Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2013, 09:30 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,949,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Rights are what we define them to be. Nothing more, nothing less, nothing else. Most countries on the planet have made the moral choice to define a certain minimum level of healthcare to be a right.

We have not.

It is as simple as that.
It's time to change the minds of so many Conservatives, otherwise our so called free country has become a third world dictatorship. There is no real reason to deny healthcare to anyone. We do not need to return the days of old when the down n out went to the "poor house" or the " county home" . When children were cast aside because no one cared.When there were street kids and those begging on the street corner, pimping their sister, or mother or selling chewing gum for donations.

It's not about a war between the left and the Right , what it is is the lack of understanding that healthcare IS the right we share. Driving a car might be a privilege , the right to enjoy good health is a freedom we can not afford to loose. I understand the disagreements over how to go about gaining this right has many faces . The country that fails to take care of its people is a Country that will not survive.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:11 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,176,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
In the civilized world, life is a right, therefore healthcare is a right and by extension so is health insurance.
Then food is a right also, and clothing, and housing, and electricity to heat and cool my home.

What good is food without a stove to cook it on, a refrigerator to keep it in and plates, cups and flatware to eat it with.

In other words, by your reasoning, I have the right to sit on my ass, do nothing at all, and be fed, clothed, housed, cared for even receive my free birth control pills, since those are my right too.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:34 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,949,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Then food is a right also, and clothing, and housing, and electricity to heat and cool my home.

What good is food without a stove to cook it on, a refrigerator to keep it in and plates, cups and flatware to eat it with.

In other words, by your reasoning, I have the right to sit on my ass, do nothing at all, and be fed, clothed, housed, cared for even receive my free birth control pills, since those are my right too.
You are way off the deep end , just like the right wing rant I have been hearing for years , as a justification for rewarding the wealthy at the expense of the poor. The case you describe is taken right out of the right wing text book. They dance and prance this garbage day in and day out. ...They know whats right , but are willing to use the most helpless people we have as a justification for their actions. Its disgusting , and very WRONG !

Old 11-10-2013, 10:38 AM

573 posts, read 971,499 times
Hey OP, DD. You'll figure it out.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:41 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,791,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You are way off the deep end , just like the right wing rant I have been hearing for years , as a justification for rewarding the wealthy at the expense of the poor. The case you describe is taken right out of the right wing text book. They dance and prance this garbage day in and day out. ...They know whats right , but are willing to use the most helpless people we have as a justification for their actions. Its disgusting , and very WRONG !
TRANSLATION: I can't refute a word of it.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:41 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,307,407 times
Default Why have people come to believe health care is a "right", when it actually isn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
In the civilized world, life is a right, therefore healthcare is a right and by extension so is health insurance.
Quote:

Why have people come to believe health care is a "right", when it actually isn't?-liberal-logic-101-119-1-.jpg When you're told from birth that you're downtrodden and abused and deserve
anything/everything you want/get, because you are 'entitled to it'.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:21 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,090,383 times
Quote:
If we make the moral choice that those are rights, then they are rights.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:41 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,779,325 times
mob rules

Old 11-10-2013, 11:45 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
People are entitled to live. To live, one needs shelter, food and water. Those aren't exactly free so i one cant get a job, we as a society should have a way to provide for them.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:50 AM

347 posts, read 492,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Why should low taxation be a right, when it actually isn't?
HUH? everyone's taxes are rising not just the rich but the middle class and the lower middle class not to mention the lower class.

BUT politicians want rich to pay MORE. That won't cover everything that America needs anyways.

Last edited by jerseyexpat; 11-10-2013 at 01:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies