Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 10:27 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Do you not see the hypocrisy of correction officers accepting bribes, and money to smuggle drugs into prisons, when they're supposed to allegedly be enforcing the laws? They're playing both sides of the coin, which is further proof that the war on drugs is a failure.
The argument was about legalizing drugs and making them available for prisoners, and I think it is a very bad idea.

No, corruption is not exclusive to drugs. People are corrupt with or without drugs. The guards smuggle them other things like cell phones etc, so it is not a drug issue per se, although you clearly believe corruption of all kinds will vanish as soon as drugs are legalized.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 12-18-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 10:30 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Surrender to freedom?

You claiming war on me Finn? You trying to be my parent?

You do know the Fore Fathers smoked marijuana and advocate the growing of cannabis right?
That sound that you just heard was Finn's head exploding! Warning Warning Danger Will Robinson!!! But yes I suppose to prohibitionists freedom of choice, and allowing others to live their lives as they see fit, so long as they do not harm others is equivalent to surrender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yep, if you ever get the chance you should visit George Washington's estate at Mount Vernon. He refused to grow tobacco as it depletes the soil and hinders the growth of plants that surround it while marijuana enriches the soil and helps the growth of surrounding plants.

He even had a smoking room. I just wish I thought to slyly ask the tour guide what the smoking room was for if Washington didn't grow or use tobacco.

Hell, the very first marijuana law in this country was a law enforcing farmers to grow hemp in Jamestown.
Hmmm, I'll bet we know the answer to that. But according to stereotypes that couldn't be possible that a man as influential as helping in establishing this great nation like George Washington consumed cannabis, because all "potheads" are nothing but lazy degenerates who sit around all day and get high.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The argument was about legalizing drugs and making them available for prisoners, and I think it is a very bad idea.

No, corruption has nothing to do with drugs. People are corrupt with or without drugs. The guards smuggle them other things like cell phones etc, so it is not a drug issue per se, although you clearly believe corruption of all kinds will vanish as soon as drugs are legalized.

No, but the crime associated with drugs because of the black market would drop. The powers that be don't want that, and want to continue to feed into the Prison Industrial Complex. Criminalizing people by attempting to use the government to legislate morality, and be a person's nanny is big business. Personally, I find it quite immoral given the fact that this country which promotes itself as the "land of the free" that we have the largest incarceration rate in the world! Land of the free? You could have fooled me.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:21 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,126,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Now keep in mind, I'm not necessarily advocating that, but you obviously see the hypocrisy of this war on drugs, and the fact that our government plays both sides of the coin. If they actually did this, then they would lose out, as would the Prison Industrial Complex. Why? Because criminalizing Americans over what they put in their bodies is an easy payday. The powers that be loves themselves some kickbacks, and getting their palms greased.
Of course. I have said the same thing for many years. If drugs are such a problem in the government's eyes, then why haven't we sent the marines in to crush the cartels.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Of course. I have said the same thing for many years. If drugs are such a problem in the government's eyes, then why haven't we sent the marines in to crush the cartels.

Playing both sides of the coin my friend. HYPOCRISY AT IT'S FINEST!!!

Old 12-18-2013, 01:32 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
There is no such thing as Obamacare cost, but the price of private insurance would probably go up as demand for drug treatment would increase.
Other than possibly coming down with bronchitis, how does smoking marijuana make people so sick they need medical attention? The 4 remaining legal federal medical marijuana patients have been smoking hundreds of joints every month for decades without apparent ill effect.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:55 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Other than possibly coming down with bronchitis, how does smoking marijuana make people so sick they need medical attention? The 4 remaining legal federal medical marijuana patients have been smoking hundreds of joints every month for decades without apparent ill effect.
1.2 million people every year seek treatment for marijuana addiction, and that's 30% of all people seeking treatment for any dependency, including alcohol. It costs money my friend. The pro-narcotic people are suggesting the tax payer should pay for their treatment, but I am not sure I want my tax money to be spent on treating people who put themselves in that situation.

Call now. 1-877-345-849 We Can HELP You

Old 12-18-2013, 04:57 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times
Quote:
1.2 million people every year seek treatment for marijuana addiction, and that's 30% of all people seeking treatment for any dependency, including alcohol. It costs money my friend. The pro-narcotic people are suggesting the tax payer should pay for their treatment, but I am not sure I want my tax money to be spent on treating people who put themselves in that situation.

Call now. 1-877-345-849 We Can HELP You
You have a link?

Define "seeking" help. Was it because they were forced to after a possession charge, or was it because they willingly "sought" help?

The vast majority of people are in treatment centers for alcohol, the legal drug.

Also, what about the ramifications for legal drugs? The effects are currently worse than our illegal drug use.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:08 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Also, what about the ramifications for legal drugs? The effects are currently worse than our illegal drug use.
All drugs should be decriminalized to end this plague. Let zombies be zombies. Leave the rest of us alone.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:16 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,209,482 times
Quote:

No, corruption is not exclusive to drugs. People are corrupt with or without drugs. The guards smuggle them other things like cell phones etc, so it is not a drug issue per se, although you clearly believe corruption of all kinds will vanish as soon as drugs are legalized.
I fully understand your position. Decriminalization of all drugs is not a good solution, it is the only solution. There will be much pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies