Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 06:16 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
this law bans religious people from owning a bakery
Not at all. A person of any religion is allowed to open any business they want. They simply have to follow the same laws as everyone else.
Maybe you don't understand the definition of ban. IF one is allowed, then they are not banned.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:17 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If the law is struck down by the USSC, then I think the law should not be enforced. But until that happens, I have no problem with the laws of a state being enforced. And seeing as how anti discrimination laws have been in effect since 1964, and have not been overturned by the USSC, I don't see that happening.
1. no religion bans selling goods to blacks.
2. do you think it's it ever right to disobey a law?

Quote:
Then Orthodox Jews can open private membership only bakeries that only allow Jews. Seriously. YOUR re;igious beliefs do not give you special rights under the laws of commerce.
that sound like a infinitely bigger problem according to anti discrimination laws

Old 12-11-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
if they sold a wedding cake for a same gender "Wedding" (even if they sold it to a heterosexual) they would no longer be Orthodox

forcing a Jew to bake a cake for a same gender "wedding" is worse than killing him.

Though I guess they can get a heter if it's laced with ricin
No one is forcing anyone to open a business. No one is forcing anyone to offer wedding cakes for sale. IF one CHOOSES to open a business and sell wedding cakes, then they can not discriminate. Don't offer wedding cakes for sale, and you don't have to sell them to gays.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
if the heterosexual couple was buying it for there sons perverted "marriage" they would deny it

this is not discrimination
That is discrimination based on the sexual orientation of the people the wedding cake is for.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:22 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
if they sold a wedding cake for a same gender "Wedding" (even if they sold it to a heterosexual) they would no longer be Orthodox

forcing a Jew to bake a cake for a same gender "wedding" is worse than killing him.

Though I guess they can get a heter if it's laced with ricin
This makes no sense whatsoever. Selling a cake for profit is not religious. It's a commercial activity.

Again, this is just the extreme arrogance of the fundamentally religious. You define anything and everything as religious, and then say that because of its religious nature society's laws don't apply to you and that you can do whatever you want.

Rational people in civilized societies don't bow to that kind of insanity and chaos.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
1. no religion bans selling goods to blacks.
2. do you think it's it ever right to disobey a law?

that sound like a infinitely bigger problem according to anti discrimination laws
Then why did people use their religious beliefs to try to deny services to blacks? YOU may not agree with their religious beliefs, but if YOU are allowed to break the law based on your religious beliefs, then everyone is.

I'm already working on starting my own religion. No laws will ever stand in my way again. I mean the first amendment and all.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:23 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I am curious.

I was mocking too because that seems the logical (and ridiculous) outcome of the philosophy you were espousing.
Quote:
Gay people eat food to provide themselves with energy. They sometimes use that energy to have gay sex. Is helping a gay person produce the energy to have gay sex by selling him food a sin? Is it therefore against Judaism to sell gay people food?
not a problem

Quote:
Gay people have sex upon their beds. Is helping a gay person have sex by selling him a bed a sin? Is it therefore against Judaism to sell gay people beds?
possibly depends on the scenario

Quote:
Gay people need driver's licenses to legally operate their vehicles, and sometimes they drive these vehicles to have gay sex. Is it therefore against Judaism to get a job with the DMV and help gay people obtain driver's licenses?
no problem, though I can probably invents a far fetched case that's plausible that would be forbidden

Quote:
And what about other sinners
yes for example it's forbidden to sell a knife to many people

Quote:
even Jewish sinners
especially Jewish sinners the laws regarding helping them are much stronger

Quote:
Wouldn't it be a sin to do any of these things for any sinner?
the problem is not helping a sinner but helping a sinner SIN

Old 12-11-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
if the heterosexual couple was buying it for there sons perverted "marriage" they would deny it

this is not discrimination
Of course it's discrimination. It's just discrimination that you take joy in.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
But isn't any helping of a sinner helping the sinner sin?

Old 12-11-2013, 06:26 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times
Quote:
Rational people in civilized societies don't bow to that kind of insanity.
Damn right we don't. But at the same time I am afraid that as more and more people begin to stand up to this sort of nonsense, the fervor with which people like NY Jew protest is only going to grow and become more violent and disjointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew
Quote:
But isn't any helping of a sinner helping the sinner sin?
There is a tongue-twister in here somewhere just waiting to be realized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies