nevermind the fact of what is going on overseas in the name of democracy (a total farce but at least someone else's kid dies, not mine), is about oil and that's it.

I don't want to derail, but I must say it's awfully kind of you to be willing to even think of providing a lifeboat for others. You are enlightened.
Hey, I did not mean to dog you or anyone in particular about the Boomer part. Just the All About ME brat stuff. A small segment, but culturally poison. As far as I know by the numbers I am on the tail of the boomers, but tend to clock slower.

While I know some folks make a contrast between Bill Clinton and George Bush, to me in terms of their selfishness and all-about-me routines, they could be twins and archtypes of the condition.

While we are confessing biases, my perspective of what-is-next is from that I am an Energy Sector engineer -- and we all tend to see the world as we are; not as it is. But what I see is that energy is money is oil is the war is the lie.

The top dogs know what is going down, too. That was why the 2001 Cheney Energy Task Force had only one main topic -- Iraq. If you are not familar with Peak Oil, here is a primer >>>

Peak Oil: Life After the Oil Crash (http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/ - broken link)

While that covers the topic with a reasonable worse case future, I do not live in a worse case mind. That site's forum tends to cover the day-after from a survivalist mindset, but while you may call it my wider approach enlighted, I just see it as a further rejection of that Clinton=Bush selfishness discussed above.

We can make a better today and tomorrow -- and as Les Brown got famous saying -- [but] If it is to be it is up to me. And You, too.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:29 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Well, age brings with it wisdom. If you're older than me I'll consider this. If not, I won't.

My father (who is 92) is the only person who could say this sort of thing and get away with it, so I won't take it seriously from you, no offense.

Times have changed and are different. The types of challenges we face today are different. Hell, even people are different. And this is the most diobolical administration ever, so you'll forgive me if I don't agree with your take on things.
Well I am just a dumb ole hillbilly who don't know much anyway, regardless of how old or young I am. My words have no weight, my experiences no value, and I don't take any offense in your difference of view. I am but another voice of opinion in a chorus of voices, all with their own points of view. Since I am clearly not your 92 year old and most wise father and my perspective will never hold any value as you say, then further discussion with anyone who is either younger or of a differing opinion is rather pointless and makes one wonder if you are here to discuss or merely make statements?

If things are so bad and going the world is about to end, please by all means, let me ease your burden and allow me to have all of your money and possessions to facilitate your travels into the inevitable doomsday you foresee. I have broad shoulders and am willing to accept this difficult burden on behalf of my fellow man as I fear little.

Wisdom does not merely come from age, a great deal of it comes from experience and experience is something gained by making mistakes and taking risks. There are plenty of old fools living among us just as there are those who have lived the life experiences of two men, I presume not to make such judgments based upon a single post on a forum but you are welcome to.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:31 AM

Thanks, Philip. From what I read you are an engineer with opinions on energy? Well, you would know I guess. I didn't take your boomer comment as a diss. I, too, am on the tail end, but I do view this as a real opportunity to see the America That Was, before it changed.

I get so frustrated, which I know isn't conducive to change. At any rate, I am familiar with peak oil, to an extent, but will also read that link.

I'm glad you're positive. Maybe if enough people decide they want the red pill, things will go better.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well I am just a dumb ole hillbilly who don't know much anyway, regardless of how old or young I am. My words have no weight, my experiences no value, and I don't take any offense in your difference of view. I am but another voice of opinion in a chorus of voices, all with their own points of view. Since I am clearly not your 92 year old and most wise father and my perspective will never hold any value as you say, then further discussion with anyone who is either younger or of a differing opinion is rather pointless and makes one wonder if you are here to discuss or merely make statements?

If things are so bad and going the world is about to end, please by all means, let me ease your burden and allow me to have all of your money and possessions to facilitate your travels into the inevitable doomsday you foresee. I have broad shoulders and am willing to accept this difficult burden on behalf of my fellow man as I fear little.

Wisdom does not merely come from age, a great deal of it comes from experience and experience is something gained by making mistakes and taking risks. There are plenty of old fools living among us just as there are those who have lived the life experiences of two men, I presume not to make such judgments based upon a single post on a forum but you are welcome to.
Whoa, issue. You are the one who said hillbilly and went on and on. I won't even bother to read the rest. Age does bring wisdom, whether you believe it or not. It's not what I base my information on (or at least soley, I do use my intuition, which is why I will cut this short), yet I do know it makes a real difference in my life. And now you should figure the shorter my response, the less I was led to read your most uncomfortable defense of who you are. Hostility is always a clue I should cut things short. Your issue.

Last edited by movin'on; 11-20-2007 at 12:43 AM..

Old 11-20-2007, 12:50 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Pardon, but that was wry humor and sarcasm more than my trying to define myself, but thanks for the chuckle anyway

When you state in the first line of your response that people younger than you don't matter, it begs one to wonder why you bother as I suspect many here won't matter. I happen to disagree and found a few younger folks around here with their heads on pretty square and they have thoughtful things to say whether I agree or not. I have also seen a fair amount of ignorance from a couple of old coots too, but this matters not to me as what does matter is the quality of content in the post regardless of age, race, or beliefs.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:44 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,430,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I have heard many people talk about how 2008 is going to be as bad as, if not worse than 1929. Is the economy really that bad? Is it time to panic?
I wouldn't panic just yet.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:44 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Angry Wisdow?

Quote:

While I agree with alot of what you have said on this tread so far. I stopping this BS comment HERE AND NOW! Age doesn't provide wisdom. It's EXPERIENCE that provides wisdom. And you don't got to be that old to get it. I grew up poor and I learned my lessons at a young age on what money is, how it works and how to stay out of trouble with it. I know plenty of X'ers (like me) who saw this disaster coming and have/are trying to prepare for the fall. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE OLD TO BE WISE, PERIOD!

BTW who do you think caused most of the problems in the economy. Xers? There's not enough of us to do this much damage. Gen Y? don't think so. So who left? Your Gen in their ecomomic "Wisdom" has sunk this country. You guys ain't all that wise as it turns out. So why don't you sit back and listen to EVERYONE and not just ignore information just because someone is younger than you.

Nuff said.
Baystater

Last edited by baystater; 11-20-2007 at 08:53 AM..

Old 11-20-2007, 11:18 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,247 times
Quote:
Who is going to pay for all of this and where does the money come from? It's not an endless credit card. Yikes. What I am reading here is very scary.
A little deficit spending won't kill the country. In fact Keynesian economics would say a recession is the perfect time to invest in the country's future, when things are cheaper and the need for government stimulus is greater. Korea is a great example of this. In the 90's they suffered under the Asian economic crisis, but they reinvented their country setting it on a course to be a high-tech economy.

This could work for the US too. I only hope that Americans don't demand the government tighten their belts too much, in the wrong ways. The US needs far more than just a "makeover", there needs to be improvements in the infrastructures that keeps a country strong. This doesn't come cheap. It is an investment in the future.

Two big weaknesses I see in the US, two challenges are the roads/transportation, and education. The US needs a much more educated workforce than what it has today to attract investment and good jobs. Also, we are too dependent on oil. Of course it doesn't help we have N. Carolina Congressman McHenry lampooning the fact that Democrats proposed spending a million dollars on community bicycling projects as part of their energy plan (note to Rep. McHenry, "yes, bicycles were invented in the 19th century... so were cars."). Totally counter-productive. The US needs more imagination. We don't all have to commute to work in SUV's, with the right technology we could commute to work on mass transit, bicycles, motorcycles and scooters, even electric cars or velomobiles.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:07 PM

394 posts, read 1,007,215 times
Quote:
Yes, thanks to the Neocons and every retarded Bush supporter, we now enjoy a ride on the bullet train as it crashes into the brick wall. At least with a Democrat in office, it could have been a slow locomotive disaster.
democrat, republican it doesn't matter. they're both incompetent, corrupt parties that have been in power far too long!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies