Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 08:04 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
How? In what ways?
In myriad ways. Can you really not think of dozens?

Quote:
As I recall, rights are ONLY removed by adjudication - due process.
Not true at all. Rights can be regulated or removed by legislative action. (And I also will point out that adjudication is governmental action - i.e. governmental regulation).

Quote:
Felons: rights removed by trial.
Wrong. In places where felons are denied the right to vote, they are denied the right to do so via laws passed by legislatures and signed by governors.

Quote:
Non-citizens: Our government does not exist to defend their rights.
Nor does our government exist to deny rights to non-citizens, yet it does.

Quote:
under age 18: Judged incompetent. That doesn't stop some people wanting to lower the age to 17, 15, 11, etc.
Yes, judged incompetent by legislators and government executives who then pass regulatory laws denying them the right to vote.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:04 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
Quote:
No, I didn't argue anything about why. I'm critiquing your logic.

You're making it up as you go.
I suspect you are using a false equivalency, because I have not argued many points in my discussion here.

I think it's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to use the U.S. Constitution to argue against gay marriage. Arguing on "tradition" is silly and ineffective because that's irrelevant to the Constitution. If you want to make a common good argument, then go right ahead, but that's highly debatable as to its validity.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:09 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Can you explain the virtue of legally recognizing gays being married?
I agree with Jesus on this. Look up his words on gay marriage. He is the Son of God. You can't argue with that.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:09 PM

48 posts, read 54,499 times
Quote:
Rephrase your question. I don't understand it.
I guess I never considered gay marriage as being more against what I believed than more of what others wanted. I don't know if that make sense. My beliefs of gay marriage is less important than others who want it.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:12 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
I was walking this morning, grabbing my toothpaste And I thought "gay marriage" and no, that didn't really happen.

So a few people of the same sex want to marry each other. This affects me, how?

SO, what Jesus said.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:20 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
how bout it liberals. brother marrying sister. two consenting adults.
If you want to, why not? As for me, I do love my siblings but nothing about them "Turns me on"

Old 11-14-2013, 08:26 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
So, you're saying that because someone wants some legal rights and privileges, they should be give them?
Unless there's a compelling reason to deny someone equal access to civil institutions, then yes, people should all be given the same legal rights and privileges.

Government doesn't get to discriminate just because. It needs a compelling reason to do so.

Strict scrutiny - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-14-2013, 08:32 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
how bout it liberals. brother marrying sister. two consenting adults.
That's inbred which no one is condoning. It has nothing to do with gay marriage.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:32 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
Why? Why do gay people need to marry?
Why do straights need to marry? Did it ever cross your mind that we also want the same protections and benefits that our tax dollars also pay for? And you are wrong, the federal government recognizes that marriage is a right.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:35 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
So, you want legal rights and privileges? Which ones are those?
All the same ones that straight people get with marriage, no less, no more. Is that simple enough for you to understand? We pay taxes too, we vote too, we are US citizens too, not a separate species, we are humans, just like you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies