Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 11:27 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I never said the problems were tied to immigrants, but illegal immigrants pose unique problems so it doesn't seem realistic to compare a state that has to spend resoucres dealing with illegals to a state that does not.

HS graduation rates are identical in CA and TX.
Poverty/earnings are driven by educational achievement and CA has more people with a degree than TX does. TX is about 2 points lower than the national average, but most of the country doesn't have the amount of illegal immigrants that TX does.
Life expectancy is tied to lifestyle choices and socioeconomic background.

The poverty rate in the US is 16%, 16.4% in TX, and 23.8% in CA. So Texas is doing worse compared to the USA, but TX has to deal with illegal immigrants more directly.

Under the traditional calculation the poverty rate is 15.1% in the USA, 17.7% in TX, and 16.5% in CA.

Pg 13.
http://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/p60-247.pdf
The official poverty rate is the official poverty rate. The last poverty rates I read about the US had poverty at 14% The Texas poverty rate was 17%, and the California poverty rate was maybe 14.1%.

The Texas poverty rate is close to 3% above the national average from the last stats I read on the poverty of Texas. California's official poverty from the last reports I remember reading were much lower than Texas.

But again, as I have detailed California and Texas aren't really comparable.

So I don't know why you keep going back to that comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 11:38 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I live in TN, a state whose politics are fairly similar to Texas. We have low taxes, low wages, low regulation, and are a very business friendly state, yet Texas continues to progess economically, while other states like TN that should be booming, frankly, are hurting. Why?

Is the Texas boom primarily based on oil and other national resources that other states aren't blessed with?

Does the Texas boom exist outside the major cities? Like here, I've always read that TX has issues with poverty outside the major cities.

Are there other factors specific to TX causing it to boom while other states that attempt to mimic the TX miracle like TN falter?
Texas is booming thanks to the federal and state government.

The biggest employers in Texas is big gubiment. Only so many jobs in big gubiment. Sorry, you guys lose, too bad, TN is a beautiful state, much nicer than Texas, although Nashville is kinda cheesey.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:14 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Oil and Gas
Major international container port
UT Austin
Well funded and affordable higher education system
Warm weather and tourism
Border crossings and associated commerce
Seemingly endless supply of cheap labor and population growth from said border

The so called success of Texas happens despite its politics, not because of them.
I agree. First thought I had when I saw this thread title was large warm weather seaport near international shipping line and long international border with a lot of commerce. To say that somehow Texas political decisions and policies compared to other U.S. states is a significant factor in any economic success there really is a misunderstanding of the situation.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:18 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
The official poverty rate is the official poverty rate. The last poverty rates I read about the US had poverty at 14% The Texas poverty rate was 17%, and the California poverty rate was maybe 14.1%.

The Texas poverty rate is close to 3% above the national average from the last stats I read on the poverty of Texas. California's official poverty from the last reports I remember reading were much lower than Texas.

But again, as I have detailed California and Texas aren't really comparable.

So I don't know why you keep going back to that comparison.
The study I posted was published by the US Census last month. The poverty stats I quoted are coming directly from the US Census. Also, as I stated, CA is the only other state that is really comparable to TX. Do you think economists just throw a dart when they make comparisons?

Old 12-13-2013, 10:48 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
You are all 100% correct. Life is terrible here in Texas. We are all starving to death. Stop coming!!!!!

Old 12-14-2013, 08:00 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Texas is booming thanks to the federal and state government.

The biggest employers in Texas is big gubiment. Only so many jobs in big gubiment. Sorry, you guys lose, too bad, TN is a beautiful state, much nicer than Texas, although Nashville is kinda cheesey.
You are no where close to correct. Both fed and state have been closing many locations and Texas has half the military bases it had in the 80's. Yet growth continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies