Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:39 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Nothing would stop me from going in and try to save my child...

three shots from the tazer would
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 07:46 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
As a Dad your job is to die saving your family.
As a cop your job is to stop someone killing themselves.
From what I've read going back into the house would have been suicidal and futile.
The child would have died anyways, the father is alive, and both men can say they did their best.
Oh man, that guy is never going to be able to live with that. I'd rather die attempting to save my child than have him die with me doing nothing. What a nightmare!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:51 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,144,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I guess I don't get this whole story, because I don't care how much smoke or fire there is, I would NEVER leave my house in an emergency without my kids. I would die in there first.

He could have gone back in BEFORE the police arrived.

What is the rest of the story here?
I'm thinking the same thing... as a mother.. I would have never left the house either... Your child comes first... always....

Old 11-05-2013, 09:39 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I guess I don't get this whole story, because I don't care how much smoke or fire there is, I would NEVER leave my house in an emergency without my kids. I would die in there first.

He could have gone back in BEFORE the police arrived.

What is the rest of the story here?
I agree, there is more that I'd like to know. I'm assuming from where they were downstairs, their best exit was the back door. When outside they call 911, police arrive five minutes later. I'm going to assume dad thought they'd arrive and save his boy, but instead they wanted to wait for the firefighters, so the dad took it upon himself. That makes sense to me.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:40 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Where does it say he was arrested?
I believe it said he was handcuffed and put in the back of a police car. That sounds like an arrest to me.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:05 AM

30,259 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Here is what the story says:

Quote:
The original 911 call came in at 12:58 a.m. at 405 S. Main St. Firefighters arrived at the scene at 1:03 a.m.
And then:

Quote:
The parents were able to reach a rear door in the room and exit the building after after the smoke woke them from their sleep. They called 911, Jenne said.

The Millers ran around to the front of the building and Ryan Miller kicked in the front door as police and firefighters arrived.
Emphasis mine. They got out of the house, and called 911 at 12:58. The police and firefighters arrived at 1:03. That is five minutes. Why did it take him five minutes to decide to go back in and save his son? Why didn't they grab their son before they left?

I don't have kids, but I do have pets. And even with my pets I would try to get them all out before I exited the house if it was on fire. I would never just leave them there. That's PETS, not a child.

Sorry, but I agree with others, there's more to this story.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:15 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Ya probably more corruption on the police part!!! (Which we wont hear about )

Old 11-06-2013, 01:26 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
We don't know the degree of the fires involvement, we don't have a clue as to the state of mind of the father, was he making a rational or was he acting purely on emotions.
We also don't know the state of mind of the cop who assaulted the man trying to save his child's life.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Either way it would be the first time that police, or firefighters - hell or bystanders - have prevented someone from doing something totally reckless regardless of what the stakes might be.
The cop did not refrain from recklessly tazing the father, so your analysis is faulty.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Fire fighting training is key. Looking at the photo of the dwelling, that place was already a fire trap. Place like that means the fire spreads quickly. It also means the kid was probably already dead from the smoke. In fire, you must fight against your natural responses. If you don't have protective gear, don't go back in to try to rescue someone. With Navy engine room fire fighting training, they taught us if fighting a fire and you're backing out to the escape shaft, don't go if you see someone down. You'll just add another body for the fire fighting team to trip over. Once the fire spread, the structure is weakened and the father could have been killed by smoke, flames, and or second floor collapse.
This discussion isn't about whether it was safe to or even possible to re-enter the house and save the kid.

This thread is about the reckless and egregious actions of the cop who assaulted and arrested a man for entering his own home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies