Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 06:47 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,175,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Because we're not like you. We don't see virtue in taking people's money in retribution for being unable to buy what liberals demand you buy.
Well then like I said, you forgo the insurance, take the fine & then when it comes time when something tragic happens, you pay the full price, maybe get your wages garnished & maybe even go bankrupt if you can't pay the $100,000 bill.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:50 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,170,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Well then like I said, you forgo the insurance, take the fine & then when it comes time when something tragic happens, you pay the full price, maybe get your wages garnished & maybe even go bankrupt if you can't pay the $100,000 bill.
Sounds fair to me.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:57 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,374,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
give me 3 examples. With 45,387 posts per day, that should be a snap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I'm not a liberal but it's apparent that they believe government will make good decisions.

They have this idea that because government isn't motivated by making a profit, government will therefore do what is in the best interest of the common person. So you elect the best people to office and invest them with the power to make a real impact on peoples' lives, and those people will naturally make everyone's life better. If a few people get hurt now and then that's just a price that has to be paid for the greater good.

Of course, I do not agree with any of that. But I believe that's the liberal thought process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
In short because they feel that "P" Obama is their daddy, the 1st lady their mom and Harry Reid their closest Uncle and that they know what's good and can do no wrong by/for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You pack a weapon some clown comes up you shoot him end of story. Saves many lives not just your own. Liberals won't stand for that though. Better to let folks beat the hell out of each other and claim racism and file lawsuits and scream and moan and cry. Just complete insanity has taken over the country. That is what liberalism promotes.........complete insanity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Liberals are stupid, they promise the voters a share of other people's money... The only reason they get elected...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
This is the liberal mindset. They believe the world owed them something, as if they have been unjustly wronged therefor lying and stealing from others is an end to some social injustice. It's pathetic really. In the end the voted tiger belief system and put the most inept pathalogical liar in history in the White House

Hell, there's a whole thread on it. And that's what this thread was about. The fact that I had to find even three cases of it shows how out of touch you might be.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:29 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,014,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
No you don't. But you can get a fine. Why don't you go that route, the fine is less than the insurance so I don't know what everyone is crying about.
Perhaps people could use the money that was stolen from them by greedy politicians to feed their families with their own money, buy their children a Christmas present, take their children out to dinner for a holiday, put it in their college fund, or put it towards their retirement savings. However, it's not important to you that any other families do things like that, is it? So much for the party and ideology of compassion - the truth is that your ilk's compassion is reserved only for those who share your worldview and embrace your schemes; the opposition is a plague to be wiped out, so they deserve to have their money stolen from them and to have their children's future undermined. Perhaps if they're punished harshly enough they'll see the light and learn to love getting screwed at every turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Nice to see the straw men are out and about today. Libertarian, individualist philosophy has always allowed for restriction of actions like pollution that affect others. 'Your right to freely swing your fist ends and the tip of my nose' is a common way to put it.

Anyone who as managed to miss this point needs to go read a basic intro to libertarianism/individualism such as Friedman's Free to Choose before posting again on what libertarian-conservative types believe and advocate.
I second this - libertarians support a harm-based approach to regulating pollution and other environmental issues, i.e. someone polluting and damaging someone else's property or otherwise harming another individual should be illegal, but if your actions are not harming anyone else or their property the government must leave you alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
That's cute, I guess my right to not have my house pissed on makes me a communist to you.
If someone damages your house, then your property rights as an individual have been violated. What the government does in these hotly-contested cases of intrusion is damage the houses of people who have done no harm to any other individual.

Also, I thought the general idea of "a man's home is his castle", which you invoke, was more enthusiastically embraced by conservatives than liberals, or are you referring to some other issue with your house statement?

Old 11-24-2013, 08:08 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,175,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Perhaps people could use the money that was stolen from them by greedy politicians to feed their families with their own money, buy their children a Christmas present, take their children out to dinner for a holiday, put it in their college fund, or put it towards their retirement savings. However, it's not important to you that any other families do things like that, is it? So much for the party and ideology of compassion - the truth is that your ilk's compassion is reserved only for those who share your worldview and embrace your schemes; the opposition is a plague to be wiped out, so they deserve to have their money stolen from them and to have their children's future undermined. Perhaps if they're punished harshly enough they'll see the light and learn to love getting screwed at every turn.

Huh. Maybe those parents should be more concerned about their childrens health & get them insured instead of worrying about a holiday dinner.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:18 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,371,874 times
Quote:
Let's revisit, since your memory and comprehension are deficient.

Seems quite clear to me that it was HIM who did the "I'm better than you" attack.
Actually, comprehension's pretty good. I see "I'm better" to be very different than, "I'm doing better" but admittedly, the difference is subtle and can be easily lost or overlooked.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:32 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,107,194 times
Quote:
Can you explain this?
Sure:

The annual increase in US Healthcare casts due to obesity is $190 billion. This comes from $5,530 more per year in medical costs for a person with a BMI above 40. By comparison, smokers' medical costs were only $1,274 a year higher than nonsmokers', who also generally die earlier. The bulk of these costs are assumed by all of us, even those who are not fat, in the form of higher insurance premiums, higher unit costs due to increases demand on the system, and medicare and medicaid costs assumed by the taxpayer because of necessary cost shifting.

Additionally:

We expend as a nation $5 billion annually for additional jet fuel needed to fly heavier Americans, compared to fuel needed at 1960 weights. $4 billion annually for additional gasoline as cars carry heavier passengers. Businesses absorb $1,026 per year for absenteeism for each very obese male worker (BMI > 40) and $1,262: Annual cost of absenteeism per very obese female worker. $277: annual cost of absenteeism per mildly obese (BMI 25 to 29.9) male worker and $407: annual cost of absenteeism per mildly obese female worker.

There are other costs... but that should pretty much answer your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk
No. society exists to DEFEND individual liberty, not take it.
Actually, no. That's pretty much just a secondary byproduct. All of human history declares that because humans are social animals the primary thing that society secures is existence. That is why society exists; as a community we can transform our environment and conquer the planet, but as individuals we are food for leopards and hyenas. Across all of our sojourn on the planet the core human unit has always been humanity and not the individual human.

The United States was certainly unique in recognizing a balance between individual liberty and societal prerogatives. But even today, the solipsistic and self centered American worship of the individual over the community is a global anomaly... approached only by the Australians. Pretty much the rest of the planet thinks we're insane on that score. And the preamble to our own Constitution expresses a balance that is completely missing from the egocentric blather of the contemporary American Libertarian. It speaks of "a more perfect Union," the "common Defence" and "general welfare." The Constitution makes no effort to suborn society to the individual. It instead attempts to create a better society.

Quote:
No, compromise is the death of society.
Perhaps if you are an oyster. Not if you are a human being.

Quote:
I don't smoke. I hate cigarette smoke. And I still think people should be free to do as they want, including smoking in bars and restaurants, etc. The only place people should not be able to smoke, is places where nobody has a choice about being.
Your fabulous generosity to your fellow man is noted.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:37 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,107,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
A recipe for tyranny to say the least.
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier
Didn't you once take an oath to defend the constitution?
Yes. Unlike you.

Actually unlike you, I have also read it.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:54 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,271,545 times
Quote:
Let's revisit, since your memory and comprehension are deficient.

Seems quite clear to me that it was HIM who did the "I'm better than you" attack.

And you called him "lazy" to begin with. Seriously, you're going to stick with this line of BS?

Old 11-25-2013, 06:57 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,290,011 times
Quote:
No, it was founded on the notion that the individual would NOT be compromised by force.
It was also founded on the notion that the government has the right to levy taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies