Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 01:07 PM

904 posts, read 688,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
You don't have to go with ACA. Get a health insurance policy and bypass ACA if you wish.

You might. Ask the insurance company why they didn't grandfather the policy. They did have that choice.
Yes, and then they would pay a fine or have it taken from them from the ever so noble IRS thugs.

Which btw, goes up every year until it is thousands of dollars.

Any wonder it was all timed around elections?

The people will be pissed when they find out how bad this really is....oh wait.. this is Amerika..

They'll just take it in the Obama....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 01:08 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,732,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
My daughter had her tumor taken out last year and I am one of those that got cancelled. Desperately trying to find a policy where she can go to all of her providers. It's SO important, as you know. Her tumor was extremely rare and there are literally only a handful of doctors in the country that could take on her care. So far, the pickings are very, very slim and I can't find a policy where I can go to all of her providers. Either way, I'm looking at around a $400+ per month increase in premium cost. I would even be happy with a high deductible plan, since I do have the means to pay, if it covered her doctors. No dice there either.

While the increased cost is an issue, for me, the worst part is the extremely narrow networks Obamacare has caused. The reimbursement rates, as dictated by Obamacare, is what's causing this.
This post made me tear up. I am so, so sorry for you. You will be in my prayers. I can't imagine.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:09 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
You don't have to go with ACA. Get a health insurance policy and bypass ACA if you wish.

You might. Ask the insurance company why they didn't grandfather the policy. They did have that choice.
I know you and I went into this in another thread, but I promise you, it's not that easy. The non-exchange policies still must follow the same ACA rules. They are extremely limited now compared to what they were before and in some cases, there is only one insurer to choose from since, with the advent of Obamacare, policies are down to the county level and not just state. I should have four companies to choose from (non-exchange) but in my county, there's one. Yep, besides the exchange plans, I get a whopping choice of one. Trying to find out if I can buy supplemental or something because my insurance choices STINK now.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:12 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I gotta love this argument.....those are self induced...

And what is a "junk" plan to you?

Who are you to decide what plan is right for me. What you consider junk, I consider acceptable?
It's not me who considered them junk. Looks like the insurance company did. They could have grandfathered them but didn't. Ask them.

What do you mean self induced? People (including doctors) do move, retire, die, switch jobs, change insurance plans. Pretty common occupancies,

Old 11-04-2013, 01:15 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
I asked this before, did those special tax breaks just start, this year? Doubtful....
No the tax breaks aren't new, they just made it more difficult to compete. The Blues control 80% of the individual market in CA. United only had 8,000 individual policies in CA.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:23 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
It's not me who considered them junk. Looks like the insurance company did. They could have grandfathered them but didn't. Ask them.

What do you mean self induced? People (including doctors) do move, retire, die, switch jobs, change insurance plans. Pretty common occupancies,
Dr. retireing = selfinduced
Dr. moving = self induced
Dr. Dying...well, maybe...
Dr. Changing plans....I have not heard of a lot of Drs doing this, can you provide links to Drs that are doing this?

The above is self induced, as oppossed to, you will do this....there is a difference...

Old 11-04-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I know you and I went into this in another thread, but I promise you, it's not that easy. The non-exchange policies still must follow the same ACA rules. They are extremely limited now compared to what they were before and in some cases, there is only one insurer to choose from since, with the advent of Obamacare, policies are down to the county level and not just state. I should have four companies to choose from (non-exchange) but in my county, there's one. Yep, besides the exchange plans, I get a whopping choice of one. Trying to find out if I can buy supplemental or something because my insurance choices STINK now.
You do live in South Carolina. And I do agree that is a problem. I wouldn't say that SC if the most progressive state going. Probably the worst going in that category. I do like Charleston as a city though. In fact, my daughter went to college there ( for the first two years - COC).

I have no idea about the choices you are being offered there. I did look at the plans offered there. The prices didn't seem very high (to me), even the gold plan. But I don't know anything about the providers there nor specifically what's provided in those plans.

As far as HMOs are concerned they certainly are not liked in Charleston. I also looked at the Medicare Advantage plans offered there (which are HMOs) and their ratings are very poor. As far as ACA is concerned it definitely seems that HMOs are the de facto standard and likewise, will predominate thru the country. Perhaps SC might have to decide to enter into the current century (ie, put idiotic politics aside)?

Old 11-04-2013, 01:30 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
The only reason why someone would lose their doctor is if that doctor stops contracting with that persons insurance. This type of thing happens all the time and always has.
Did you even read the OP?

She "lost her doctor" because the insurance coverage area available through the Obamacare exchange in California is through a small EPO network, not because "her doctor stopped contracting" with her insurance.

When might we find an intelligent liberal with reading comprehension skills on this forum??

Ever????

Old 11-04-2013, 01:33 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Well it should be pointed out that nowhere in the article does it say that United Health pulled out of California because of the federal healthcare law. As such, the guy really hasn't made a point.
Get a ****ing grip. Why else would United Health pull out of the worlds 12th largest economy if it weren't for adverse affects of ACA? For schits and giggles? Because it likes watching profits go down the drain?

Old 11-04-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Dr. retireing = selfinduced
Dr. moving = self induced
Dr. Dying...well, maybe...
Dr. Changing plans....I have not heard of a lot of Drs doing this, can you provide links to Drs that are doing this?

The above is self induced, as oppossed to, you will do this....there is a difference...
Doctors in/out of plans happens. It is common. Lots of doctors (even hospitals) have refused some health insurance companies. And some insurance companies drop doctors. Especially in HMOs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies