Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 12:38 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,099,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Unions aren't a third party anyway.
Uhh.... yes, they are. They are corporations, separate from the employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 12:38 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
unions are forced on employees. that is the number 1 problem people have with them. once they force you to join, they start trying to influence your votes.
Yes, they force you to join so they can work to make sure you get decent pay and benefits. They also try to influence your vote and try to talk you out of voting for people like Newt Gingrich who when he ran for President his big idea was to take jobs away from people. Or Romney who claims you're a moocher who thinks the government owes you a living.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Uhh.... yes, they are. They are corporations, separate from the employer.
Uhh....No, they are not. Those union members work for the company

Old 10-28-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Mary and Jane work next to each other on an assembly line. Mary has been there 5 years longer than Jane and earns $2 more an hour than Jane. Jane is a superior worker. Where is Jane's economic freedom under union rules?
Ok then, let's take away the union. Now both Mary and Jane are earning **** with Jane earning slightly more then Mary. Plus with no union they can be fired at any time for any reason or even for no reason at all. How does Jane like her economic freedom now?

Old 10-28-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Why does RTW scare pro union folks? If you have such a great product, surely you can sell it in RTW regions as well.

Are you ****ing serious?? You do know that under RTW you have zero job security

Old 10-28-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
There are still labor unions in this country? Wow, I thought they all died off as being irrelevant and proven to be ineffective and uneconomic to a company's long-term viability.
It's not all about the company. The workers working for free would really help the company. Does that mean the workers are evil for taking a paycheck?

Old 10-28-2013, 12:51 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
WTF are you talking about?

I'm not sure what elections, or voting in Mississippi have to do with anything. This thread is about unions. Not sure how you got from A to B there, Bob.

Let's start again, because you simply weren't making any sense.
I'm saying your wish goes too far towards suppressing an employee's right to join a union if he/she wishes.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:52 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Are you ****ing serious?? You do know that under RTW you have zero job security
Not different than closed shop. At will exists in both, and that premise is why you have no job security, not RTW or closed shop. At will.

All states are AT WILL.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
For the exact same reason we hate the American Federation of Dairy Farmers, and the American Hospital Association.

Any entity that interferes in the Market by driving up costs is bad for the Market, bad for you, and bad for everyone else.

And what exactly are your interests?

Do you understand this.....

Long Wang in Vietnam earns $1.35/hour operating his Japanese-made Nissei plastic injection molding machine that produces 12 plastic kitchen gadgets per hour.

Hi Chin in China earns $1.45/hour operating his Japanese-made Nissei plastic injection molding machine that produces 12 plastic kitchen gadgets per hour.

Batalog in the Philippines earns $1.60/hour operating his Japanese-made Nissei plastic injection molding machine that produces 12 plastic kitchen gadgets per hour.

Cosmin in Romania earns $2.85/hour operating his Japanese-made Nissei plastic injection molding machine that produces 12 plastic kitchen gadgets per hour.

Fat Union Fred in the US earns $30/hour operating his Japanese-made Nissei plastic injection molding machine that produces 12 plastic kitchen gadgets per hour.

...because if you do understand, then should you go on strike to demand more money?

The reason I ask is because union workers are not sophisticated enough, not intelligent enough and not knowledgeable enough to know what exactly their interests are.

How'd that work out for Zenith employees? Uh, wait....former Zenith employees....who are now working at McDonald's and Wal-Mart.....

...because they thought they were sophisticated and intelligent.

Union wages are way above Free Market rates, and worse than that, exceed the Market rate wages in other countries that have industries competing against them.

If you --- as a Zenith employee --- cannot compete globally against South Korean-based electronics corporation Life's Good (LG), then the sophisticated, intelligent and knowledgeable union employee looks out of his best interest by having the union reduce wages and reduce or eliminate benefits, in addition to taking actions that eliminate useless union-created jobs so that you can compete globally.

Because you restrict my economic freedoms and personal freedoms by coercing me to be a union member.

Why should I get paid union wages of $25/hour when I can go non-union and earn more money?

Suppose someone is covered under their spouse's health plan.....why should they throw away money because the union forces them into a benefit plan?

If the employer is paying $390 per month in health benefits for union members, then why shouldn't I be able to put that $390 in my pocket instead of getting an health benefit that I neither need nor want?

I cannot.....because unions violate economic freedoms.

That's why....

Mircea
So they should be working for $1.35 an hour to compete with China? That would be $54 a week. I'm sure the cons who hate working people would love that. And what if we also put into effect that other great rightwing idea of everybody paying 15% income tax. That would reduce the worker's take home pay to $46 a week. And they'd only earn that until somebody decided we should take Newt Gingrich's advice and fire them because kids can do it cheaper

Old 10-28-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You also have people who only have experiences from 1 union and think ALL non-union work is no good, bad benefits, etc.

They will NOT accept any other opinion and resort to juvenile name calling.

If unions are so good, why have they been drastically declining over the past 40 some years?
Because they have been attacked over and over and over and over again by the rightwing that cares only about the rich. Corporations can give as much money as they want to their candidates but unions can't give a dime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies