Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 01:39 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The cop did not refrain from recklessly tazing the father, so your analysis is faulty.
My analysis faulty but yours with made up facts and supposition is truthful... got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 01:41 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
My analysis faulty but yours with made up facts and supposition is truthful... got it.
Harrier didn't make up anything - he simply criticized the cop for the reckless and egregious actions.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:44 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I guess I don't get this whole story, because I don't care how much smoke or fire there is, I would NEVER leave my house in an emergency without my kids.
I think folks have watched too many tv depictions of being inside a burning building where visibility is clear enough to see the actors slightest expression and you can pass by a burning wall with just your arm to shield your face.

but in the words of Paul Simon... "who am I to blow against the wind..." So please bash away at the parents, the police, the fire fighters and god all mighty if it makes you happy.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:46 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
So please bash away at the parents, the police, the fire fighters and god all mighty if it makes you happy.
How does stating that it is wrong to assault someone for attempting to enter their own home = "bashing"?

A false arrest and wrongful death suit against the PD ought to be in the works

Old 11-06-2013, 01:51 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:

State Fire Marshal Investigator Scott Stoneberger said that a firefighter in
full gear attempted to enter the home but the flames were too hot.
It is obvious to me that they did the right thing.

If they had allowed him to enter the home....that woman would be burying her son.....and her husband.

AND........people would be blaming the police for letting him go back into the house.....no doubt about that.

"Why didn't the police do something? Couldn't they tell he was going to die if he went back into that house? A fire fighter in full gear wouldn't even go into that house, but they let him go back into that house! How horrible! What is wrong with them! She should sue them for not stopping him!"

Old 11-06-2013, 09:56 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
This discussion isn't about whether it was safe to or even possible to re-enter the house and save the kid.

This thread is about the reckless and egregious actions of the cop who assaulted and arrested a man for entering his own home.
It is part of the same discussion. It explains why they stopped the father from entering the burning building.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I think folks have watched too many tv depictions of being inside a burning building where visibility is clear enough to see the actors slightest expression and you can pass by a burning wall with just your arm to shield your face.

but in the words of Paul Simon... "who am I to blow against the wind..." So please bash away at the parents, the police, the fire fighters and god all mighty if it makes you happy.
Exactly. I wish more people could have gone into the firefighting training simulator building. Even if you're wearing the air tanks and full face mask, you can't hardly see anything without the heat camera and even then, imperfectly. As for the kid, remember that smoke and toxic fumes from the burning synthetic materials rises and the kid was on the second floor. Children succumb to smoke and toxic fumes faster than adults. Another problem is if the fire has progressed to a certain point, the structure of a multi-storied building is greatly weakened and made so dangerous that professional firefighters will not enter the building. Safer for everyone to fight the fire from outside the building and the best they can hope for is to prevent the fire from spreading to other structures or vegetation. As to using the taser, it may have been necessary. Consider the adrenaline pumping through the father in his efforts to get to his son. The officer may have tried to restrain him and felt it necessary to tase him. With the adrenaline pumping, he was able to quickly recover from the initial tase and the officer felt he needed to do it two more times before they could get him in cuffs and into the police car.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:47 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep,
If I shall die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take. Amen.

Rest easy little guy.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:57 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Why did they leave the house before getting their son first.
Possibly his path was blocked and he was going to go another route outside, e.g window.

I've been in almost the exact same situation and you don't think right. Discovered a fire early in the morning, briefly tried to put it out before realizing it was hopeless. You have other people calling 911 and meanwhile every one else is graabing stuff and leaving. I get outside and where's the dog?

No one thought about the dog, still in the house. Had to run back in but the fire was still contained to one room at that point. I will say this, a fire can move incredibly fast and had it been a few minutes after that I probably would not have been able to get back into the house.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Possibly his path was blocked and he was going to go another route outside, e.g window.

I've been in almost the exact same situation and you don't think right. Discovered a fire early in the morning, briefly tried to put it out before realizing it was hopeless. You have other people calling 911 and meanwhile every one else is graabing stuff and leaving. I get outside and where's the dog?

No one thought about the dog, still in the house. Had to run back in but the fire was still contained to one room at that point. I will say this, a fire can move incredibly fast and had it been a few minutes after that I probably would not have been able to get back into the house.
Another possibility is they awoke to the smoke which means they've been inhaling the smoke and carbon monoxide for a while depriving their brain on oxygen. Reduced blood oxygen levels will result in confusion and forgetfulness. Saw this first hand with my father-in-law before he was put on oxygen machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies