Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 12:46 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,874 times

Advertisements

Why shouldn't workers have the right to band together and protect their interests? How does that violate any principle of economic freedom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 12:54 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Why shouldn't workers have the right to band together and protect their interests? How does that violate any principle of economic freedom?
If unions were voluntary, I'd have no problem with them. However, in many places you are forced to join the union in order to get a job in the field in which you wish to work. I don't feel that being forced to do anything in order to obtain a job is a good thing.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
If unions were voluntary, I'd have no problem with them. However, in many places you are forced to join the union in order to get a job in the field in which you wish to work. I don't feel that being forced to do anything in order to obtain a job is a good thing.
So? You're "forced" to do a lot in things in order to get and hold a job. I can think of a lot worse things a corp could force you to do than join a union.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:00 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
So? You're "forced" to do a lot in things in order to get and hold a job. I can think of a lot worse things a corp could force you to do than join a union.
Name three things you're forced to do by a third party in order to obtain a job. A corporation does not force you to join a union, the union does.

Note: Don't bother trying to claim that licensing, education, and certifications are forced upon you. These are voluntary things that you knowingly obtain.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:00 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,755,703 times
Quote:
unions are forced on employees. that is the number 1 problem people have with them. once they force you to join, they start trying to influence your votes.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Name three things you're forced to do by a third party in order to obtain a job. A corporation does not force you to join a union, the union does.

Note: Don't bother trying to claim that licensing, education, and certifications are forced upon you. These are voluntary things that you knowingly obtain.
Um, if you want a career that actually pays enough to raise a family (and there can only be so many plumbers and electricians) you are indeed, "forced" to obtain an expensive college education.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:08 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,755,703 times
Quote:
Um, if you want a career that actually pays enough to raise a family (and there can only be so many plumbers and electricians) you are indeed, "forced" to obtain an expensive college education.
so you are for rewarding the worthless parasites? giving lifetime burger flippers a good salary and benefits? I'd quit my job if burger flippers got their wishes.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:13 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,056,444 times
I was in the IBEW (electrical union) for 6 years in California.

Being in a construction union is like being part of a street gang.

If your one of them, your a good ol' boy / homie. If your not part of them, your a "scab".

I was in their good graces until I opted to change careers and pulled my pension in October of 2007 (great unintended timing there as we all know where the markets went from there ).

To say the phone calls I received were "cold" would be an understatement.

Add to the above the fact that they would mail each member lists of the Democratic candidates for each election that they "recommended" you vote for and you have plenty of reasons to see why I don't approve of unions.

I saw a guy the other day with a pipe fitters union shirt with skulls and an American flag that said "Born American, Union till' I die". I said to myself "that union very well might not be there before you die buddy... better not rely on the gang. They will let you down."

Old 10-27-2013, 01:20 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Wow, where to begin.

You do not ask if people think unions are good or bad as that would be a different conversation with some +'s and plenty of -'s.

Instead you ask why free market fans hate them. The answer is simple and self evident. Unions artificially inflate wages a company pays, and reduces workloads. In a vacuum one might say the company is paying what the market could bear.
However in the real world and global economy, a company must compete with other businesses down the road, out of state, and around the world. If people in a foreign country do not have the same standard of living they do in the place where the company produces it's widgets, they are at a competitive disadvantage.
Now, that same company would not expect their employees to work for $40 a month, but they also cannot compete with having to pay their union workers $40 and hour.
Furthermore, unions will sometimes put a company under rather than make serious concessions to keep it in business.

One need look no further than Eastern Airlines to see how unions will cut off their nose to spite their face. A more recent example is Penn Tennis. They were the last company to make tennis balls in America, and I supported them as a result. Yet when they pointed out to the employees they could not remain competitive with Wilson, Dunlop, etc. unless their employees took a modest pay cut, it fell on deaf ears. Now of course Penn manufactures their balls overseas, and the former employees are out of a job.

So it is pretty easy to see why "free market" people do not care for unions.

`

Old 10-27-2013, 02:05 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
A college degree is a radically different requirement than joining a club, isn't it? Being forced to join a union, and paying dues, is being forced to accept their business practices, many of which you might not agree with. Maybe you think it is OK to be passed over for a promotion because you are too young. The guy with more seniority, who drinks on the job, instead gets the job you should have.

That's an example of why free market fans dislike many unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies