Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 05:16 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
This happens to me whenever I visit my family in Alaska because practically everyone is a hardcore conservative republican (besides Anchorage, it's more like 50/50 there).

It doesn't matter if you are a Democrat or Republican...

Simply say, okay... I will tell you exactly why you should vote for (Republican) and you make a case as to why that person should be elected. If you say every point that your Republican friend/colleague/family member believes, they will automatically shut up. And now you ask them, okay so you thought I was brainwashed, now you prove to me you aren't the one who is brainwashed here. Most of the time, actually 100% of the time in my case, they cannot argue for the opposite side, which means they are the ones who are brainwashed.

You Bots ARE brainwashed.

You're worse than the Manson girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 06:05 AM

26,491 posts, read 15,070,512 times
My neighbor says all Obama detractors are brain washed and he thinks Obama is near messianic status.

He is very nosy and had been coming into my yard to talk politics uninvited frequently.

So the last time when he came on my property and brought up politics, but not Obama specifically - I set him up.

I said all politicians lie or twist the truth to some extent. He agreed and of course said Republicans do it 10 times more. I agreed that could potentially be the case, but got him to reaffirm that ALL politicians lie and twist the truth at least a bit.

I then pointed out that even Obama lies and twists the truth.

He got mad and said not Obama! Obama doesn't lie! So I said, you think "all" politicians lie except Obama? He didn't respond right away, so I just laughed, repeated "all politicians lie except Obama?" - so he could hear how ridiculous he sounds... and then I started pointing out specific Obama lies, flip flops, etc...

He then brought up out of the blue that Bush ran deficits. I quickly agreed that Bush was also a bad president than instantly continued pointing out more of Obama's disingenuous acts.

At this point he didn't say goodbye and just walked away. I followed while he was on my property and pointed out a few more Obama lies. He hasn't came back in months and I am fine with that.

It worked perfect.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:08 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
This happens to me whenever I visit my family in Alaska because practically everyone is a hardcore conservative republican (besides Anchorage, it's more like 50/50 there).

Simply say, okay... I will tell you exactly why you should vote for (Republican) and you make a case as to why that person should be elected. If you say every point that your Republican friend/colleague/family member believes, they will automatically shut up. And now you ask them, okay so you thought I was brainwashed, now you prove to me you aren't the one who is brainwashed here. Most of the time, actually 100% of the time in my case, they cannot argue for the opposite side, which means they are the ones who are brainwashed.
I speak from a position of facts and the constitution and can back up my claims in writing by the people who actually stated them. I've never been accused of being "brainwashed".

Old 12-27-2013, 06:28 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
I was discussing politics with a relative of mine yesterday (a Democrat). They said "I have always heard since I was a kid that the Democrats are for the people and the Republicans are for the rich". Good example of brainwashing and I told them so.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:45 AM

26,491 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I was discussing politics with a relative of mine yesterday (a Democrat). They said "I have always heard since I was a kid that the Democrats are for the people and the Republicans are for the rich". Good example of brainwashing and I told them so.
You are also brainwashed if you think that being pro-life and against the forcing of a church to pay for the morning after pill is "waging a war on women."

Old 12-27-2013, 06:50 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

I've heard that **** and bull story as well. My cousin works for one of the auto companies and is in the union, so I understand where he gets it from. At any rate, both of the 2 main parties have been doing a good job of selling out the American people to the mega corporations and banksters.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:51 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:

A little advice. If you don't want to be called "brainwashed", then don't repeat the stuff you hear on TV, see and hear politicians say, and don't make assumptions for what you argue based on those things.

Here's a hint: They're mostly false.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:55 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
I just try to change the conversation. If that doesn't work, I leave the room. I'm not interested in discussing politics with family, especially when every starting point is something that's been fed to them from a Fox News show or Drudge.

Them: "Did you hear about the kid who got kicked out of school for kissing a girl?" direct feed from some blog or Fox News, cue up the "liberals are turning everyone gay" rantings.

Me: Hey, those Toyotas are good cars.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:59 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I speak from a position of facts and the constitution and can back up my claims in writing by the people who actually stated them. I've never been accused of being "brainwashed".

Translation: I have a bunch of quotes lined up that Conservative blogs/talk show hosts have cherry picked from founding fathers to support my myopic extremist positions.

When someone states they are talking "facts", that usually what it really means.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:05 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,623,969 times
The one libertarians get most of the time is: "See, now that's why I could never be a libertarian" and it's always related to some unnecessary function of the government that the liberal/conservative thinks will destroy the Earth if the government stops doing it.

The one thing I have learned is that politics is one of those areas where it is very common to see people launch a debate they are wildly unprepared for because they know little to nothing besides whatever rhetoric they are parroting, and have done little research of their own beyond that. Anyone who says the words "brainwashed" in a debate is basically waving a white flag because they cannot counter you on some legitimate point. The ad hominem, like any fallacy, is used when logic and facts are no longer on your side.

So being called brainwashed is equivalent to being declared winner of that particular argument. It's the adult discussion way of stomping your feet, and then crying "I am taking my ball and going home!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies