Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 02:48 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,369,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
If we got Big Government out of the way and let the free market weigh in, then we would have a wonderful country.
Well, I was thinking "yeah right...", then I read this:

Quote:
Yes, they would if given the proper incentives. People don't usually crap in their own pond. If businesses owned a river, they would be sure it was clean. That's just simple business sense.
Then I realized who we are dealing with here.

Maybe if the business "owned" a river, they might think about keeping it clean if that led to higher profits or benefitted them in some way, but it's not likely. But, if you think that without environmental regulations in place, that business would trip over itself to make sure it was not impacting the environment at all, then I realize that you are not capable of rational thought. Why did they not do this before regulations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 02:48 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,774,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You really believe that Disneyland is different from Lake Erie? LMAO..
Yes. Lake Erie is owned by the government and is polluted. Disneyland, not so much. LMAO

Old 11-13-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Well, I was thinking "yeah right...", then I read this:

Then I realized who we are dealing with here.

Maybe if the business "owned" a river, they might think about keeping it clean if that led to higher profits or benefitted them in some way, but it's not likely. But, if you think that without environmental regulations in place, that business would trip over itself to make sure it was not impacting the environment at all, then I realize that you are not capable of rational thought. Why did they not do this before regulations?
Because they had no stake in the game.

As I said, people don't usually crap in their own pond.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:52 PM

18,471 posts, read 7,112,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
And of course, those capitalists would be sure by policing themselves that our environment, clean air, and water would remain safe for us all without government meddling.

Why are rich capitalists always stepping on the necks of the poor and middle class?

oh, wait, because they're rich, and dog gonnit, they can!
I'm about as middle class as you can get and I used to be poor.
I've never had a rich person "step on my neck" or otherwise hinder my climb towards the next rung on the ladder of upward mobility.

In fact I would say the the only limitations on me are the ones I've placed on myself.
The only reason I'm not RICH or even UPPER middle class is because I am not willing to work harder than I do now to achieve it.
But that's MY fault....not anyone else's and certainly not the fault of rich Capitalists.

Rich Capitalists are the ones who provided the ladder for me to climb.
It's not their fault if I am unwilling or even unable to climb any higher.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:52 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,076,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
News for you, Obama is not rich, he's not poor, but he's not rich.
So the meaning of "rich" is always going to be just above the net value of the obamas?

A family with a net worth of $12 million is not "rich"?

Old 11-13-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Maybe if the business "owned" a river, they might think about keeping it clean if that led to higher profits or benefitted them in some way, but it's not likely.
That's the whole objective. A clean river would lead to more business. I never suggested that they would keep the river for altruistic reasons. Disney World doesn't have an extremely clean park for any reason other than it leads to more business. Golf courses don't have water fountains because the government says they have to. They have water fountains because it leads to more business. That model can be extended to a lot of other businesses. We should find ways to entice business into making our world a better place. That model works a lot better than government regulation.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:57 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,369,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Absolutely
Hmm...well, that's absolutely contrary to the numerous arguments on this forum alone of people wanting the abolishment of minimum wage so that lower wages can be paid.

So which is it?

Quote:
That's the whole objective. A clean river would lead to more business. I never suggested that they would keep the river for altruistic reasons. Disney World doesn't have an extremely clean park for any reason other than it leads to more business. Golf courses don't have water fountains because the government says they have to. They have water fountains because it leads to more business. That model can be extended to a lot of other businesses. We should find ways to entice business into making our world a better place. That model works a lot better than government regulation.
So before government regulations, many waterways were so polluted that they weren't even fit for animal life. They didn't do it then, why would they do it now?

You are talking about self-contained small bodies of water completely within the confines of a tourist-type destination. What reasons would a chemical company have for not dumping into a river that flowed away from them? If there was nothing illegal about it, and the only downfall might be that some family down the way might try to hire an internet lawyer to sue them for one hour's worth of profits, what's the incentive?

By the way, here is a video of a guy literally crapping in a lake: YouTube. And he won't make any profit off that. Now, add a profit motive.

Last edited by samiwas1; 11-13-2013 at 03:11 PM..

Old 11-13-2013, 02:58 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,076,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Yeah, because we all know that businesses have never polluted the air, rivers, or land.

Will companies buy our air now too?

air pollution from Disney World Hotspot 02/02/07 - YouTube
Even with the billions of dollars that our tax dollars waste on the EPA, there is still a lot of polluting going on.

The fact is, that the EPA regulations are so prohibitive, many people illegally dump to avoid the cost of proper disposal.

A friend of mine had asbestos siding on his house.....the cost of removal and disposal....over $5,000. He simply buried it in his yard.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:59 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,188,626 times
Quote:

Your premise only works if it's in the best financial of the company to keep the river clean and not dump waste into it and doesn't even consider the notion that it might be in the best financial interest of the company to dump waste into the river.

Did you not understand why we had laws in the first place that bans companies from dumping their waste into rivers? Because that's exactly what they used to do. In Cleveland, their river once caught on fire it was so filled with industrial waste.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:59 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,859,299 times
Quote:
Because they had no stake in the game.

As I said, people don't usually crap in their own pond.
They do if it runs down stream such as a river does! But hey! If the company can make a profit!

Quote:
Water pollution is a major global problem which requires ongoing evaluation and revision of water resource policy at all levels (international down to individual aquifers and wells). It has been suggested that it is the leading worldwide cause of deaths and diseases, and that it accounts for the deaths of more than 14,000 people daily.An estimated of 580 people in India die of water pollution related sickness every day. Some 90% of China's cities suffer from some degree of water pollution, and nearly 500 million people lack access to safe drinking water. In addition to the acute problems of water pollution in developing countries, developed countries continue to struggle with pollution problems as well. In the most recent national report on water quality in the United States, 45 percent of assessed stream miles, 47 percent of assessed lake acres, and 32 percent of assessed bays and estuarine square miles were classified as polluted.
Water pollution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies