Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:42 AM

53,380 posts, read 35,097,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
No names don't suck. People just suck. And this is just a sad story.
naming your kid adolf hitler is not the very definition of suck?

how strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:47 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,339,963 times
I understand. My parents gave me a "white girl" name for this reason. Whereas, my cousin who has a somewhat common name, where you can definitely tell that she is black.

There was a guy who was named Tyrone Anthony Something (obviously not his real last name). He wasn't getting call backs with "Tyrone A. Something" on his resume, so he changed it to "T. Anthony Something" and received 3 phone calls.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:49 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,052,775 times
Yep, poor Keisha/Kylie is going to get the message eventually when she realizes that it won't make a difference. Changing who you are and giving up your freedoms to make other folks feel comfortable with you never works. An a-hole is going to a-hole regardless. Instead of making fun of her name they will just find another thing to pick on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I have experienced this as well.

People always tell me "you sound different on the phone." When I show up. I kind of like having the name I do an having what I call an "excellent" phone voice. I don't know if it (my name) has given me any benefits in the job market, but I remember reading about a lady who changed the name on her resume and marked herself as "white" on monster.com and how she got a ton of call backs after she had been trying to get a job for months using her "black" name. That person didn't show up for the interviews. I would have and if they wouldn't have interviewed me I would have sued them because I'm just like that and wouldn't take that mess.

And like another poster mentioned, I don't even consider Keisha a "black name." I knew a white "Kisha" growing up, pronounced the same. I knew 2 white Chante's (one was spelled differently, but pronounced Shan-Tay). The most popular names in my era were Jennifer and Heather and I knew a ton of black and white Jenny's and Heather's. I was so happy I was not one of them. Amanda and Amber were popular too.

All of my brothers and sisters have rather traditional names due to being named after family members. FWIW, my grandmother's name was Florence and she hated it, she was named after her grandmother. I considered naming my daughter Florence, but didn't because my grandmother hated it so much lol. I know a lady now in her 60s who is named "Mamie" and she really hates it. She was named after her grandmother and considers it "an old lady's name." LOL even though she is nearly 70 years old.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:56 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,530,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Try again please. Certain names DO hold people back in life; why cripple those people when a good "anglo" name in the US is def better? Mexico: giving even a Mexican white kid there anything but a Spanish 1st name ain't smart.
It's attitudes like this that hold people back, not names. "anglo names?" What do you think that means?

Old 11-06-2013, 08:58 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,052,775 times
It means the only acceptable names are names like: Becky...Sue...Jim...Bob etc. If you don't have a name like that then people have the RIGHT to discriminate against you because you know Anglo names and Anglo people are naturally superior to everyone else on the planet.

That's what I got out of that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
It's attitudes like this that hold people back, not names. "anglo names?" What do you think that means?

Old 11-06-2013, 09:09 AM

Well my son doesn't have an anglo names, but I am very proud that he shares his name with thousands of men, and some women, from here to asia and africa. I would be heart broker if he changed it.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:18 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,481,012 times
I have a buddy that moved to Kansas City, he has a white wife and 3 biracial kids. He has told me at least two occasions of outright racism directed to him and/or his wife. Once they were out to eat, he got up to use the restroom and two white ladies went over to his wife. They proceeded to ask how she reproduced with a black guy and other offensive things. I think she was simply stunned into silence.

The other incident his neighbor went on some N-word rant after some dispute. I'll have to forward this to him. His oldest girl is starting school and they are deeply concerned about school quality. Since although the area they live in is diverse the quality of schools are low. They're thinking of moving to whiter area but they're concerned about these types of incidents.

Personally I think they should move back East, Kansas City doesn't sound like a great place to live for Black people.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I have a buddy that moved to Kansas City, he has a white wife and 3 biracial kids. He has told me at least two occasions of outright racism directed to him and/or his wife. Once they were out to eat, he got up to use the restroom and two white ladies went over to his wife. They proceeded to ask how she reproduced with a black guy and other offensive things. I think she was simply stunned into silence.

The other incident his neighbor went on some N-word rant after some dispute. I'll have to forward this to him. His oldest girl is starting school and they are deeply concerned about school quality. Since although the area they live in is diverse the quality of schools are low. They're thinking of moving to whiter area but they're concerned about these types of incidents.

Personally I think they should move back East, Kansas City doesn't sound like a great place to live for Black people.
Edward A, is that really you? Lol. J/k Your friend's wife is a better one than my friends with biracial kids. Somebody would have gotten an azz whippin. Society will be a better place when people learn to mind their own business.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:06 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,990,488 times
Sad-she should own the name proudly at this point, even though I'm not a fan of either name.
How is Kylie any better? I actually prefer Keisha.

My Mom actually has a weird thing about "made up names" and "fluff names" like Kylie/Ashley/Heather, even though all names were "made up" at one point, so it's pretty ridiculous to think like that.

I'll probably name my kids traditionally Irish names-Siobhan/Sheila/Aiden/Sean/Ciaran, etc. whether they are bi-racial or not.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 11-06-2013 at 10:14 AM..

Old 11-06-2013, 10:12 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,264,107 times
I blame her mother. I would never raise my child in an area where they would be one of the few of their racial kind. I feel sorry for this young woman, she'll likely have many issues. Keisha is a very common name, there is nothing weird or bad about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies