Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 01:04 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,436,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
We now have OSHA, federal safety standards, labor laws, and an entire industry of attorneys who will work on contingency if you feel that your employer has slighted you in any way. The protections that the unions fought for are now in place. They have rendered themselves virtually obsolete.

For example, if a union wants to try and organize your employees, you can do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to dissuade your employees from joining. They can hammer your employees 24/7 until they agree to sign up, but you can't put the same effort into talking them out of it.

The government handcuffs the employer when it comes to unions. There is very little that an employer can do in reaction to an attempted union takeover. That's wrong. The terms of employment between myself and an employee is just that - between myself and an employee, and if they want to talk to a union rep while off the clock, that's fine, but I should have the freedom to terminate them if I find out about it. As it stands now, I wouldn't be able to do that. That is pretty ridiculous.
That makes as much sense as saying we don't need our guns because we already have our freedom

OSHA? federal safety standards? labor laws? You really think those aren't next on the hit list once the unions are gone? And those lawyers working pro bono won't be any help if they don't have a case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 01:07 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,436,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Did you forget the truckers featherbedding, not allowing 2 products on ONE truck per the contract?

Hostess had NO innocent people. All 18,000 sank the ship.
Did those truckers get hundreds of millions of dollars in bonuses and pay raises?

Old 10-28-2013, 01:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,912,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
It's because we DO need unions. I'm not saying unions are perfect but you're vastly underestimating the rights they have won for you. The right wing obviously loves investors and NOT workers.
rubbish. both of my grandfathers were union, so i know what the unions have done for the country, but that is in the past. what they are doing today is killing business with hardline work rules, and forcing employers to keep lazy non working employees on the payroll. the union membership also tends to vote against their own interests. by that i mean when the union membership is presented with a contract that the union leadership admits will cause job losses, the membership votes for the contract anyway, and then they grumble that jobs were lost, EVEN THOUGH they were told that would happen. the conservatives like FREEDOM. we dont mind private sector unions, as long as they dont kill business, but public sector unions need to be abolished.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:25 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,000,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Did those truckers get hundreds of millions of dollars in bonuses and pay raises?
Thousands of truckers cumulatively got the same amount in excess pay. A shameless example of union feather bedding. They deserved to lose their jobs.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:27 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,489,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
If unions were voluntary, I'd have no problem with them. However, in many places you are forced to join the union in order to get a job in the field in which you wish to work. I don't feel that being forced to do anything in order to obtain a job is a good thing.
But it doesn't work if allow you people to opt out. If union membership is voluntary, then employers can cut side deals--i.e. basically bribe--with individual workers to undercut the union's position. Letting some people not join the union means the people who do want to join lose that right.

I think part of the problem is so many Americans are extreme individualists, and have a hard time grasping the ideas of solidarity and collective action. The idea of working together with others to achieve the best for everyone is just something most Americans do not understand very well.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:28 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,289,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
There used to be clauses that stated if an employee died on the job, the company could withhold any pay due to the family. Those are the times when we needed unions. We do not need them today. Having a good, quality work environment is a competitive advantage today to the point where unions are not needed.
That must be why fast-food workers are striking for more pay; the quality work environment with a competitive advantage.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:28 PM

23,610 posts, read 17,297,165 times
If you have ever worked in a business with a union you'd know why the dislike.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:34 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,979,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Look, we do not live in Communist China where workers are locked into sweat shops, and housed on the company property. If a worker/s feel "exploited", they are free to leave and get another job.

Now if you are talking about the old days where safety was not a concern for business, then I would agree that unions were helpful in turning the tide. However in todays economy, unions can be the death knell to American companies.
That has always been the excuse for low pay and poor working conditions -- just leave. In the real world it is difficult to just leave (or fire your insurance company) especially if you aren't young.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
But it doesn't work if allow you people to opt out. If union membership is voluntary, then employers can cut side deals--i.e. basically bribe--with individual workers to undercut the union's position. Letting some people not join the union means the people who do want to join lose that right.

I think part of the problem is so many Americans are extreme individualists, and have a hard time grasping the ideas of solidarity and collective action. The idea of working together with others to achieve the best for everyone is just something most Americans do not understand very well.
More than that, it creates an incentive to opt out. You don't have to pay dues but get the same gains that the union won. "Right to work," are just laws that are designed to kill unions and take away their funding.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
rubbish. both of my grandfathers were union, so i know what the unions have done for the country, but that is in the past. what they are doing today is killing business with hardline work rules, and forcing employers to keep lazy non working employees on the payroll. the union membership also tends to vote against their own interests. by that i mean when the union membership is presented with a contract that the union leadership admits will cause job losses, the membership votes for the contract anyway, and then they grumble that jobs were lost, EVEN THOUGH they were told that would happen. the conservatives like FREEDOM. we dont mind private sector unions, as long as they dont kill business, but public sector unions need to be abolished.
Union contracts are mutually agreed. If the rules are killing business, why does management agree to the contract?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies