Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 01:38 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
More than that, it creates an incentive to opt out. You don't have to pay dues but get the same gains that the union won. "Right to work," are just laws that are designed to kill unions and take away their funding.
Nonsense. We should have freedom of association, and RTW protects that. Join voluntarily if you wish, opt not to if you wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 01:41 PM

8,628 posts, read 9,132,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
I was in the IBEW (electrical union) for 6 years in California.

Being in a construction union is like being part of a street gang.

If your one of them, your a good ol' boy / homie. If your not part of them, your a "scab".

I was in their good graces until I opted to change careers and pulled my pension in October of 2007 (great unintended timing there as we all know where the markets went from there ).

To say the phone calls I received were "cold" would be an understatement.

Add to the above the fact that they would mail each member lists of the Democratic candidates for each election that they "recommended" you vote for and you have plenty of reasons to see why I don't approve of unions.

I saw a guy the other day with a pipe fitters union shirt with skulls and an American flag that said "Born American, Union till' I die". I said to myself "that union very well might not be there before you die buddy... better not rely on the gang. They will let you down."
Of course the union is going to recommend a democratic candidate. Why the hell would they support a republican? I've worked in the private non-union sector for decades. Many times the employer himself recommended republican candidates to all employees. Anyone can recommend any candidate until they are blue in the face. Voting is private, you can vote for whom ever you want. So what is your real complaint about your former union?

Old 10-28-2013, 01:53 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Uhh....No, they are not. Those union members work for the company

I give up. I guess some people are just not capable of understanding simple concepts.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I'm saying your wish goes too far towards suppressing an employee's right to join a union if he/she wishes.
You didn't answer my question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Just answer this: If an employee is conspiring to commit an act that will harm my business, why shouldn't I be legally allowed to terminate them for it?

Old 10-28-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
You didn't answer my question.
Talking to a union rep is not the same as conspiring to harm a company.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
OSHA? federal safety standards? labor laws? You really think those aren't next on the hit list once the unions are gone?
Do you understand how the legislative process works?

I don't think you do.

Quote:
And those lawyers working pro bono won't be any help if they don't have a case
Who said anything about pro bono? I said that they work on contingency.

I don't think you have any idea about what you're discussing. I'm not going to waste any more time with you on this. If you don't understand the topic, you should probably stay out of the discussion.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Union contracts are mutually agreed. If the rules are killing business, why does management agree to the contract?
Is that a serious question?

"Sign this, or we'll strike and cost you hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars, and maybe even put you out of business."

It's extortion, plain and simple.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:05 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times
Quote:
They are voluntary. The workers take a vote and if they vote to have a union then they have a union
And what about those workers who vote against unionizing? It's involuntary for them, as well as for anyone who gets hired after the union is in place.

Quote:
So working for **** is better then being "forced" to join something that's going to make sure you make more. And why the hell does it have to be a "third party" to count? Unions aren't a third party anyway. Those union members are part of the company. They work there (or does being part of the company only apply when it's going under?)
Really? So, the people who run the Teamsters union all work at every company which employs members of the Teamsters? Hate to tell you this, but James P. Hoffa doesn't make nearly $400,000 by driving a truck or working on a loading dock.

Unions are, indeed, a third party which take up space between the employees and the employer. And yes, at this point they are taking up space. They protect workers who are incompetent and/or unwilling to do their job, they "encourage" their members to toe the Democrat party line, and they muddy elections all across this country. For a shining example of incompetent people keeping their jobs because of unions, take a look at our public education system. Even your local elementary school probably has a few teachers who should have been fired years ago but weren't because of their union status.

Quote:
So working for **** is better then being "forced" to join something that's going to make sure you make more.
No doubt, in many cases you will make more for a while by working in a union shop. However, when paying those union wages becomes too costly and the company decides to move, close, or sell - behavior which we have seen over and over again - that union membership doesn't look so good anymore, does it?

Old 10-28-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Talking to a union rep is not the same as conspiring to harm a company.
If you're talking to them about unionizing a business, it is.

It's a yes or no question, Bob.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Is that a serious question?

"Sign this, or we'll strike and cost you hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars, and maybe even put you out of business."

It's extortion, plain and simple.

Odd, Kohler, Harley Davidson, Mercury Marine, Ford (Fusion plant is $14/hr labor) ,and dozens of smaller firms told unions the same thing in reverse..sign this contract with large concessions, or we will leave the state.

Your quote above is from a time warp..circa AFL-CIO 1973, it was accurate, but not in 2013.

Find a large employer with a union, you will find a two tier contract. Tier II is precisely what non union shops nearby pay. It is sustainable for both employer and employee. It is usually 40%+ below Tier I, which was not sustainable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies