Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 11:02 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Gotta seriously question the motives of anyone taking pleasure out of eliminating a whole sector of employment in an already floundering jobs market.

Cause and effect will come back to bite your hiney big time in a very Karma inducing way if you are actually gloating over this move.

I bet a significant portion of a job you or some other member of your family is presently doing can be replaced by a "software package and a piece of shiny, Chinese made, hardware".

Be very careful what you wish for.
I believe the restaurants should use whatever technology they can justify to make a profit. I am union, but I've never believed in protecting unneeded jobs.

But I do not believe that human beings should be made to compete with technology to keep their jobs. Don't try to lower my wages under threat of using a machine to do my job. There is a minimum level that human being with souls should be treated.

I get a kick out of the mean spirited people reveling in other peoples troubles on here. Talk about karma!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 11:23 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I really believe that a number of you that posted on this thread do not understand business. In order for a company to remain in business it has to make a profit, why, most large companies like McDonalds, GM, Ford and clothing manufactures, are public traded companies, this means they have share holders that like to see a return on their investment, once you start to decrease profit everything else starts to decrease also, this is what drives a company out of business or forces it to move over seas. Like it or not a company is not in business to employ people, employment is a direct result of the success of the companies profits. When a company is struggling the fastest was to cut expenses is to start cutting employees, this has the most impact on a companies bottom line. So when you start touting a 15 dollar minimum wage, think of all those mom and pop companies that maybe forced out of business because you want to see large companies pay more. Remember these laws effect all businesses not just the large ones.

In my opinion it is the Food Service Union pushing this agenda, not for the benefit of the workers but for the benefit of the union.
I agree with this. I really do think that the Food Service Union wants workers so they can collect dues. Like many Unions today, they are a business.They need members to pay every month..and most members see little in return. My own union membership is required by my employer, but I see little (if any) benefit from the $50 per month I fork over to them. I suspect that once unionized, fast food joints will raise prices thru the roof.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:30 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
I really believe that a number of you that posted on this thread do not understand business. In order for a company to remain in business it has to make a profit, why, most large companies like McDonalds, GM, Ford and clothing manufactures, are public traded companies, this means they have share holders that like to see a return on their investment, once you start to decrease profit everything else starts to decrease also, this is what drives a company out of business or forces it to move over seas. Like it or not a company is not in business to employ people, employment is a direct result of the success of the companies profits. When a company is struggling the fastest was to cut expenses is to start cutting employees, this has the most impact on a companies bottom line. So when you start touting a 15 dollar minimum wage, think of all those mom and pop companies that maybe forced out of business because you want to see large companies pay more. Remember these laws effect all businesses not just the large ones.

In my opinion it is the Food Service Union pushing this agenda, not for the benefit of the workers but for the benefit of the union.
I agree that that is pretty much the mechanism, but I would never call that 'laws'. Law implies something is good and alright, but I don't think it is in this case. Greedy people with money expecting more money in exchange for lending money they don't need anyway, that should never be the driving force behind any decent system. That basically describes a loan shark...

Old 12-09-2013, 11:35 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I agree with this. I really do think that the Food Service Union wants workers so they can collect dues. Like many Unions today, they are a business.They need members to pay every month..and most members see little in return. My own union membership is required by my employer, but I see little (if any) benefit from the $50 per month I fork over to them. I suspect that once unionized, fast food joints will raise prices thru the roof.
You can count on that, expect to pay 7 dollars for a McDonalds hamburger, 4 dollars for an order of fries and 3 dollars for a drink, and if you don't want to pay those prices, your 15 dollar an hour job is going to go the way of the Dodo bird.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:54 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
You can succeed if you want? Where did you get that horrible idea? Do you not think some people are just not smart enough for much. Do you really think people should get loans to go to school for a degree for jobs that may not even be there when they graduate. I guess calling people pathetic is just admitting how ignorant and out of touch of reality you are.
Liberals go to college to get "enlightened" and for the "experience". Smart folks go there to get a degree in a field that will pay them money so they can raise a family. Liberals then sit around crying that they have to work at McDonalds for min wage when they have their fancy smancy liberal arts degree they have been throwing around. Liberals are basically lost and expect the government to take care of them.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:55 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I believe the restaurants should use whatever technology they can justify to make a profit

I agree fully with that statement, and that includes using technology to lower labor costs.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Just relating the truth; if workers demand $15/hr to flip a burger, jobs will go away.

Why is it, then when we warn libs about the folly of their ideas, and the consequences of their policies, unforeseen by them, that the libs accuse us of wanting it to happen? If I tell you not to touch a hot stove, and I roll my eyes at you when you do it anyway, don't blame me for rolling my eyes at your stupidity.

People like the personal interaction, to ask a cashier what options their are, to give their order to a person, and not having to type in everything yourself; which is like having to cook your own food. Self-serve is not as wonderful as you may think, it's why a lot of people don't like cafeteria styled cafe restaurants. A lot of folks like a sit down restaurant, with a waitress to take your order, not self-serve.

Don't tell me people want impersonal, robots that they need to operate, just to get fast food. If we wanted that, we'd already have that, because the technology has been around for decades already.
I agree as do I but we're talking about fast food joints here. I mean I can go hit the number on combo button and swipe my card on my own. For those who want the sit down thing then go to a real restaurant. Heck I don't even eat fast food much anymore unless the kids scream in my ear long enough. I just don't see somebody making 15 bucks an hour to dump a basket of fries every three minutes. Makes no sense at all. But that is liberalism.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
The truth IS - that automation is NOT the result of demanding $15 per hour, now is it? If it were - we wouldn't already have self-checkout lines and kiosks wherever one looks. And workers are paid less than ever. So please don't try and feed me that chit about it being the result of greedy employees. More likely greedy employers.

With regard to personal interaction; most of my son's generation (age 18) absolutely does NOT want it. They prefer self-checkout, impersonal ordering; and online shopping. So, this is a trend that is here to stay and it doesn't matter if you LOWER miminum wage; the trend of automation and self-service will continue.

Remember full-service gasoline stations? Remember those?

Eye-roll at your own stupidity.
Yes it does seem the art of communication is being lost in this whole world anymore. Folks sit around and email and text and shop online and basically don't want contact with other humans. Hell I have neighbors who never even come out of their homes anymore. The ones I talk to every day we just laugh and say eh they must be playing xbox. Yes I have liberal neighbors too and we get along fine. They are crazy but they are good folks. Makes for fun times especially in the summer when we yell at each other and then sit down and have a beer. You know just doing that will be a lost art too in society. Instead folks will order a micro brew online and have it shipped to their neighbor.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:07 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I agree as do I but we're talking about fast food joints here. I mean I can go hit the number on combo button and swipe my card on my own. For those who want the sit down thing then go to a real restaurant. Heck I don't even eat fast food much anymore unless the kids scream in my ear long enough. I just don't see somebody making 15 bucks an hour to dump a basket of fries every three minutes. Makes no sense at all. But that is liberalism.
Some investors make thousands of dollars in three minutes while sleeping

Old 12-09-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
You can count on that, expect to pay 7 dollars for a McDonalds hamburger, 4 dollars for an order of fries and 3 dollars for a drink, and if you don't want to pay those prices, your 15 dollar an hour job is going to go the way of the Dodo bird.
You are correct. I won't pay that and nobody else will either especailly when you factor in the crappy service and crappy food. I mean fast food is what it is. Slop together a burger and fries or what have you. Most times we hit the fast food joints is after the kids ballgames and things like that when we don't have time to get home and cook. No way am I gonna pay twice what I do now for a bag of garbage. LOL. Just unreal what these folks expect. They think jacking salaries up to $15 an hour and all is well and they have done their good deed. Reality is they put a lot of folks out of jobs and closed a lot of business cause I don't know anybody who's gonna pay the prices that will be jacked up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies