Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:53 PM

15,358 posts, read 12,685,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
According to Wikipedia, the name Keisha is derived from Kezia - which is a Hebrew name. So the girl's name did not connect her to her AA roots, and the bullying may have in fact been rooted in anti-Semitism.
This makes no sense...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 07:01 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,230,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I have experienced this as well.

People always tell me "you sound different on the phone." When I show up. I kind of like having the name I do an having what I call an "excellent" phone voice. I don't know if it (my name) has given me any benefits in the job market, but I remember reading about a lady who changed the name on her resume and marked herself as "white" on monster.com and how she got a ton of call backs after she had been trying to get a job for months using her "black" name. That person didn't show up for the interviews. I would have and if they wouldn't have interviewed me I would have sued them because I'm just like that and wouldn't take that mess.

And like another poster mentioned, I don't even consider Keisha a "black name." I knew a white "Kisha" growing up, pronounced the same. I knew 2 white Chante's (one was spelled differently, but pronounced Shan-Tay). The most popular names in my era were Jennifer and Heather and I knew a ton of black and white Jenny's and Heather's. I was so happy I was not one of them. Amanda and Amber were popular too.

All of my brothers and sisters have rather traditional names due to being named after family members. FWIW, my grandmother's name was Florence and she hated it, she was named after her grandmother. I considered naming my daughter Florence, but didn't because my grandmother hated it so much lol. I know a lady now in her 60s who is named "Mamie" and she really hates it. She was named after her grandmother and considers it "an old lady's name." LOL even though she is nearly 70 years old.
The problem was it was "an old lady's name" even when she was 7 years old!!!

Old 11-06-2013, 07:20 PM

22,687 posts, read 24,703,153 times
LAtrine or LAtrina................cherish the diversity of those names!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies