Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 11:32 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,973,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Because the conservative opposition to same-sex marriage is ALL about the individual, eh?
Marriage is about an individual? Since when?

Quote:
Because the conservative willingness to give corporations carte blanche is ALL about the individual, eh?
What? Explain.

Quote:
WHAT a load of self-serving self-Righteous hooey.
I suspect that's what you'll answer, if I ask you serious questions.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:33 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
That's cute, I guess my right to not have my house pissed on makes me a communist to you.
No-

That is respecting the right of the individual.

Building a low income housing project next door(essentially "pissing" on your house ) is what liberals would (and have) done.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:33 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,088,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Then how is what you eat, wearing a helmet, wearing seat belts, choosing what you want to insure against, etc, NOT personal choice?
All those choices generate societal costs. In that way, they are not entirely personal.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
And there is the rub. Using your example; The boundary between someone who "eats fast food" and someone who eats fast food to the point at which point they begin to place a burden on the healthcare system that all of us (yes, even before Obamacare) pay for, is arbitrary. Move from the behavior of individuals to the behavior of entire populations, and the issue becomes that much more subjective.
Can you explain this?

Quote:
Having acknowledged that all such issues are necessarily complex, society still has an interest in balancing the freedom of the individual on one hand and the safety, security, stability and opportunity of the community on the other. In finding that balance, there will be errors on either side... some that favor the individual too much and some that favor the community too much. In a healthy society, those discussion are constantly revisited, generally in a sense of compromise But all such decisions are by definition compromises.
No. society exists to DEFEND individual liberty, not take it.

Quote:
All pragmatic achievement requires compromise. The loss of the capacity to compromise is debilitating to the functioning of any society.
No, compromise is the death of society.

Quote:
Cigarette use in a public place is a different issue - since smoke cannot be contained and it is objectionable (for health reasons) to people nearby.
I don't smoke. I hate cigarette smoke. And I still think people should be free to do as they want, including smoking in bars and restaurants, etc. The only place people should not be able to smoke, is places where nobody has a choice about being.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
All those choices generate societal costs. In that way, they are not entirely personal.
How?

Old 11-24-2013, 11:38 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Any "personal decision" that actually affects more than a single person is no longer exclusively personal.

Such is the foundation for all morality.
A recipe for tyranny to say the least.

Didn't you once take an oath to defend the constitution?

Old 11-24-2013, 11:49 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,233,105 times
Family>self>community>nation, in that order.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:54 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Marriage is about an individual? Since when?
It's certainly the choice of an individual whom they choose to marry but conservatives would happily act to control the individual's choice, eh?

Quote:
What? Explain.
I'd say the right's willingness to give corporations carte blanche to do as they please with no concern for how their actions affect individuals (pollution being a good example) is pretty self-explanatory.

Quote:
I suspect that's what you'll answer, if I ask you serious questions.
I suspect you're incorrect

Old 11-24-2013, 11:54 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Absolutley.

No, living a civilized society requires NO laws at all.

Laws are to correct the non-civilized.

We'd be better off than than we are now.
Every single premise you asserted is wrong. Every single one.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It's certainly the choice of an individual whom they choose to marry but conservatives would happily act to control the individual's choice, eh?
I'm still confused. How is marriage about the individual? There has NEVER been ANY prohibition on marriage... Just a debate about who the state will give legal status. This argument is about who the state chooses to condone and who it doesn't. So, again, how this this about an individual?

Quote:
I'd say the right's willingness to give corporations carte blanche to do as they please with no concern for how their actions affect individuals (pollution being a good example) is pretty self-explanatory.
No, it's not self explanatory. Start explaining, in detail.

Quote:
I suspect you're incorrect
That's your doubt, not mine. I am always correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies